MOS 0331 (Machine Gunner) - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    There seems to be a misconception about 31's carrying a saw. Generally they don't. The saw was designed to put a light machine gun in an infantry squad and carried by 11's. The 203 was designed to put a light mortar in the hands of an infantry rifle squad. Doesn't mean that there aren't saw's and 203's in weapons platoons or companys but they were specifically designed to be carried by rifle squads.
    OIF I and II, the MK19 gunners in the CAAT teams had a mount with a SAW in the turret so they had a direct fire weapon if the situation warranted such.

Around the same time, during a MEUSOC workup, our company also tried changing things around within the section:

Gunners: same
    Team leader: M4 with scope and 203 (identify targets more easily, cover deadspace when attached out, in addition to below)
    Ammo man: M-4 (with all the weight he carries)
    Squad leader/section leader: M16 with 203 (marking targets, popping illum, alternate comm signals)

Command didn't like it and didn't have the additional weapons, and optics, to make it happen.

I was 0331
    When I was in we used the M60e3. However we used "Delta" barrels as often as we could because we kept melting the lighter e3 barrels.

Side note:
    (Hehehe, We did a few night fires at CAX 29 Palms and you could see the rounds go through the barrel at night once it got all nice and glowy... eventually those silly little e3 barrels would develop a "sway".)

I never got to shoot the e4.

There are 2 paths you will have ahead of you.
    Wpns Co. or Wpns Plt.
    Wpns Co gets to use the big boys (Browning M2 .50 Cal and Mk 19 40mm grenade launcher) and they get to ride around in vehicles.
    If you, like me get sent to an 0311 Co. and you are in wpns plt. You will use(in my time) the M60E3 and get detached as a gun team to a squad of the 0311 platoons (1st, 2nd and 3rd plts respectively).
    Usually 2 gun teams per squad.
    At least that is the ratio when I was active. That was used to ensure FoF coverage and to enable the tactic we call "talking guns".

From what I understand nowadays the 0331 are using the M240 if they are not in Wpns. Co.(?) I have no idea to be honest and the M240 looks like a nice piece of hardware.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have a question. Do you guys ever get airwingers that lat-move into your MOS? If you do, what usually happens to them, say a corporal lat-moves into your MOS... Exactly what would he be doing, would he be like everyone else that is a fresh join? Or is he crapped on cause he was a P.O.G.... Just some questions i have, if you don't mind putting in your two cents, that would be outstanding.

Credits
    Savings
    This ain't was this thread's about, bro. We've got two or three other threads on this exact same thing. In short, it's all in the individual. If there's bitc h in your heart it will show and they will eat you alive. As long as you go through ITB and do your job upon reporting in you'll be straight.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    is there anyone who is currently 0331 or was, that wouldn't mind me emailing them? can you please get back to me

Quote Originally Posted by Bazan View Post
    I have a question. Do you guys ever get airwingers that lat-move into your MOS? If you do, what usually happens to them, say a corporal lat-moves into your MOS... Exactly what would he be doing, would he be like everyone else that is a fresh join? Or is he crapped on cause he was a P.O.G.... Just some questions i have, if you don't mind putting in your two cents, that would be outstanding.
    We had an Sgt who was an 01 Admin guy move in and take over the 0351's.
    He didn't have the operational expirience that the Lcpls did but he was professional enough to learn what they would teach without having an attitude.

It's all about the attitude.

Lat-moves are required to go back to SOI and reclass for an Infantry MOS.

Thread Information