National Defense Service Medal - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think it is the floppy rain hat we had in Nam.

Oohrah Pocatellodave,well said!

S/F

Redclyde!

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Steve my wife and I are on a fixed income.I retired from the Post Office so we have it better than most,and I'm thankful for that.Why don't they tax the people who pay a lot of money to a lawyer so they can beat the system,and pay less taxes?The middle class carry this Country,and I'm proud to be middle class!
    I said the same thing a few weeks back. If the people who use lawyers to get a tax settlement would just pay up what they owe, it would lift a big burden off of everyone's shoulders. It makes me made every time I see those commercials, especially when they say they hablo espanoil. Then if we could fix the welfare system to assist the needed and not the lazy, we wouldn't have a tax problem in this country.

Next subject: NDSM

I have received many decorations over the course of 40+ years..18 Federal and 4 State. I was recently asked which award I held in the highest esteem. I said it was the National Defense Medal. The reason is that it has 2 stars showing I received it 3 times. It is the medal that shows my longevity during some trying times in our history...Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the War on Terror. I served in Vietnam when I was 20 and in Iraq when I was 58. Wish I could could have continued serving. At the same time, if a Marine did not serve during any of the periods that rated the NDSM, so what...the fact that you served meant you were willing to go...I respect you for that just as much as if you had a chest full of ribbons.
    Semper Fi Brothers

William Hardy, Your HARDCORP and I would be proud to shake your hand. Your the type of MARINE I always wanted to be right up to the point that they lost my Re-enlistment Doucument. and I suddenly realized I could no longer provide for my family being shipped out to Okinawa, with out my wife getting my BAQ and Comrats along with my pay totaling $850. a month living on Base. I got out to be a Cop and go back to school so I could go back in as a Warrant Officer on a GunShip. But when I went back The Marine Corp denied me because I had too many dependants. It would have been alright if we had all of kids while I was on active duty.... I have kicked my self in the ass ever since. I take my hat off to you William Hardy, You really make me proud to have been a MARINE.
    SEMPER FI.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Was the National Defense Medal awarded after Boot Camp PI in 1966. Was there any other awards given to all recruits at graduation. My memory fails me after nearly 50 years. I finally took a position as "Sergeant at Arms" at an Amvets post. We are required to wear a cover at the meetings. I've seen some of the other "old salts" covers adorned with pins and I'd like to add some to mine when I get mine next month.

Quote Originally Posted by nfountai View Post
    Was the National Defense Medal awarded after Boot Camp PI in 1966. Was there any other awards given to all recruits at graduation. My memory fails me after nearly 50 years. I finally took a position as "Sergeant at Arms" at an Amvets post. We are required to wear a cover at the meetings. I've seen some of the other "old salts" covers adorned with pins and I'd like to add some to mine when I get mine next month.
    Yes. What you do is look at your DD214 and it will show what you have earned. You can always ask for a records check. You might have earned some ribbons or medals that you did not know about at the time of your discharge. I recommend you go to:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

They will not only send you a copy of your military records, they will also send you all the medals and ribbons you rate and they even take the time to have them engraved with your name on the back of the medals.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm telling Yah Gunny H anymore of those Decorations and We will have to Hold You up with a Crane LOL! Oh speaking of Ribbons Cpl.Billy Collins your out of Uniform Brother You rate the PUC for Operation Meade River the 3rd Bn.26th Marines were Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation.Go Easy Semper Fi

Mine are for being there - only 2 for achievement - none for combat action
    After 42 years, they add up - Some like my VN service medal has 3 stars..how I got 3 is beyond me when a lot of combat Marines only had 1. You have to remember that I got the standard ribbons for Nam and then the standard ones for Iraq. Then, because I was in the National Guard, I got a couple of more for being activated, like the Reserve Achievement Medal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your a Good Man Gunny H! My Cover goes off too Yah Go Easy Semper Fi

Someone on some other forum posted that he wrote to DOD about the NDSM, and that they were looking into considering it for the years 1974-1990. My only guess is that the period that covers those years involved Beruit, Grenada, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Iranian Crisis, Afghanistan invasion and Panama. Or proxy wars of the 1980's. Though this wasn't mentioned, apparently this was considered, but however, it was later mentioned by decorations officer that there were no further plans to expand the NDSM. An NDSM seems appropriate for this time frame. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Someone on some other forum posted that he wrote to DOD about the NDSM, and that they were looking into considering it for the years 1974-1990. My only guess is that the period that covers those years involved Beruit, Grenada, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Iranian Crisis, Afghanistan invasion and Panama. Or proxy wars of the 1980's. Though this wasn't mentioned, apparently this was considered, but however, it was later mentioned by decorations officer that there were no further plans to expand the NDSM. An NDSM seems appropriate for this time frame. Too bad.
    Vietnam, Semper Fidelis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ronnie , I'm back !!!

Any new tat's ?

Good to see you Brother !!!

29palms, If you or anyone were on an MEU during that time period you rate it.

I thought it only had to do with Korea, Vietnam, and Persian Gulf, war on terrorism. Are you sure about this Rocky? National Defense Service Medal?

I received two for my service between 1975-2005 ...

Extract DOD Manual 1348.33,Volume 2, dated November 23, 2010 Incorporating Change 2, May 15, 2015

14. NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICEMEDAL (NDSM)
    a. Introduction. The NDSM was establishedby E.O. 10448 (Reference (aw)). The NDSM was intended to be a “blanket campaignmedal” issued to any member of the U.S. Military who served during a designatedtime period for which a “national emergency” had been declared. It is theoldest service medal that is still issued to the active military.
    b. Award Category. DoD CE&S medal –Personal Service Medal.
    c. Eligibility Requirements
    (1) Eligibility Criteria
    (a) General. The NDSM is awarded toanyone who serves on active duty in the U.S. Military during the authorizedtime periods. For service in the Gulf War and GWOT, it is also authorized forReserve Component members provided they are military reservists in goodstanding. This implies that a reservist must be in a drill status and also beparticipating in regular annual training. The NDSM is further authorized tostudents at the service academies, but is NOT granted to discharged or retiredveterans who did not serve during one of the time periods for which the NDSMhas been authorized for award. The decoration is also NOT authorized to membersof the inactive reserve.
    (b) Korean War and Vietnam War. Awardedfor honorable active service as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces for anyperiod between June 27, 1950, and July 27, 1954, or between January 1, 1961,and August 14, 1974. During those periods, Service members who were in the followingcategories are NOT eligible for the NDSM:
    1. Members of the Guard and ReserveForces on short tours of active duty to fulfill training obligations under aninactive duty training program.
    2. Any Service member on temporary duty(TDY) or temporary additional duty (TAD) for the sole purpose of serving onboards, courts, commissions, or similar organizations.
    3. Any Service member on active dutyfor the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination.
    (c) Gulf War. Awarded for honorableservice as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces for any period between August 2,1990, and November 30, 1995. Service members on active duty, members of theSelected Reserve in good standing, and members other than the Selected Reservewho were called to active duty are eligible. During this period, Servicemembers who were in the following categories are NOT eligible:
    1. Any Service member on active dutyfor the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination.DoDM 1348.33-V2,November 23, 2010 Change 2, 5/15/2015 ENCLOSURE 3 60
    2. Any member of the Individual ReadyReserve, the Inactive National Guard or the Standby, or Retired Reserve whoseactive duty service was for training only, or to serve on boards, courts,commissions, and similar organizations.
    (d) Persian Gulf Crisis. E.O. 12776(Reference (ax)) states that the NDSM may be awarded to an individual who was amember in good standing of a Reserve Component of the U.S. Armed Forces duringa period designated by the Secretary of Defense as the period of the PersianGulf crisis. The Persian Gulf crisis is referred to as the Gulf War in thetable that lists designated NDSM award periods found at:http://prhome.defense.gov/MPP/OEPM/functions.aspx.
    (e) War on Terrorism. Awarded forhonorable service as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces for any period betweenSeptember 11, 2001, to a termination date TBD. E.O. 13293 (Reference (ay))extended eligibility for award of the NDSM to members in good standing in theSelected Reserve of the U.S. Armed Forces by amending Reference (aw).
    (f) Other Periods. Any other periodthat the Secretary of Defense designates as being a period for which activemilitary service merits special recognition.
    (g) Reserve Component Eligibility Basedon AFEM, VSM, or SWASM Service. Notwithstanding the eligibility limitationslisted in subparagraphs 14.c.(1)(b) through 14.c.(1)(f), any member of theReserve Component of the U.S. Armed Forces who, between January 1, 1961, andAugust 14, 1974, became eligible for award of either the Armed Forces ExpeditionaryMedal or the Vietnam Service Medal, or between August 2, 1990, and November 30,1995, became eligible for award of the SWASM, is eligible for award of theNDSM.
    (h) Exceptions. Exceptions to policycriteria in subparagraphs 14.c.(1)(b)1. and 14.c.(1)(b)2. of this enclosure,may be granted by the Military Departments.
    (i) Posthumous Award. The NDSM may beawarded posthumously.
    (j) USPHS Officers. USPHS officers areeligible for the NDSM. See Volume 3 of this Manual for specific procedures todetermine appropriate award authorities and procedures.
    (2) Definitions. See Glossary.
    d. Foreign Military Personnel. The NDSM isnot authorized for award to foreign personnel.
    e. Procedures
    (1) The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs ofStaff shall recommend to the Secretary of Defense, through the USD(P&R), aperiod for which active military service merits special recognition with theNDSM.
    (2) The award recommendation, at aminimum, will include:DoDM 1348.33-V2, November 23, 2010 Change 2, 5/15/2015ENCLOSURE 3 61
    (a) Justification for activation of theNDSM.
    (b) Proposed inclusive dates for award.
    (3) Each Military Department shallprescribe appropriate regulations for administrative processing, awarding, andwearing of the NDSM, ribbon, and appurtenances.
    f. Approval Authority
    (1) Army: See Reference (ag).
    (2) Navy and Marine Corps: SeeReference (ah). (ah) Secretary of the Navy Instruction 1650.1, “Navy and Marine CorpsAwards Manual,” August 22, 2006
    (3) Air Force: See Reference (ai).
    g. Order of Precedence. The NDSM is wornafter the Army of Occupation or Naval Occupation Service Medal or Air ForceRecognition Ribbon and before the Korean Service Medal.
    h. Subsequent Awards
    (1) Individuals are only presented aNDSM upon initial award.
    (2) One bronze service star shall beworn on the suspension and service ribbon of the NDSM to denote honorableservice during each designated conflict for which the NDSM is authorized. Forexample, a Service member who served honorably from 1972 through 1992 wouldwear a single bronze service star on the NDSM to denote honorable serviceduring the following authorized conflicts: Vietnam Conflict (January 1, 1961,to August 14, 1974); and Gulf War (August 2, 1990, to November 30, 1995).
    (3) A list of the designated conflicts andassociated inclusive dates authorized for award of the NDSM can be found at:http://prhome.defense.gov/MPP/OEPM/functions.aspx.
    i. Authorized Devices. The service star isauthorized for wear on the NDSM The service star is a bronze or silverfive-pointed star, 3/16 inch in diameter. A silver star is worn in lieu of fivebronze service stars.
    j. Illustration and Description. SeeAppendix 2 of this enclosure.

Thread Information