National Defense Service Medal - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I also remember when a Marine had a National Defense Service Medal, and Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and Rifle Expert Badge 2nd Award he was the shizzle. If you had jump wings with that to you where a freaking stud.

If a Marine were AD until Sept 12th do they rate the NDSM? this may sound silly but Im sure a few Marines got the NDSM this way if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Ah ha! Now that makes some sense. Obviously the rules have changed since the last time the NDSM was awarded.

Thanks for clearing that one up Capt.
    Fixed LOL

Gunny Hardy, I don't see the NDSM on the stack in your sig. Am I just blind?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's not the Medal it's what it Stands For S/F

....This ribbon/medal was a BIG joke back in the 60's....walked out of boot with that ONE, silly ribbon!!! If you REALLY want one.....I'll send you MINE!!!!......HA!HA!HA!HA!

[
    ....."Doc Greek UP!!".....

Thank you 3522 - I went to the the signature site and the NDSM was checked, but it was not highlighted. I clicked and it is now showing. I wish they had all the state awards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    If a Marine were AD until Sept 12th do they rate the NDSM? this may sound silly but Im sure a few Marines got the NDSM this way if this is true.

I bet they did, including those in the reserves as well. Since this time around it was extended to the reserves as well. Semper

Yes, to answer Squishy's question. And that works with any other unit awards as well. For example, if the time period for a unit award (or even the NDSM) begins on 11 Sept 2001, and ends, say, on 9 December 2010, and you enter active duty on 9 December 2010, you rate said award. OR, if your EAS was 11 September 2001, even if on terminal leave from Active duty (you are still considered 'active'), you rate the award.

As long as you were serving during that time period, or any day thereof, you rate the award.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yes, to answer Squishy's question. And that works with any other unit awards as well. For example, if the time period for a unit award (or even the NDSM) begins on 11 Sept 2001, and ends, say, on 9 December 2010, and you enter active duty on 9 December 2010, you rate said award. OR, if your EAS was 11 September 2001, even if on terminal leave from Active duty (you are still considered 'active'), you rate the award.

As long as you were serving during that time period, or any day thereof, you rate the award.
    Thanks for that informative answer! I do know a person who was on terminal leave during 9/11, and had 56 days of leave that was approved.

I'm one of 'em. I went 'terminal' on 23 September with about that many as well. And the NDSM (2nd award) is on my DD-214, as is the GWOTSM. I figure the latter is the only award I'll get for being at the Pentagon on 9/11, so it actually means something more to me than most I guess.

I weep for what this country is becoming, and fear for my children and grandchildren's future if any more democrats gain national office. We lose more and more freedoms every single day to creeping nannystatism and those who vote for Democrats only want to increase that. Anyone voting for a 'dem' is someone who likely wants to take everything YOU have worked for and mortgage your kids future as well.
    v/r
    The Malignant Leprechaun

What is the meaning of "two or more periods" ? I was on active duty for 6 yrs. Do I get to wear the medal with 3 small bronze stars or 2 or just 1 ? I served Aug 1961 to July 1967. Served in Cuba blockade and a year in Vietnam.

Quote from Reg; "Sailors and Marines with active duty in two or more of the periods wear a small bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional eligibility period. "

Thank you for your service and attention to this post, Bob Pettit

Quote Originally Posted by bobpettit View Post
    What is the meaning of "two or more periods" ? I was on active duty for 6 yrs. Do I get to wear the medal with 3 small bronze stars or 2 or just 1 ? I served Aug 1961 to July 1967. Served in Cuba blockade and a year in Vietnam.

Quote from Reg; "Sailors and Marines with active duty in two or more of the periods wear a small bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional eligibility period. "

It appears you were active duty for one period,therefore only one medal.

"The next period of eligibility coincided with that of the Vietnam War, with duty between 01 Jan. 1961 and 14 Aug. 1974 being the criteria for the award, both dates inclusive. This amended period of eligibility was established by Executive Order 11265 of 11 January 1966. "

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    So, from the way I read this, a reservist who only goes to boot camp and SOI/MCT and school, is not qualified for the NDSM unless/until their unit is deployed or put on active duty status? But should/would not get one out of Boot camp? That's the way is was in my day, during the Nam years! I am just trying to get this straight in my old head.

I am sure we have some actve reserve members on the site, will someone please clear this up for me?

Thanks, and Semper Fi,

Dave
    I've got kids in my unit who have never deployed with 5 ribbons. WTF??? One is the National Defense ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobpettit View Post

I read the reg on this one -
    If you served during the Vietnam Era or earlier
    If you served during the 1st Gulf War
    If you served during the current conflicts

Between these periods the NDSM was not being awarded - Depending upon when you served you might qualifiy for 1 to 3 issuances of the medal. Because my service time on active duty and reserve time stretched across all three, I have two stars on mine. It only means you served during a time of crisis...no big deal.

Thread Information