Marine earns second-degree black belt
Create Post

Thumbs up Marine earns second-degree black belt

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.-- Combat is an integral part of the Marine Corps, but the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is more than just throwing punches. It’s a culture of fighting, knowing when to use force and how much is needed.

Marines take all of their training seriously, but to one Marine, the culture and mindset of MCMAP have become an important part of his life.

Capt. Robert Thomas, II Marine Expeditionary Force staff secretary, began MCMAP training in April of 2001, progressing to green belt instructor later that year. Thomas’ hard work, constant training and dedication continue to pay off.

Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, commanding general, II MEF, presented Thomas his second-degree black belt here Jan. 7.

The Martial Arts Center of Excellence at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., lists only 30 active second-degree black belt instructors.

The requirements to become a second-degree black belt instructor extend well beyond fighting techniques. According to MACE’s website, www.tecom.usmc.mil, the candidate must be an instructor and serve 18 months time in grade as a first degree black belt, complete 156 sustainment hours in tan through black belt techniques, attend a workshop on combat engagement patterns, write a report on a book from the Marine Corps Professional Reading Program reading list, write an essay on a civilian martial art discipline and complete 40 hours of community service.

In order to attain his black belt, Thomas also attended an intense five-week course at MACE testing both his physical and mental limits.

“I’ve been to 14 formal schools and that was by far the hardest school including the swim instructor school,” Thomas said. “The constant demand for both your mental capacity and your physical ability is amazing. (The demand) is from sun up to sun down moving from one area to the next.”

Thomas said he noticed an immediate change in his method of conflict resolution, thanks to his martial arts training.

“Before my training, it was easier to just grab a hold of someone and start wrestling,” he said. “Now the mindset is there to assess the situation.”

Thomas went on to say his passion for teaching sprang from the changes he saw within himself.

“My favorite part of teaching is watching the students improve in their combat mindset,” he said. “The improvements are in their confidence and in their ability to assess the situation. You see the impact; they’re able to be a stronger war fighter. They are stronger in both mind and body.”

Gunnery Sgt. Steven Whalen, an administration chief with II MEF, who earned his green belt from Thomas, is now working to attain his brown belt and said he feels lucky to have Thomas as his instructor.

“When he first came to our office he was really about the MCMAP,” Whalen said. “We weren’t so sure, but he’s a really awesome instructor. He’s really amazing; he wants to teach us the whole mentality of it. He goes way beyond basic fighting into the warrior culture.”

Thomas said he owes his great success through MCMAP to his family.

“My wife and family have sacrificed a tremendous amount for the program,” Thomas said. “Many of my classes, especially during the summer months, are taught at night. I’ve spent a lot of time away from them, but they understand it’s to make better fighters, better warriors.”

Thomas went on to say he teaches his students the ability to take the moves and apply them in any real-life situation.

“I spent 31 months in Iraq, so I’ve seen the difference it makes when people know their abilities,” Thomas said. “That is my main driving force, making sure I train as many Marines as I can because, unfortunately, I’ve seen what happens when they don’t have confidence.”

Thomas offers MCMAP training for Marines, who want to progress in belt levels and have authorization from their command, everyday from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. behind the 2nd Air/Naval, Gunfire Liason Company headquarters building.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5362lo.jpg‎
Views:	467
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	5204  

Thread Information