Things you still do from boot camp - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Whats the crap about never being late? The posts suprised me. I can't be late for Anything. It got so bad, I tried to be late for work once, but failed. Why, or how is this a Marine Corps thing? I had no idea.

I have noticed that when setting up a family trip, I plan for EVERY possibility. Camping, fishing, picnic,shooting. I've left nothing out. Is that a Corps thing too? This thread is scaring me.
    It must be. I never worried much about being on time ( but usually not late) before the Corps. Growing up in the scouts and Royal Rangers I always planned, but not to the extent I do now. I tend to stock pile stuff. The wife sais it's called being a pack rat. You never know when you'll need it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I have noticed that when setting up a family trip, I plan for EVERY possibility. Camping, fishing, picnic,shooting. I've left nothing out.
    Sparkie when I take my RV somewhere even for a couple days.... I always have a SMEAC and a checklist. Be prepared is not just a Boy Scout thing.Same with any function.. or trip.Sounds like your right in line to me!

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    Brian, you've been a Marine for about an hour, you boot! This thread isn't for you, you have to at least be away from boot camp for more then an hour or two in order to respond here! Semper Fi and welcome to the club, Marine. Now go give some poolees a pep talk,,,
    That was funny,

i tuck my shirt in,pull the shirt to the side so it is tight in the back-dont know what that is called,but you all know what i mean.i still workout like im going to war again.i eat so fast i sometimes forget what i just ate.everyone knows i was a Marine and i dont let anyone forget it,especially my football boys(im a HS substitute and work with the football team)

no hands in pockts, blouse my shirts, still shine some boots with polish that I set on fire first.

With the exception of PVT Johansen most of this stuff are not things you still do from boot camp. They are things you still do from the Fleet.
    Just face it, you all have CMS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have noticed that, in the past few years, I can spot a Marine, 7 times out of 10, a mile away! No matter how old he is! The bloused Shirt, the shined shoes, the haircut, the way he carries himself in general. His way of speaking always gives him away. But I have trouble with those damned WMs. They blend right in, until you get to know them, drinking/talking with them! LMAO!

Yep we all still do pretty much the same things, I even use a lot of my DIs statements when I am talking to kids that I know! You never forget that time in your life!

That's my 2 cents!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I still do many of the same things everyone else does. Step off with the left foot, stand and salute for colors, stand at attention for the Marine Hymn, put my trouser belt in from the left first, shoe/boot laces left over right, always have a pen and notebook available (that's probably more of an NCO and police officer habit), neatly pressed dress clothing and Scout uniforms (although I've come to accept wearing blue jeans and t-shirts straight from the dryer). Shined leather gear.

I wear a ball cap almost always in casual attire (USMC or Vietnam vet type) and uncover as soon as I walk indoors. But, I have also come to terms that it is not against the law to wear my cover indoors sometimes.

Keeping my right hand empty for saluting or gun drawing (part Marine, part police). AND I get angry when someone puts fingerprints on my shoe shine or other shiny stuff.

I don't run up ladderways anymore as the arthritis really protests at that sh*t. I still eat way too fast for polite civilian company.

Then there is the one habit that absolutely drove my ex-wife nuts was ALWAYS being early for appointments and being an absolute azzhole when I was forced to be late. She had the Cuban/Caribbean attitude towards time (a half-hour to an hour late is OK). What really p*sses her off is I trained my three kids to view being late the same way I do. So, at one point she had four very cranky people to deal with when she was forcing us to be late.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Utilize my time, ALWAYS early, no Irish penants, eat fast and get out.

I still say "make a hole", "Gang Way", "Squared Away", and "sh*tbird". Take off my cover when indoors, Never Ever late for anything, and don't make excuses when I screw up. Oh and I still say OooRah on almost a daily basis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Things I DON'T do.,,,,,

Starch my skivvies
    Call my wife a $hitbird.
    Sleep at attention.
    Sidestep through the kitchen,
    Spitshine my tennies.
    Watch for blue car stickers.
    Fieldstrip my butts.
    Maintain'A$$hole to belly button' in the DMV line
    Say Goodnite to Chesty,,, she may be asleep.
    Bunk with a Bunch of Bald guys.
    Keep my 3 S'es in order.
    Save water by showering with 60 friends.

Just to name a few,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Things I DON'T do.,,,,,

Starch my skivvies
    Call my wife a $hitbird.
    Sleep at attention.
    Sidestep through the kitchen,
    Spitshine my tennies.
    Watch for blue car stickers.
    Fieldstrip my butts.
    Maintain'A$$hole to belly button' in the DMV line
    Say Goodnite to Chesty,,, she may be asleep.
    Bunk with a Bunch of Bald guys.
    Keep my 3 S'es in order.
    Save water by showering with 60 friends.

Just to name a few,,,,,
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerbob57103
    Oh and I still say OooRah on almost a daily basis.
    Yup, extreme case of CMS.

ROFLMFAO!!!! Yeah now that ya mention it I still take 3 min showers, and when I stay in motels I wear flip flops in the motel room and when I go to the pool.

left hand left knee right hand right knee ready sit. begin.

Yep...I still do all of it!!! That just goes to prove how DEEP the intial training goes!! I can still wake up at the butt-crack of dawn and function with high efficiency and sh!t, shower and shave in less then 5 minutes when I need to!!!

I carpool with a friend of mine to work for the past 10 years and last month it was his turn to drive and my alarm didn't go off when he was knocking on the door!! I had a quick boot camp flash back and was sitting in the truck 7 minutes later eating a breakfast bar!! He couldn't believe it!! Truth be told...neither could I!!!

Thread Information