Help. New Soc card and Birth Certificate
Create Post
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Help. New Soc card and Birth Certificate

    Due to some bad housekeeping, my social securty card and birth certificate have gone missing. How hard is it to obtain a new one. I dont leave till July. Please help.

  2. #2
    Call the hospital where you were born at to get a new one. There is a number to get a re issue of a social security card. Try to get your recruiter to call and it may expedite the process.

  3. #3
    I don't think it would be too hard. I'd try contacting the hospital for a duplicate of your birth certificate........or do they keep those records at the city government offices?? i don't remember.

    I do know that getting a social security card is easy! I'm not sure what documents (i.e. if you need your birth certificate for proof of ID) you need to have with you to get a replacement card. It doesn't take too long to fill out the needed paperwork. I think I had to wait in line longer than it took to fill out everything. I think they say it takes 6-8 weeks to get the new card in the mail....I think mine took about 4 weeks.

    Needless to say, the longest part will be waiting for the new card in the mail. Since you're not leaving for awhile, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

  4. #4
    Marine Free Member davblay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Sparta, Tn
    It may differ from state to state, but in Tennessee to get a certified copy of your Birth certificate you must contact the Office of Vital Statistics, usually in the State Capital City. You might want to call them and see if there is a charge, You may be able to get a application from the local health department as well, then mail it in, or carry it into the office with your supporting documents.

    The Social Security Card is easy to get, just go to your local SS Office and have supporting documents with you (drivers lic, etc,) and they might be able to issue you a new one on the spot if you have all you need with you! If not they will help you with what you need and so forth. You might even get one on line, check Socialsecurity dot gov, I think is the site

    I hope this helps, but I would get started on it now as it may take a few weeks if you don't have supporting documents for them!

    Good luck and I hope I told you correct!


  5. #5
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My bride was born in this county and I went to the courthouse and paid a few dollars to have a replacement BC issued. Two of my daughters were born out of NC so to get a BC I had to go to/write the state capital and pay more at the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

    SS cards are issued fairly quickly. Call 1-800-772-1213 and find out where a SS office is located in your area. Sometimes they are in the county seat one day a week at a satellite office at a senior center or somewhere. Get an application and fill it out send in two original forms of ID that are listed on the application and wait approximately a month.You will get you originals back/or you can keep the originals if a clerk at an office verifies it an sends off the application for processing.

    If you act now you should have both back way before July.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjg0307
    Due to some bad housekeeping, my social securty card and birth certificate have gone missing. How hard is it to obtain a new one. I dont leave till July. Please help.
    Hospital won't be helpful. Look up your county website or whatever entity that controls the public record. This will most likely be the same place that you get marriage licenses, too. What you're looking for is a certified copy of your birth certificate.

    You should be able to walk up and get a copy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts