National Defense Service Medal - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    I think it is the floppy rain hat we had in Nam.

Oohrah Pocatellodave,well said!

S/F

Redclyde!

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Steve my wife and I are on a fixed income.I retired from the Post Office so we have it better than most,and I'm thankful for that.Why don't they tax the people who pay a lot of money to a lawyer so they can beat the system,and pay less taxes?The middle class carry this Country,and I'm proud to be middle class!
    I said the same thing a few weeks back. If the people who use lawyers to get a tax settlement would just pay up what they owe, it would lift a big burden off of everyone's shoulders. It makes me made every time I see those commercials, especially when they say they hablo espanoil. Then if we could fix the welfare system to assist the needed and not the lazy, we wouldn't have a tax problem in this country.

Next subject: NDSM

I have received many decorations over the course of 40+ years..18 Federal and 4 State. I was recently asked which award I held in the highest esteem. I said it was the National Defense Medal. The reason is that it has 2 stars showing I received it 3 times. It is the medal that shows my longevity during some trying times in our history...Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the War on Terror. I served in Vietnam when I was 20 and in Iraq when I was 58. Wish I could could have continued serving. At the same time, if a Marine did not serve during any of the periods that rated the NDSM, so what...the fact that you served meant you were willing to go...I respect you for that just as much as if you had a chest full of ribbons.
    Semper Fi Brothers

William Hardy, Your HARDCORP and I would be proud to shake your hand. Your the type of MARINE I always wanted to be right up to the point that they lost my Re-enlistment Doucument. and I suddenly realized I could no longer provide for my family being shipped out to Okinawa, with out my wife getting my BAQ and Comrats along with my pay totaling $850. a month living on Base. I got out to be a Cop and go back to school so I could go back in as a Warrant Officer on a GunShip. But when I went back The Marine Corp denied me because I had too many dependants. It would have been alright if we had all of kids while I was on active duty.... I have kicked my self in the ass ever since. I take my hat off to you William Hardy, You really make me proud to have been a MARINE.
    SEMPER FI.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Was the National Defense Medal awarded after Boot Camp PI in 1966. Was there any other awards given to all recruits at graduation. My memory fails me after nearly 50 years. I finally took a position as "Sergeant at Arms" at an Amvets post. We are required to wear a cover at the meetings. I've seen some of the other "old salts" covers adorned with pins and I'd like to add some to mine when I get mine next month.

Quote Originally Posted by nfountai View Post
    Was the National Defense Medal awarded after Boot Camp PI in 1966. Was there any other awards given to all recruits at graduation. My memory fails me after nearly 50 years. I finally took a position as "Sergeant at Arms" at an Amvets post. We are required to wear a cover at the meetings. I've seen some of the other "old salts" covers adorned with pins and I'd like to add some to mine when I get mine next month.
    Yes. What you do is look at your DD214 and it will show what you have earned. You can always ask for a records check. You might have earned some ribbons or medals that you did not know about at the time of your discharge. I recommend you go to:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

They will not only send you a copy of your military records, they will also send you all the medals and ribbons you rate and they even take the time to have them engraved with your name on the back of the medals.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm telling Yah Gunny H anymore of those Decorations and We will have to Hold You up with a Crane LOL! Oh speaking of Ribbons Cpl.Billy Collins your out of Uniform Brother You rate the PUC for Operation Meade River the 3rd Bn.26th Marines were Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation.Go Easy Semper Fi

Mine are for being there - only 2 for achievement - none for combat action
    After 42 years, they add up - Some like my VN service medal has 3 stars..how I got 3 is beyond me when a lot of combat Marines only had 1. You have to remember that I got the standard ribbons for Nam and then the standard ones for Iraq. Then, because I was in the National Guard, I got a couple of more for being activated, like the Reserve Achievement Medal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your a Good Man Gunny H! My Cover goes off too Yah Go Easy Semper Fi

Thread Information