Becoming a Pilot.
Create Post

Becoming a Pilot.

What's life like being a pilot?

Credits
    Savings
    Not a pilot in the Marines, but I flew many an hour over the Beautiful Skies of Southeast Asia.

Once in the 1st CivDiv, I did the deed and got my PPL.

NOW, once, Slu fly girl, gets a hold of this post, she'll wear your ear out about how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    NOW, once, Slu fly girl, gets a hold of this post, she'll wear your ear out about how good it is.
    True Story! I will talk your ear off because I am so passionate about it! Unfortunately I have not had the honor of flying for the military....YET! (I'm currently in the process of applying for a commission. If selected, I'll head to officer training and then to flight school.)

I've done all my flying in the CivDiv, more specifically at a flight school. I was lucky enough to earn a degree and fly at the same time. Let me tell you, the classroom is so much better when it's 5,000 ft in the air.....winds calm, visibility severe clear....or at night overlooking the city!

My training was rather structured. I flew roughly three times a week. My lesson included a pre-flight brief, the flight, a debrief and ground knowledge. My program was demanding at times, although not as demanding as the military, and worth every minute of it!

The majority of my classmates ended up flying for the military as flying is quite expensive. I'm holding true to my call sign (Turtle) and taking my sweet time to get there.....but I will! Those that I've talked to recently LOVE it, although the days are LONG, the standards are more strict and there is less room for error. It is much more challenging than civilian flying, but they find that they aren't struggling as much as some of their classmates because they had prior flight experience. Most of them have finished initial flight training and are now in advanced training. If I recall correctly, the majority of them have gotten what they wanted (mainly fighters....and one helo). Once they pin their wings, they'll head to their first duty station....the one who wanted (and got) helos will be headed to Hawaii with her husband, who, coincidentally, also flies helos.

Okay, so, as BigAl said, I'm sure that is WAY more than what you wanted (or cared) to hear. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Oh and don't forget, the happiest place on earth is not Disneyland..... It's the airport! (I told you I love to fly!)

Thread Information