Things you still do from boot camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Things you still do from boot camp

As I was sitting in class yesterday, I was taking notes, and I starting to cross my feet and then instinctively quickly uncrossed them and put my feet back at a 45 degree angle. I realized that this instinct is something I learned in bootcamp. ("Sit down with with your feet flat on the deck at a 45 degree angle and don't let your fat back touch the chair") I now feel uncomfortable sitting with my feet crossed, and always have my feet flat on the floor, usually at a 45 degree angle. I was wondering if anyone else has anything that got drilled into their head at bootcamp that they still do instinctively, or think twice before doing.
    I know that we talked about the hands in the pockets and leaning against things (which are two more things I can never do). Does anyone else have anything that they still do?

Credits
    Savings

Yep, still step off with the left foot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Habits

While eating chow, I still turn my unused left hand into a fist and set it squarely on my left knee while I shovel the chow into my gullet with the fork in my right. And I clean my plate with a small dinner roll (if available.)

Sgt gw

I dont wipe the sweat off my face with my hand. I rather not talk about what happened last time.

Stand at "Attention" for the flag and National Anthem. Never be late for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by crate78
    Stand at "Attention" for the flag and National Anthem. Never be late for anything.
    To add to that, I always remove my cover and stand at Attention, drive the wife & kids crazy by always trying to be early for everything

I still catch myself running up stairs.

I still eat like the world's about to end and it's my last meal.

Credits
    Savings
    Still run up and down stairs, Always, Always early. Wife and kids have learned it's more pleasent if we are early. Can't stand being late. Still step off with left foot.

Never late for any appointment hurry up and wait and still lace up boots or shoes right over left. Semper FI.

I called a quick meeting in my office last week, the words "Form a horseshoe" just popped out of my mouth. I wonder where I heard that before...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    I still eat like the world's about to end and it's my last meal.
    I've been out since '93 and still find myself doing this sometimes.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

I definitely hate being late, i still put on my belt starting from the left and still keep my left hand on my left thigh when i eat.

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    I'm fresh out of bootcamp so I'm sure some of these things will eventually wear off.......but I can't walk and eat, walk and drink, walk and talk on a cell phone, put my hands in my pockets, or scratch my face, without thinking that one of my drill instructors is gonna run out of nowhere and kill me.
    Hopefully those habits never wear off, I was taught that Marines don't do those things(along with many other things) and I love being a Marine. When I'm out somewhere and I see civilians do things like that it drives me crazy....I feel nasty when they do it but it makes me appreciate the discipline my drill instructors instilled in me.

You need to ask them to switch you from poolee to Marine, you earned it!

Brian, you've been a Marine for about an hour, you boot! This thread isn't for you, you have to at least be away from boot camp for more then an hour or two in order to respond here! Semper Fi and welcome to the club, Marine. Now go give some poolees a pep talk,,,

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    Haha, I'll go do that Sergeant. I love telling poolees how nasty they are (even though I was a poolee less than 4 months ago).

Thread Information