Things you still do from boot camp - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    DO NOT wear a cover indoors
    I've noticed variations of this in working cowboys/buckaroos/punchers etc that use to puzzle me but its pretty clear now.

When a hand enters the cookhouse or cooktent hats come off. If theres no pegs they lay heaped in the corner. Covers tend to stay on when feeding at cafes like Denny's and they never or rarely come off in a beer joint, or a gymnasium dance unless a waddie briefly removes it while doing a ducking swing dance maneuver. They come off in a fist fight. Hats are removed when anthems are played, funerals and before entering a church. Visiting a doctor or lawyer or anybody's office and the hats usually come off but some may take their time uncovering, other indoor workplaces and hats tend to stay on. Working cowhands remove their lid before entering somebodys home even if its a pauper living in a rundown single wide. If they dont respect a person the hat might go back on before they leave their digs. Journeymen cowhands no the right hat etiquette for any situation with few murky areas. Feedlot cowboys and outiftters are usually not as detailed about these traditions and it hardly pertains at all with rodeo cowboys and the saturday night dude's because they are not expected to know it.

--->Dave

Still check my military alignment....my belt with my shirt with my trousers....stand at attention during the national anthem. Just caught myself last night while out to dinner with the wife sitting with heels touching and at a 45...

As for the whole cover wearing thing...

Hat etiquette has greatly decined ever since men quit wearing hats as common custom in the 60s.

As we all know Marines only wear headgear indoor when under arms unless they are entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted.

Here is some basic hat etiquette for civilians;

Hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to "say" to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do.

Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

Hats are removed for the National Anthem, passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.
    (This goes for vets too. It you are not in uniform, you're supposed to remove your headgear with your right hand and hold it at the left shoulder with your right hand covering your heart, you do not salute or stand at attention. Section 7. Us Flag Code.)

It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them.

A woman may leave her hat on indoors or during the playing of The National Anthem, unless it is considered unisex like a baseball cap. When wearing such a unisex cap, a woman should follow the same guidelines as for men.
    -- Andy Gilchrist

Slinger and RLeon,
    I never knew hats (covers) were so complicated. I always take it off inside, just in case.

Also...for Marines...As we all know Marines only wear headgear indoor when under arms unless they are entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted.........

Two other places immediately come to mind, when there is no cover....one being a military courtroom (learned that the hard way, thanks Colonel) and the flightline...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardLawrence
    Slinger and RLeon,
    I never knew hats (covers) were so complicated
    He lives under a hat and its the only thing between him and the lord out there from dark till dark. Dont touch waddies hat or comment on it even if it looks and smells like a fouled chamber pot. If it falls off near your feet and he's horseback glance to see what he's gonna do first, if it looks like he's gonna dismount dont pick it up. Theres unwritten volumes of etiquette on most every entity in his life. It is complex and i've forgotten alot but heres a few more nuggets; dont ride another hands horse, beat it, or even cuss the animal. He'll fight for that. dont ride out in front of another man. dont cut in front of his "circle" wether he is gathering animals or sitting loosely smokin and jokin with others, thats his perimeter same same breaking ranks and never walk or stand between the cook and his fire, go around. Where space is abundant and people often work alone or in small crews there are more rules the closer you get to another human. It's kinda like grunt'n where you keep your distance when your supposed to.

--->Dave

Quote Originally Posted by E L Marion Jr
    take my shaving gear to the head.
    Just remembered i purchased a heavyduty yellow nylon mesh laundry bag on the Coral Sea in 80' and once i no longer needed it for nasty clothes it became a shower kit. The giant safety pin is gone but i've been using this bag for about 25 years

I dont leave anything in the bathroom but steam and stink hehehe. come to think of it neither does pops who is a former Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    My compliments to the thread starter, a Marine who just happens to be a Female, and to the Duffer and Marine84, but I would really like to hear more of their thoughts. It seems there would be more of a difference between the boys and girls.
    To be honest, on a day to day basis we really learned all of the same ettiquette as the males. All of the things you guys have stated are things that I learned. I think they really actually try to emphasize these days that we are Marines, and that we're not special because we're women. So, they teach us all the same things. Afterall, a lot of the things we've mentioned have to do with training yourself for drill movements, respect, and looking good in uniform- That's required of all Marines!
    But I'm sure back in the day when they still had tea parties and make up classes (I read about that lol) for females, they probably learned a lot of different ettiquette.

I'm sure some of the values they taught us about not becoming "that female" who hooks up with everyone on the base might be unique to us women, but other than that all the physical ettiquette is the same.

I do remember that certain things were physically hard for me to get used to, because we were taught to be very aggressive and short spoken. So that was probably easier for guys to adapt to since they're taught that at birth. So, that took some getting used to. A lot of girls had to train themselves to not cross their legs or to not give long explanations for everything. We're just not taught that at birth, but we figured it out really quick.

Things we remember from boot camp.

When I get up in the mornings the bed is made even before a head call!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's been 40 years and I still have a problem with referring to a Drill Instuctor as anything else (like D.I.) I still don't do it unless I glance over my shoulder real quick!

I have a habit of looking over my family before we go out to make sure that there are no IPs, dirty spots ect. Always 15 minutes early for anything because if you are on time you are late. If I am walking with someone I am in step with them. Always bring my food to mouth and not my mouth to my food. When waiting for appointments at the VA or job interviews I always sit at attention and if necassary give my seat up to an elder vet.

I've been out since '94. I wear a uniform for the city I work for, and they hang in my closet as if I were still in.

[quote=MoparScott]I called a quick meeting in my office last week, the words "Form a horseshoe" just popped out of my mouth. I wonder where I heard that before...hmmm

LOL, I find myself doing some of the same things at meetings. Eyeballs! SitRep! Freaking this Freaking That!

I absolutely hate being late! Things are much better for everyone involved if we just show up early and wait. Hurry Up and Wait..Say it! I also need my house squared away and spend quit a bit of time making sure it stays that way. Sometimes a field day is needed to get it up to par. I also always wear a belt with jeans or trousers, eyeball my gig line and always check for Irish Pennants.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I STILL BLOUSE MY HUNTING BOOTS

Things you still do from boot camp.

Things I still do from boot camp.
    1.Salute the flag.
    2.My family serves up their food before me.
    (My crew eats first,Fleet Marine thing)
    3.Short hair.
    4.No fluff dries.
    5.Polished shoes.
    6.Belt goes in the loops from the left-always.
    7.Up early.
    It goes on.....
    Some things won't change.
    S/F
    Tim.

Thread Information