National Defense Service Medal - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    It's not that I need another item on my salad bar, it just irks me that the MC is handing out ribbons now almost as easy as the other branches, when for so long it was tough to get anything other than GCM. I remember getting back from Lebanon and Grenada with 9 ribbons and having E-7 and up *****ing about it and asking for proof that I was entitled to them. Now seems like anyone with a year or more of service is wearing a full service salad buffet.

Besides, as a Marine we don't need ribbons or medals to validate our worth and purpose to America, its people or to the world. We get that validation in our daily life both internal and externally.

I do happen to agree with you. When I got out the first time in 1989, I had 4 ribbons (and one of them was from the Air Force!) after 2 WestPac's and multiple other deployments.

After doing just one teeney little "med" float that happened to involve an embassy evac and Kosovo, I think we got something like 5 medals and ribbons just for that. I had young Marines who went out on that float 'slick' chested who came back with: JMUC, NUC, Humanitarian Service, & SSDR, and then a year later comes the KCM and NATO medal and another NUC. That's seven total awards for one float! Those who got end of tour NAM's or GCM's at the normal time looked like freakin war heroes!

I understand exactly what you are saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Native Warrior
    It's not that I need another item on my salad bar, it just irks me that the MC is handing out ribbons now almost as easy as the other branches, when for so long it was tough to get anything other than GCM. I remember getting back from Lebanon and Grenada with 9 ribbons and having E-7 and up *****ing about it and asking for proof that I was entitled to them. Now seems like anyone with a year or more of service is wearing a full service salad buffet.

Besides, as a Marine we don't need ribbons or medals to validate our worth and purpose to America, its people or to the world. We get that validation in our daily life both internal and externally.
    You got that right ribbons don't make the warrior.

I just checked my "DD-214" for Decorations ......

It says ... "Good Conduct Medal, 1st. Award" ... "Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal" ... "National Defense Service Medal".

It didn't say anything about the "Vietnam Service Medal" although I was in Nam during 1965.

I did a search and found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Expeditionary_Medal

Sgt. Lep, you can call it the fire watch ribbon, pogey bait ribbon or what ever, but please note the end date of 1954 and restart date of 1961. Those years in between are excluded for the NDSM unless one is eligible for the AFEM. I just discovered a few weeks back that in 1961, Pres. Kennedy signed the authorization for the AFEM for Taiwan Strait involvement covering 23 AUG 1958 to 01 JAN 1959. I am in the process of attempting to get my records fixed so that I can "officially wear" the NDSM and the AFEM. My travel arrangements to Taiwan in Aug '58 were courtesy of Pres. Ike. Our rules of engagement tied our hands, so if they ran, all we could do was chase the b-terds back across the border for our ROC brothers.

I think i got a fare amount for what i did in the corps and one CerCom for actions in Combat, thats bout it so i'm not stacked but thats pretty standerd for an 0311 these days.

1 CAR
    1 GWOTSM
    1 GC
    1 OIF
    2 SDSea
    1 NDSR

Arrow Thank you and Greetings!

Hey Marines!

I wanted to check out some stuff relative to this "Firewatch Medal" I was awarded for not getting thrown out for my first 180 days in the Corps. My current employer is well meaning but would not know the difference between a National Defense Medal and an American Defence Medal or even a China Service Medal! (You know how it goes with civilians so I don't need to tell you.)

Thank you, Sgt Leprechaun for starting and maintaining the topic!

If anyone needs anything, "Gray Up!" has a habit of working. At the moment, I am short on Pogey Bait but not too bad on ammo!

Gung Ho!!!

It amazes me how easily the other services give out ribbons and medals, My best friend joined the Air Force and went to BMT at the same time I joined the Marine Corps and left for recruit training, He graduated boot camp with four ribbons on his chest. I remember getting pictures mailed to me of his graduation then looking at some of the Drill Instructors and some had four and then a few had three. It amazes me the readiness to hand out something that should be sacred and revered in the United States military service.

It's been a common complaint from Marines since at least the 1980's.

Look at it this way, you'll EARN your ribbons and medals through every drop of sweat, strain, blood and tears. You may not have many of them, but you'll damn well know what they are for.

I am trying to figure out why MOL has said for years that I rate 2 ndsm's... I joined in jan 2003.... Ive never worn a star with it, but it does say I rate it...Must be a typo...

Quite likely, yeah. It happens. You can check with your admin section to try and get it fixed.

Yes, it was likely a typo.

Now a days, with the frequent deployments of some units, it's not uncommon to see some Marines like myself with quite a few ribbons and medals after doing numerous consecutive tours to hostile areas.

I just recently graduated boot camp from PI and on graduation day, after the ceremony, the people in the clothing store sold all the new Marines the NDSM to go with the ribbon. They said it was awarded to anyone who joined the military service in a time of war now. Since we are still in wars with Iraq and Afghanistan, everyone pretty much gets it now...

correct.

Quote Originally Posted by joecoul89 View Post
    I just recently graduated boot camp from PI and on graduation day, after the ceremony, the people in the clothing store sold all the new Marines the NDSM to go with the ribbon. They said it was awarded to anyone who joined the military service in a time of war now. Since we are still in wars with Iraq and Afghanistan, everyone pretty much gets it now...
    When we were awarded that ribbon we got the medal with it.

Thread Information