National Defense Service Medal - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Thanks Sgt Leprechaun, I feel that Head Quarters Marine Corps needs to add another era to the list: Early 1980's (not for me, I went Active Reserve in 1976, and Discharged in 1978, 6-years total) and here is my reasoning: In 1983, I was a Contract Security Police Officer at Armed Forces Radio & Television. I was in the Broadcast Studio with Wolfman Jack when an Emergency Military Notification came across the Teletype. 235 Marines had just been murdered by some Raghead in an Automobile packed full of exsplosives in Beirut, Lebanon. The Post Commander at AFRAT gave the entire roll of incoming information to donate to my neighbor Mrs. Donna Valone. One of her two Son's (both MARINES), Donny Valone was killed in that attack. He was 19. The Marine Corps Band marched down our street out of respect, and when they played the Marine Corps Hymn, myself and two of my neighbors "Snapped" to attention. Another neighbor said that we looked like Idiots. He explained that he was in the Green Beret's and the Army does not require you to stand at attention. I informed him that even though we are not in Uniform, we are still and will always be MARINES and that it is the PRIDE that swells up in us that makes do it, Not the Corps requirement and we realyy don't care what he thinks because we DO understand.... him being a doggie and all.

Last edited by sgthammer; 10-03-11 at 10:03 PM. Reason: My typing got ahead of my grey matter & and I typed the same word twice. SEMPER FI !

Aye. Well said.

National Defense Service Medal

Sgt Leprechaun, in your readings did you or have you seen what qualified as active duty during the periods stated for Vietnam era?

Thanks
    snakeman2502

Snakeman, basically it has to be 'non training' Active duty. Recruit Training, MOS school, etc, typically doesn't count.

hey guys do you remember leaving boot camp and thinking only the few would ever make it through boot camp. I guess the marine corps feel the same way and this medal is showing their appreciation for the troops.

I think a few Marines had that thought run through their minds Nightstalker,but they sucked it up and got the job done.The NDM is a Medal awarded during times when we are defending America against any enemy.Maybe some branches of the military award people for making it through boot camp,I really don't know that for sure.The Marine Corps has a Recruiting and D.I. medal,which I can't recall being in effect when I was in the Corps.
    It's the guys you see wearing Recon hats and rows of ribbons they don't deserve what they are wearing that bothers me.I will ask them a few questions,and you can catch them in their lies very quickly.Every one can't be recon or a sniper.Someone has to cook,fix things etc.You have to have very low self esteem to do such things,and it bothers me because there were Brother Marines who where killed or wounded for them awards!

Steve my wife and I are on a fixed income.I retired from the Post Office so we have it better than most,and I'm thankful for that.Why don't they tax the people who pay a lot of money to a lawyer so they can beat the system,and pay less taxes?The middle class carry this Country,and I'm proud to be middle class!

Hey Jarheads, great threads by the way. In all my years, I have YET to meet a MARINE wearing ribbons they don't rate. It's a Brotherhood, Honor, & Disipline thing I believe. Even though I joined three years before the end of the South-East Asian War Games, I could NEVER get transfered to a Hot-Spot NO matter how had I begged and I hated their guts for it but now I realized they saved my life to help my Family become better Americans. I ONLY have two ribbons: National Defense and Good Conduct. I'm Proud of them, not because of what they are, but of WHO I was at the time... A United States Marine ! Not a Swabby, or a Doggie, or some Eagle Crapper, But a REAL Leatherneck... I'm Damn Proud and thats something that can never be taken away from me.

PROUD on the Parade Field

When I Graduated back in 69 I Volunteered and wor the NDSM like I had WON it it has nothind to do with Salad Bars or rows or anything!but in saying that I am so proud of My Marines that I would trade places with any Married Marine who has to play in ANY sandbox!
    never mind the NDSM we Joined we fought (some of us) came back changed forever but one thing NEVER CHANGED WE ARE MARINES and always will be
    Semper Fi
    John Baker
    Vietnam vet USMC

Talking Here's what I think !

Dirtyrish , please fill out your profile more , it doesn't make sense !

Last edited by Carpshooter; 01-27-12 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling and looking a second time

Credits
    Savings
    i remember when i first went in the Corps (1974) and i saw those old salts with a star on their fire watch. i thought that was the 'old guys'. then in dersert shield/strom it got authorized again, and i got a star. i rememebred that-wow, now i'm the 'old guy'.
    you can stop a check, but you can't stop the clock.

DI quote when thet passed it out: "red is the blood you've never shed, blue is the seas you've never sailed, and yellow is the reason why. now put it in your seabags!"

Credits
    Savings
    OK. lets see if I got this right, I was active from 1959 to 1963 and I should
    be eligible for a national defense even though on my DD214 says I am only
    award is a good conduct. Wear will I find the room, lets see, on the right or
    the left side of my good conduct ribbon. Now I try to stay away from the left
    as much as possible so,,,I guess it will go on the right.

The medal was called the firewatch ribbon in 1954.

Looks like I got a star on mine, something I didn't know, but now I can't find the medal and my good conduct medal with a star.LOL. But I was always proud to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    I think a few Marines had that thought run through their minds Nightstalker,but they sucked it up and got the job done.The NDM is a Medal awarded during times when we are defending America against any enemy.Maybe some branches of the military award people for making it through boot camp,I really don't know that for sure.The Marine Corps has a Recruiting and D.I. medal,which I can't recall being in effect when I was in the Corps.
    It's the guys you see wearing Recon hats and rows of ribbons they don't deserve what they are wearing that bothers me.I will ask them a few questions,and you can catch them in their lies very quickly.Every one can't be recon or a sniper.Someone has to cook,fix things etc.You have to have very low self esteem to do such things,and it bothers me because there were Brother Marines who where killed or wounded for them awards!
    What is a Recon hat? Are you talking about a ball cap which says Recon on the front?

Thread Information