Young Marines program looking for volunteer leaders
Published Mon, Jan 21, 2008 12:00 AM
By DAN HILLIARD dhilliard@beaufortgazette.com
843-986-5531

The Marine Corps is looking for a few good men and women -- military or

otherwise -- to shepherd the lil' leathernecks in its Young Marines program.

About half of the nine Parris Island Young Marines chapter volunteers are expected to leave within a month for tours of Okinawa or Iraq, and one volunteer plans to leave soon for drill instructor school, according to commanding officer Aulton Kohn.

Kohn retired from the Marine Corps as a gunnery sergeant in 2001, and he has been commanding officer of the chapter since its creation in 2004.

The national Young Marines program began in 1958 as a recruitment tool and an avenue for teaching children core, er, Corps values, Kohn said.

"The program is set up to teach them honor, courage, discipline and respect, just like the Marine Corps," he said.

About 92 children are registered with the Parris Island chapter, Kohn said.

They meet weekly at Building 115 on Panama Street at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island for tutoring and physical fitness sessions.

They also attend a 13-week scaled-down boot camp and even a mini Marine ball for the Young Marines' birthday Oct. 17.

The last boot camp, which marks the Young Marines' acceptance into the program, wrapped up in December.

Volunteers don't have to be active or retired Marines, Kohn said. They just need to demonstrate good character and abstain from drinking or smoking.

It hasn't been hard to find Marines at the recruit depot willing to chaperone field trips and physical fitness sessions, but Kohn is looking for volunteers who will be able to put in the time necessary to get to know the chapter's Young Marines.

"The personnel we really need is the ones who will stick around with us," Kohn said.

Beaufort resident Shamra Hernandez's daughter, Summer Carter, 11, graduated from the program's boot camp in December, she said. She's now a Young Marines private

first-class.

The upcoming dearth of volunteers will cut down on the Young Marines' opportunities, Hernandez said.

"They can't even hold another training class for this year because they can't get enough volunteers," she said. "And it's such a great program. I've seen these 13- and 14-year-old kids who didn't think they could do much of anything break down crying when they complete their training."

Cody Ward, 8, finished boot camp Dec. 1, according to his mother, Erica Ward of Beaufort.

"He's been obsessed with the Marine Corps since he was 2 years old," she said. Cody's father, Michael Ward, retired from the Marine Corps as a sergeant in June. "He's just more motivated. It really teaches children respect, discipline and community

service."

Cody said his favorite part of the program so far has been the field trips to Columbia and Washington, D.C.

"You learn a bunch of stuff about the Marine Corps, and you get to go all over the place ..." he said. "It's really fun."

Eventually, Cody said he wants to plant his boots on the yellow footprints at Parris Island, becoming a third-generation Marine.

"I have my daddy and my uncle and my granddaddy in the Marines, and I just want to be a Marine like them."
n The Parris Island chapter of the Young Marines is looking for volunteers. •Applicants do not need military experience, but they must demonstrate good character. •About 92 children ages 8 to 18 are registered with the Parris Island chapter.•For more information, contact the Young Marines office at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island at 843-228-2951.

Ellie