MOS 0331 (Machine Gunner) - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by PTurchan View Post
    FATAL VISION,
    Is it this: The mission of the Marine Corps Rifle Squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy’s assault by fire and close-combat.

    I'm sure you can figure out why I made those letters bigger if you look at what he asked.


  2. #32

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311 View Post
    Usually a gunner would have a M9 (9mm) as his secondary, but as far as I know they're only getting used by SNCO and Officers now. And that's the case with M4's with a lot of battalions now also. You should never have an A2 in the fleet. You should have an A4 with an ACOG to help you identify possibly IEDS or other threats. So if your a reservist you may have an A2 until you get activated and then you may get issued an A4. Forgive me for my ignorance on the subject with reserves. I haven't been a Reservist so it is hard for me to give you a solid answer that is correct.
    All the Marines I know in the non-deployables and rarely-deploying units have A2s...in the fleet.

    I met a Marine in Oki that had been to Korea twice and didnt even know what an ACOG was.


  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PTurchan View Post
    FATAL VISION,
    Is it this: The mission of the Marine Corps Rifle Squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy’s assault by fire and close-combat.
    ty, That is what I was looking for I remember it from SOI, I long way back ago, I know it's a basic infantry mission statement, my memory is just shot


  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardLawrence View Post
    There is a book called "Guns Up" about a Machine Gun team in Vietnam. They were foot infantry, but it had some good insight into the "craft" if you are interested....
    Thanks!! I have Guns Up tat'd on my arm, gonna have to check this book out, never heard of it. Awesome


  6. #36
    We had an instructor at MCT that was a 0331. Hands down, the craziest person i've ever met. Cool as hell, but could jump off at any minute. He was kicked off the firing line many times while we were there because the Marines were "stupid and couldn't handle his guns".


  7. #37
    Sway,


  8. #38
    Marine Free Member PaidinBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Not so sunny CA...
    Posts
    2,299
    Credits
    5,162
    Savings
    0

    Cool crazy grunt? get outta here.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaMarine View Post
    We had an instructor at MCT that was a 0331. Hands down, the craziest person i've ever met. Cool as hell, but could jump off at any minute. He was kicked off the firing line many times while we were there because the Marines were "stupid and couldn't handle his guns".

    Really not that crazy...in fact a pretty common affliction in these parts..


  9. #39
    ohrah 31s!!! time to get some in the fleet


  10. #40
    You Gotta Hump The Weight Before You Rate The Skate


  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ke0331 View Post
    You Gotta Hump The Weight Before You Rate The Skate



    What kind of weight? I was the gunner for about a year on a 30 cal water cooled heavy machine gun. gunner carried the tri-pod and a 45.1911, tri-pod weighed 54 lbs, ass.gunner carried the gun, others carried water can and ammo cans. that tri-pod was carried opened up and fit right over your field marching pack. talk about top heavy.


  12. #42
    Marine Free Member PaidinBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Not so sunny CA...
    Posts
    2,299
    Credits
    5,162
    Savings
    0

    old breed, new breed

    Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    What kind of weight? I was the gunner for about a year on a 30 cal water cooled heavy machine gun. gunner carried the tri-pod and a 45.1911, tri-pod weighed 54 lbs, ass.gunner carried the gun, others carried water can and ammo cans. that tri-pod was carried opened up and fit right over your field marching pack. talk about top heavy.
    Owned.


    OR



  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by FATAL VISI0N View Post
    Hello everyone, Semper Fi, Former 0331 here, I have a quick question being I have a lil memory problem, what is the mission statement of the 0331, I remember something like, ....seek and destroy by high volume of fire???

    thanks Stay Safe, brothers, "Guns Up!!"
    Well some of us 0331s like to jazz up the old misson statement like that,

    but it goes like this, "To provide fire support coordination, medium mortar,

    antimechanized assault, and heavy machine gun support for the infantry

    battalion and its subordinate elements." But you could say, " To seek and

    destroy by high volume of fire, provide fire support coordination, medium

    mortar, antimechanized assault, and heavy machine gun support for the

    infantry battalion and its subordinate elements."


  14. #44
    Figured I have stayed away from this thread long enough.


    Quote Originally Posted by FATAL VISI0N View Post
    Hello everyone, Semper Fi, Former 0331 here, I have a quick question being I have a lil memory problem, what is the mission statement of the 0331, I remember something like, ....seek and destroy by high volume of fire???

    thanks Stay Safe, brothers, "Guns Up!!"
    Offensive: To provide a heavy volume of accurate long range fire, beyond the capability of small arms.

    I'll have to go look in my machine gun library to find the description of the machine gun role in the defensive position.


  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    What kind of weight? I was the gunner for about a year on a 30 cal water cooled heavy machine gun. gunner carried the tri-pod and a 45.1911, tri-pod weighed 54 lbs, ass.gunner carried the gun, others carried water can and ammo cans. that tri-pod was carried opened up and fit right over your field marching pack. talk about top heavy.
    Good stuff.
    Especially the same tripod is still used with the M2.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts