National Defense Service Medal - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    The NAM-era NDSM was awarded for service up to 29 April 1975. I came in afterwards, so I only have two vice three.
    I know I have one from 1974, Semper Fidelis.

The National Defense Service Medal is a service medal of the United States Armed Forces established by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953. The medal was first intended to be a "blanket campaign medal" awarded to service members who served honorably during a designated time period of which a "national emergency" had been declared during a time of war or conflict. It may also be issued to active military members for any other period that the Secretary of Defense designates.

(As in the case as Rocky.)

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes Indeed Brother. Not many of us during that period have been issued it.

That is quite impressive Rocky. I would probably cherish that highly issued under circumstances that drives the Sec of Def to issue this medal aside those normally given war dates. Never heard of that before.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you Brother. It came at a price tho but I did my job.

Ah Yes! The National Defense medal. Commonly called the "Fire Watch" medal. I was awarded the medal; and have the medal in a drawer somewhere along with a few others. I thought it was issued to those who survived boot camp. If it wasn't, it should have been.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hahahahahaha, Love it Mitch, lol....

For those that survived boot camp during certain time periods. But....ya gotta have that time period. Just like joining American Legion.

I went to Viet Nam in August of 1965 and caught my freedom bird 22 August 1966. I was not a combat Marine. These are the ribbons I came home with. I do not apologize for any of that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribbons August 1966.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	29943

A few years ago while talking to a guy I was stationed with in Viet Nam, the talk turned to ribbons and he said we rated more than we had returned home with. I sent in a request for an update to my ribbons and awards. This is what they sent to me. They are official. I do not apologize for them. They do not embarrass me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribbons Current.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	29944

Is there something special about this medal? If there is I am not sure of it, mainly because right now everyone who completes bootcamp rates it same thing like the GWOT all you have to do is spend 30 days in the fleet and you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Ah Yes! The National Defense medal. Commonly called the "Fire Watch" medal. I was awarded the medal; and have the medal in a drawer somewhere along with a few others. I thought it was issued to those who survived boot camp. If it wasn't, it should have been.
    Odd how some of us look at things differently. My NDSM is a very special one for me. The reason and times for issuance of the medal is explained at: http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/facts...et.asp?id=7803

I was awarded the NDSM 3 times. Once for Vietnam, once for Desert Storm, and once for the War on Terror. You may dismiss it but it shows you served when your country needed you. I served hitches over a long period of time and I am proud that I was there when my country needed me. I was activated and in the process of going to Desert Storm, but as everyone knows, it didn't last very long.

I have a nice set of medals and ribbons, but when you serve over a course of some 40 years, and serve in two combat zones, you get a ribbon or two.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2794-3244573985.jpg‎
Views:	512
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	29946  

PS - everyone who served a full tour in Vietnam should have 3 service stars on their ribbon. There is a list of the various operations. I had a friend who was wondering how a communicator with 1st MAW had more service stars than a person who served with 1st MARDIV. I told him I didn't and that he was out of uniform. He checked with the admin chief and updated his rack. You see, it makes no difference where you served, only the time of service. It isn't about individual patrols and staying in the field. To earn service stars is to have served in country during specific times. Kind of takes the starch out of the stars doesn't it? The CAR is not far behind. No matter how much "combat" you saw, you must meet the requirements of being named by a SNCO or Officer and you must have exchanged small arms fire (fire fight). As a result of the way the rules were written, many people with Purple Hearts do not have a CAR, including those that were killed by incoming rockets and mortars. Those that were a part of a group that repelled sappers or others who guarded the perimeter did not qualify under the rules for a CAR. Because of that, it takes away a lot from those that earned it but was never awarded the ribbon. Just ask any Wing Wiper about the number of times they had to go through s#!t; had buddies killed, etc. and nobody got jack for it. At least the NDSM recognizes everyone who served during a time of National defense, regardless of where they served. Without the efforts of our members in MOSs such as logistics, those in the field would never have what they needed to carry out their missions. The second award I was given (not earned) was the MUC. After boot, I went to ITR, but my company was not up to strength for training. We were all Marines destined for various "A" schools and did not go through the long course in ITR. It took 2 weeks to get enough people to train. In the meanwhile, I was farmed out to 2nd Service BN (officially on the books). I spent 2 weeks picking up paper and cleaning up the rec rooms. 6 years later when I made SSgt, my roommate was the Admin Chief at Camp Foster and he sent off for an update on my awards. It came back with a letter that said the 2nd Service BN was awarded the MUC for support of combat activities in Vietnam. Because I was attached to them for 2 weeks on police duty, I was given the award.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Is there something special about this medal? If there is I am not sure of it, mainly because right now everyone who completes bootcamp rates it same thing like the GWOT all you have to do is spend 30 days in the fleet and you get it.
    For some of us it represents a huge sacrifice that we live with everyday. Some can't talk about it, some won't.

Thread Information