National Defense Service Medal - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    In 1965 when I graduated from boot camp no one in my series or company at ITR had any ribbons except prior service. I did not see anyone wear any ribbons except the higher ranks or the men returning from vietnam. I stood many inspections and no one wore just the NDSM. We weren't issued them in boot camp (we weren't issued the vietnam medals either had to buy them in Okinawa) They weren't even on my first DD214 but were all on my second 214.

I remember when I graduated boot camp the only award I had was my Rifle Badge, and we all felt like kings when we got our Rifle Badges. 9/11 had just happened less than a month when I graduated. The NDSM wasn't awarded until sometime the following year in 2002. I got it when I was in the fleet, I remember feeling pretty good about getting that medal/ribbon. I felt 20 feet tall, even though everyone had it. I didn't get my other ribbons until after I got out. I received my Global War on Terror Service Medal in 2007. I didn't even know it existed, until a friend of mine told me. The GWOTSM was authorized in 2004, I feel I earned due to the fact that when the BN was deployed to Iraq in 2003, I was left in charge of the Barracks while they where deployed.(I was on medical hold) I feel I performed "Supporting the War on Terror Criteria". I also hold it in value because it took me 3 years to get it, instead of 30 Days. I just recently received my Meritorious Unit Commendation back in Oct of this year. It was authorized back in 2004, for service from 2000-2002 with the Marine Corps Recruiting Command. Both of these where awarded when I got out. Some say the NDSM, and GWOTSM are gimmie awards. I do not consider them gimmie awards, yes you may get them after serving so many days. However in the Marine Corps you will earn them eventually. The one thing I disagree with on the NDSM is Marines who graduate Boot Camp, get it, and then go to SOI, and get a Entry Level Seperation for being a Turd.

I also remember when a Marine had a National Defense Service Medal, and Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and Rifle Expert Badge 2nd Award he was the shizzle. If you had jump wings with that to you where a freaking stud.

If a Marine were AD until Sept 12th do they rate the NDSM? this may sound silly but Im sure a few Marines got the NDSM this way if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Ah ha! Now that makes some sense. Obviously the rules have changed since the last time the NDSM was awarded.

Thanks for clearing that one up Capt.
    Fixed LOL

Gunny Hardy, I don't see the NDSM on the stack in your sig. Am I just blind?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's not the Medal it's what it Stands For S/F

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....This ribbon/medal was a BIG joke back in the 60's....walked out of boot with that ONE, silly ribbon!!! If you REALLY want one.....I'll send you MINE!!!!......HA!HA!HA!HA!

Thank you 3522 - I went to the the signature site and the NDSM was checked, but it was not highlighted. I clicked and it is now showing. I wish they had all the state awards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    If a Marine were AD until Sept 12th do they rate the NDSM? this may sound silly but Im sure a few Marines got the NDSM this way if this is true.

I bet they did, including those in the reserves as well. Since this time around it was extended to the reserves as well. Semper

Yes, to answer Squishy's question. And that works with any other unit awards as well. For example, if the time period for a unit award (or even the NDSM) begins on 11 Sept 2001, and ends, say, on 9 December 2010, and you enter active duty on 9 December 2010, you rate said award. OR, if your EAS was 11 September 2001, even if on terminal leave from Active duty (you are still considered 'active'), you rate the award.

As long as you were serving during that time period, or any day thereof, you rate the award.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yes, to answer Squishy's question. And that works with any other unit awards as well. For example, if the time period for a unit award (or even the NDSM) begins on 11 Sept 2001, and ends, say, on 9 December 2010, and you enter active duty on 9 December 2010, you rate said award. OR, if your EAS was 11 September 2001, even if on terminal leave from Active duty (you are still considered 'active'), you rate the award.

As long as you were serving during that time period, or any day thereof, you rate the award.
    Thanks for that informative answer! I do know a person who was on terminal leave during 9/11, and had 56 days of leave that was approved.

I'm one of 'em. I went 'terminal' on 23 September with about that many as well. And the NDSM (2nd award) is on my DD-214, as is the GWOTSM. I figure the latter is the only award I'll get for being at the Pentagon on 9/11, so it actually means something more to me than most I guess.

What is the meaning of "two or more periods" ? I was on active duty for 6 yrs. Do I get to wear the medal with 3 small bronze stars or 2 or just 1 ? I served Aug 1961 to July 1967. Served in Cuba blockade and a year in Vietnam.

Quote from Reg; "Sailors and Marines with active duty in two or more of the periods wear a small bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional eligibility period. "

Thank you for your service and attention to this post, Bob Pettit

Quote Originally Posted by bobpettit View Post
    What is the meaning of "two or more periods" ? I was on active duty for 6 yrs. Do I get to wear the medal with 3 small bronze stars or 2 or just 1 ? I served Aug 1961 to July 1967. Served in Cuba blockade and a year in Vietnam.

Quote from Reg; "Sailors and Marines with active duty in two or more of the periods wear a small bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional eligibility period. "

Thank you for your service and attention to this post, Bob Pettit
    It appears you were active duty for one period,therefore only one medal.

"The next period of eligibility coincided with that of the Vietnam War, with duty between 01 Jan. 1961 and 14 Aug. 1974 being the criteria for the award, both dates inclusive. This amended period of eligibility was established by Executive Order 11265 of 11 January 1966. "

Thread Information