Update Us On Jacksonville, North Carolina
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Update Us On Jacksonville, North Carolina

It Has Been A Few Years, Er, Since 1962, And Want To Ask: Does Anyone Remember The "playland Lounge Or Bar" On Court Street? What Happen To It And Why Did It Close? Stopped In 2003 And The Entire Area Looked Like Everything Vanished....i Was Stationed At Mcaf New River From Late 61 Thru Early '63.
    If Anyone Answers, Please Let Me Know If A Marine By The Name Of Vincent Iernia Or Sonny Teabo Rings A Bell. Thank You For A Reply....grandle Starling, South Daytona, Florida

Your right, it is gone. Been gone for quite awhile. After I retired, I was a J'ville cop for 17 years. I watched Court St. slowly disappear. Drugs and hookers were bad. City cleaned it out after a few bad shooting/murders. The old "Second Front" out by Gieger is about all gone now too, since they built the by-pass.

S/F
    Finger

Credits
    Savings
    I hadn't been in that area since '98. I had a load that had some stops in J-ville a couple months ago. Came up from Wilmington on 17. Didn't recognize a whole lot. I was suprised with all the changes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    used to be a hoochi coochi show called JAZZLAND in the corner across from the bus station, pretty nice bar, expensive beer, but music was ok, in 1970-1971. Being a redneck I stayed away from there and went to the local poolhalls for beer and pool!

I haven't been there since '93. Is the Tarheel still there? I can not remember exactly where, but it was close to New River entrance.

Tarheel is still there on Blue Creek Rd.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Jacksonville, N.c., Downtown

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS....COULDN'T REMEMBER IF IT WAS "PLAYLAND" OR "JAZZLAND" BUT THE PLACE WAS WON BY A MARINE STATIONED AT MCAF IN A GAME OF CRAPS. HIS NAME WAS SONNY TEABO. IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SO MY MEMORY IS FAINT. ANYBODY REMEMBER?

In the 60's there were Jazzland and Birdland. I hung out at Sam's pool hall. Hardly went down the street much futher. Sam had the coldest beer and best burgers on the street. It was one of the last places to close.

S/F
    Finger

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger
    In the 60's there were Jazzland and Birdland. I hung out at Sam's pool hall. Hardly went down the street much futher. Sam had the coldest beer and best burgers on the street. It was one of the last places to close.

S/F
    Finger
    That sounds like the place, did it have a booze package store a couple of stores down from it? I remember they had a jukebox with country music mostly, and yes the best burgers and reasonably priced.

Anybody remember a place called Dalbies or Doobies out in town was there 74 and 75 and went back down there in 2003 and couldn't find it, the way things changed in town and on base I told the wife it seems like I was never there?

Credits
    Savings
    Don't remember those names. Do remember the Thunderbird. Unless I am way off on remembering were it was, there is now a mexican restaraunt there now.

The Mexican Resturant is close. There is a Waffle House in that lot and If you remember the Phonex Resturant accross the street fro it, it's now a Checkers Hambuger

Credits
    Savings
    Ahh, OK. At least I didn't forget where everything was.

I recall the Jazz Land and Birdland bars when I was there, 1965-68. Was attached to the 10th Marines at that time. I was in Jacksonville 2 years ago and nothing left there on Court St.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Makes me wonder if Hill Street in Oceanside has also slowly croaked. I know Hotel street in Honolulu is just a memory.

Thread Information