National Defense Service Medal - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    The Short Version:

National Defense Service Medal (NDSM) – AUTHORIZED CONFLICTS

The table below lists the designated conflicts and associated inclusive dates authorized for award
    of the NDSM . The Military Departments are responsible for determining individual eligibility
    for the NDSM. Please refer individual eligibility questions to your respective Military
    Department.

Conflict/Inclusive Dates

Korean War June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954

Vietnam Conflict January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974

Gulf War August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995

War on Terrorism September 11, 2001 to TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Ronnie , I'm back !!!

Any new tat's ?

Good to see you Brother !!!

29palms, If you or anyone were on an MEU during that time period you rate it.
    Good to see you back Rocky, I haven't been on for quite sometime myself, busy with the construction season and the ground up restoration on my Vette, no new tats but when I get more ink it will be a Marine theme, Carry on and Semper Fidelis Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    I received two for my service between 1975-2005 ...
    It still had to be awarded in 75 because of Nam, Semper Fidelis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    I thought it only had to do with Korea, Vietnam, and Persian Gulf, war on terrorism. Are you sure about this Rocky? National Defense Service Medal?
    I was awarded one in 1978 for an MEU I was with. Can't say much more than that TSSC, OPSEC but it was peacetime service period.... Cold War....

mmmm.....Rocky, check it out again, are you sure it wasn't a Sea Expeditionary Medal? Or Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal? Everything I'm reading on this points to strictly Korea, Vietnam Persian Gulf, and War on Terrorism. Didn't know they offered it during peace time.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Of course I'm sure !!!

Did you see this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300

Of course I'm sure !!!

Did you see this ?

That period covers the Gulf War and the War on Terrorism. But if you don't want to believe what DoD puts out there is nothing I can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    It still had to be awarded in 75 because of Nam, Semper Fidelis.
    The NAM-era NDSM was awarded for service up to 29 April 1975. I came in afterwards, so I only have two vice three.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TolzerVman View Post
    That period covers the Gulf War and the War on Terrorism. But if you don't want to believe what DoD puts out there is nothing I can do about that.
    I don't know what more I can tell you. Cold War period, on an MEU, in Europe, engaged by someone, awarded a NDSM which is unheard of during peacetime because it is a Wartime medal and I can't go further.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    It's kind of funny that people assume a Marine doesn't know what medal he has. Like we can't tell the difference between a Good Conduct Medal and a Navy Cross. LOL

Gee I got this Medal Of Honor when all this time I thought it was an Overseas Service Ribbon.

Last edited by USMC 2571; 12-11-15 at 05:32 PM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hahahaha. I know Dave.

Rocky: I am not doubting you have the NDSM. It is possible that it was given out as an Admin Error. You are not the first person I saw have an award on their DD Form 214 that should not have been on there. It was awarded and you accepted it. Or maybe there is a Department of Navy authorization that none of us are aware of.

My answer was to show the two for Kegler300's time in service that covered two periods where the NDSM was authorized.

Of course I'm sure !!!

Did you see this ?

The way I read this is he got the NDSM in 1975 for Vietnam and another during the Persian Gulf War 90-95. Should have three, the last for GWOT???

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TolzerVman View Post
    Rocky: I am not doubting you have the NDSM. It is possible that it was given out as an Admin Error. You are not the first person I saw have an award on their DD Form 214 that should not have been on there. It was awarded and you accepted it. Or maybe there is a Department of Navy authorization that none of us are aware of.

My answer was to show the two for Kegler300's time in service that covered two periods where the NDSM was authorized.
    No mistake. I also received a Met service medal. The authorization came from the Sec of the Navy.

I know you were talking about Keglar.

Kind of strange how DOD determines "State of Emergency". What constitutes? Do they go by numbers deployed? Gravity of the situation? I would assume a state of emergency would be like if our homeland was being attacked. Our citizens in imminent danger. Fighting the enemy in our shores. I suppose Korea and Vietnam was viewed as in stopping the world from communism, and Persian Gulf War viewed as to keep Saddam in check.

I don't know how the cold war with various engagements and state of alertness weighs less than global war on terrorism. I am not gun-ho about the cold war medal, certificate, whatever, but I have to admit, they do have a valid point when it comes to the NDSM. I don't believe in a stand alone cold war medal, but I am in favor of an NDSM issued out to cold war veterans if recognition is to be given to this group. Retroactively.

Thread Information