China and other pics from Gunny Welsh.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

China and other pics from Gunny Welsh.

Hi all, Gunny Welsh sent me these pics, (actually a while back), and I am just now getting around to posting them....(sorry Gunny). They are from when he was in China and the Japanese Surrender, etc. Great pics...there are lots of them.

The files are too large to post individually so I am making an album on Photobucket with a link. I am adding the Gunny's comments as I can...sorry for the delay.

The pic above: Sun Tien Dschung and Chinese Officers in front of Flag Decorated main hall.

Here is the link to Gunny's photo album....enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jetdoc30...mChinaAndJapan

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Great historic pictures, taken by one of our own!

Credits
    Savings
    Job well done!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding flicks gunny. I can't remember ever seeing any photos of the surrender.

Jim

Trying to see if Gunny can fwd me some additonal pics, I will add them to the album.

Several things: 1) No Japan. The surrender was called The Double Tenth for North China in Peking in 1945. I was still in Okinawa. We arrived in China in late Sept/ early Oct. in time to ride shotgun on the Japanese bring returned to Japan. In fact they were loaded on the LSTs we rode from Okinawa. I got the pictures from a Camera store where I purchased a Zeise Ikon(sp) 120 Camera. Which I used to take some of the other pictures. We did get several trips (by rail) to see the Great Wall of China. I have some other pictures from liberty runs. Ricashaws(sp) transportation and young Marines , still sober.
    I have a total of about sixty-four, mostly Chinese bldg. I put captions on the photo. But if you want I can put up what I have.
    And Jetdoc, THANK YOU for all you have done. This is all new to me. I worked with computers , mainframes IBM, for about 27 years before retiring.
    But no site roaming. But I am getting there since I can't get out and do my volunteer work anymore.
    Thanks to all of you.
    SEMPER FI!!!!
    Lee

Oops, my bad about Japan.

Gunny the ones on Picasa have captions, or at least the ones you put captions on. I'm sure we all would love to see more pics, they are very interesting.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Hey, Gunny may I ask about the story of "Caribou" Johnson?

Semper Fi

"Caribou" Johnson was an old salt from the "CHINA" Marines. He was a character! My encounter with Caribou was here in Edenton at the NCO Club. He was alway telling Sea stories of his time in China. He told this one about the Marine Corps Rifle Matches in Shanghai. He and a Marine Gunner were team-mates for the match and were pushing for a win. They needed a bull for the win and the Gunner was on the line. He lined up the shot and squeezed off the shot and missed the ring by a 'RCH'. Everyone was on his case and the Gunner explained what happened. See the mule standing over in the field? Well, just as I squeezed the shot off, that damn mule Farted and changed the windage. I missed by that much.
    I got married while at Edenton, and after we returned I took my wife to the NCO Club and introduced Norma. The old salt start on his story and everyone started to drift away, knowing what was coming, leaving Norma alone with Caribou and his story. We have been married 54 years and she still remembers.
    Another incident, we worked a schedule one summer, Tropical Hours, go to work at 2300 and get off at 0900.The you could participate in some scheduled activity. Caribou was in charge of NCOIC of Base Security. He was in his Office at 0100 and looked out the window and saw a light moving back
    and forth on the lawn.H e had it checked out and found that a Pvt(we had a lot oe them in those days) was mowing the lawn. It was too much for the old Salt. He closed up shop and headed for the NCO Club which was closed. He was really shook-up , muttering to himself about the old Corps.That was all he could talk about for a long time. He retired shortly after that, too much for him to take.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Good to hear that even in your Service there were Old Salts preaching about the Old Corps!

There were three cases: those that were truly "old salts"
    Those that thought they were.
    and those who wished they were and pretended.
    and you quickly learned to identify each for what they were

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I would love to hear more about Caribou Johnson. He was my Great Uncle and like a grand father to me. He married my grandfather's sister (Geri) after his retirement. I grew up listening to his stories every summer when he came up to Nova Scotia from Boston. My aunt and I were there to lay him to rest in 1992 in Revere, Mass.

Brian.

Thread Information