National Defense Service Medal - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Fi Marine

You rate the National Defense medal. You may rate the good conduct. There was a change to policy somewhere along the line, not sure when...at any rate, I did 11 1/2 years active and was awarded the GC 3 times (6 months short for the 4th). Later I joined the Army National Guard. I never received a good conduct when I retired the first time. After I went back in to do a tour in Iraq, admin went through my records and ended up with several awards that were overlooked the first time around..mostly reservist medals and ribbons, but it did include the Army Good Conduct for years I spent in the Guard. When I finally retired at age 59, my records had been updated. I requested my records from St. Louis and got a large package with all my service records, both Marine and Army. A little later they sent me a package with all my medals and ribbons. You should do that...request your records. Whatever you get is what you rate.

Semper Fi

As a reservist it's pretty tough to get awards actually. Alot of people just have the NDSM for joining during the war on terrorism. We have to be activated 30+ days to get the GWOT service award, but that can be stateside though if your deployed the time req. is waived. All other awards for us it pretty much takes a deployment to get anything. All in all, it's hard for reservists who don't get deployed to get some "chest candy".

Marines,
    I appreciate all the feedback. Just to be safe, I have already gone to the other site and removed the reference to the National Defence and Good Conduct medals. I think it best to leave them off, until I see something from the government positively documenting my eligibility for them. Like I said, I don't want to show something I did not earn. Too many intentional posers out there. We don't need unintentional ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    ....This ribbon/medal was a BIG joke back in the 60's....walked out of boot with that ONE, silly ribbon!!! If you REALLY want one.....I'll send you MINE!!!!......HA!HA!HA!HA!
    Be cool...be cool DocHIP

National Defense Medal

Like I said I should have got one,but I really don't care,They told me the reords building burnt down,and they lost a lot of records.I got a Good Conduct medal and an Armed Forces Expeditionary medal.Should have gotten A couple of Vietnam Medals,but didn't so no big deal.I'm just proud to be a Marine!
    Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    I might be all wet but I thought one unit was authorized after the fact to wear it from the Grenada/Lebanon fiasco. I belive it was an artillery unit from LeJuene. Native Warrior the NDSM is almost like the awarding of the Legion of Merit upon a retirement of a BGen or above or a E-8/9 if the Marine hasn't stepped on toes. In regards to proving that you rated a bunch of fruit salad in the 80's I seen that first hand. Durnig change of command about 3-4 had FAR more fruit salad than the SgtMaj, soooo he had them remove some and only wear individual awards and bravery awards. This applied to E's and O's even if it was Vietnam awards! Come to find out the SgtMaj was just shy of 30 and HAD NOT ever been overseas!! He had if I recall just a Naval Acheivement, NDSM & GCM. The new CO was a Pentagon/HQMC type he had just GCM,Sea Service,NUC & Legion of Merit(was a retread and a padingus) Several senior NCO's requested mast but to no avail. If they weren't close to retirement I think they would've requested mast straight up to the Commanding General 2nd MarDiv

If I remember correctly, the awarding of the National Defense Medal is by date. I don't recall any special exceptions. The last 3 times were for the Vietnam Era, Desert Storm, and the current War on Terror. There are guys at different locations that have earned combat awards for special assignment, but did not get the NDSM. Grenada was going in to help them, not a "national defense" problem.

I have received it 3 times and all it means is that I happen to be serving during part of all of the last 3 issues of the medal. I did serve in Vietnam and in Iraq, so I guess those two awards of the NDSM have a little meaning. I was in the reserves during Desert Storm. We were called up, but never went. I still got it. It basically shows that I was in for a long time and has nothing to do with heroics or serving in harms way.

Correct. NDSM is by date alone. It cannot be awarded for operations, etc. Originally it was designed for Korea.

I got it twice

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It was My 1st.outta any of My Chest Salad,and is very Special too Me,I stood Tall when I first rated it outta Boot(P.I)and till this Day it Is something(NDSM) I Am very Proud off.S/F

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Correct. NDSM is by date alone. It cannot be awarded for operations, etc. Originally it was designed for Korea.

I got it twice
    Some of the post on this blog mention the fact that some Marines had to quit wearing awards after they left a certain unit.If I got it right,the whole 3rd Marine Divsion had the the right to wear the P.U.C. for service in Viet Nam,65-67.I know they deserved awards,as they were the first large contingent of military units to go to Vietnam,and they were involved in a lot of actions,Star Light,Jay,Prairie.If my fading memory serves me right General Lew Walt was the Commandant at that time.David M. Shoup was Commandant while I was in the U.S.M.C.I had a friend that fought at Gudalcanal and Tarawa.He was a true hero,and said like all good Marines do,I was only doing my job,and the real heroes were my brothers that gave their all!May the Marine Corps live forever.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Some of the post on this blog mention the fact that some Marines had to quit wearing awards after they left a certain unit.If I got it right,the whole 3rd Marine Divsion had the the right to wear the P.U.C. for service in Viet Nam,65-67.I know they deserved awards,as they were the first large contingent of military units to go to Vietnam,and they were involved in a lot of actions,Star Light,Jay,Prairie.If my fading memory serves me right General Lew Walt was the Commandant at that time.David M. Shoup was Commandant while I was in the U.S.M.C.I had a friend that fought at Gudalcanal and Tarawa.He was a true hero,and said like all good Marines do,I was only doing my job,and the real heroes were my brothers that gave their all!May the Marine Corps live forever.
    Semper Fi
    P.S. I was in the Marine Corps from 1962-1966.Someone tell me I rated the National Defense Medal or if I don't.My grand kids think the only two awards I have the Good conduct Medal and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal are neat,and I was their hero.I wasn't, and we only came under fire a couple of times during the Domincan Republic crisis,and one of them was from friendly fire,as a Domincan Republic P-51 strafed us by mistake!My unit was one of last units to qualify with the M-1 Garand rifle.We shot at the Marine barracks Bremerton range.I had a real good day, shooting expert with both the M-1 and .45 pistol.My skipper Captain J.J. Burke was a stern but fair man.He overlooked a couple of minor incidents,so I received my Good Conduct Medal,and was promoted to L/cpl,before I was transferred to the 1st Battlion 8th Marines,H&S company.

Thanks a lot.Yes it was a hurry up operation,and My Battalion was trucked to Cherry Point,and then flown to the Dominican Republic via C-130's.The first Marines involved received the Navy Unit Medal.We relieved them,as they had been on station for the heavier fighting.

Pocatello, you rate both the NDSM, and, IIRC, EITHER the Expeditionary medal OR the Marine Corps Expeditionary. Those two, at one time, were an 'either/or' type of deal. Now, because this was a 'joint' op, you may only rate the AFEM.

Have to double check the regs on it but you for SURE rate the NDSM.

thanks,I was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal,and the Good Conduct Medal,and I now know I rate the NDFM.The 6th Marines,I'm not sure which unit,but I think it was 3/6,received the Navy Unit Commendation,as they were the 1st into the Dominican Republic along with units from the 82 Airborne,Some Navy vessels also received the Navy Unit Commendation Medal.I'm proud to have served this great country!
    Semper Fi

Thread Information