Ranks of DI's - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranks of DI's

All my DIs were Sgt. E-5. 1964. Most of the movie part in Vietnam was filmed in England in a old oil refinery. I'm not sure about boot camp.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    In 1983 another platoon in our Training Series had a Cpl Drill Instructor. He was very proud to be the youngest Drill Instructor on the Island.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    All my DIs were Sgt. E-5. 1964. Most of the movie part in Vietnam was filmed in England in a old oil refinery. I'm not sure about boot camp.
    The boot camp scenes were shot at a British military base (Army, I think).

Just for comparison purposes: In WWII (1943), my father's drill instructors at MCRD SD were a corporal and a PFC, both combat vets. He said the PFC was as big and nasty as they came, the corporal only a little less so. Dad also said his senior DI was killed in action on Iwo Jima.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay

Graphical representation of R. Lee Ermey's USMC awards

This is his ribbons and medals he earned as a Marine!
    You're missing the Purple Heart, Dave.

36 You are right on the boot. Also that Cpl. DI at that time was E-3. They were bada$$ DIs at that time.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    FYI about Gunny Ermey!
    -----------------------

Born in Emporia, Kansas, Ermey enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1961, after being arrested several times as a teenager. A court judge gave him the choice of the military or jail. He later joked that the Marine Corps "put a screeching halt to my unconventional manner." He spent two years as a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in San Diego, California, from 1965 to 1967. In 1968, Ermey arrived in Vietnam where he served for 14 months with the Marine Wing Support Group 17. He then served two tours of duty in Okinawa, Japan, during which he rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant and was medically discharged in 1972 for several injuries incurred during his tours. He did not receive a Purple Heart due to his injuries being noncombat in origin. Ermey has admitted that he still has nightmares about his combat experiences. Ermey was later honorarily bestowed the rank of Gunnery Sergeant by the Marine Corps.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Sgt, he didnt get the Purple Heart for the same reason I didn't get it!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    The boot camp scenes were shot at a British military base (Army, I think).

Just for comparison purposes: In WWII (1943), my father's drill instructors at MCRD SD were a corporal and a PFC, both combat vets. He said the PFC was as big and nasty as they came, the corporal only a little less so. Dad also said his senior DI was killed in action on Iwo Jima.
    The film was photographed in England, in Cambridgeshire and Beckton, in Newham, East London. A British territorial army base, Bassingbourn Barracks, doubled as the Parris Island Marine boot camp.[5] The disused Beckton Gasworks portrayed the ruined city of Huế. Kubrick worked from still photographs of Huế taken in 1968 and found an area owned by British Gas that closely resembled it and was scheduled to be demolished.[8] To achieve this look, Kubrick had buildings blown up and the film's art director used a wrecking ball to knock specific holes in certain buildings over the course of two months.[8] Originally, Kubrick had a plastic replica jungle flown in from California but once he looked at it was reported to have said, "I don't like it. Get rid of it."[9] The open country is Cliffe marshes, also on the Thames, with 200 imported Spanish palm trees[4] and 100,000 plastic tropical plants from Hong Kong.[8]
    ------------------------

You are correct My brother!

Sgt, he didnt get the Purple Heart for the same reason I didn't get it!
    I stand erected.

Dan629, our senior DI was a Sgt. but when we went into third phase he picked up SSGT. but I had read before you can go to DI school being a Cpl but you have to be a Sgt before you train the recruits our series also had a Gunny which I will never forget he looked at us one day and just screamed, Can't Means Won't and Won't Means Jail, Plt 1064,1974.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477
    Dan629, our senior DI was a Sgt. but when we went into third phase he picked up SSGT. but I had read before you can go to DI school being a Cpl but you have to be a Sgt before you train the recruits our series also had a Gunny which I will never forget he looked at us one day and just screamed, Can't Means Won't and Won't Means Jail, Plt 1064,1974.

You are correct SGT:
    --------------------------
    In the U.S. Marine Corps, candidates for Drill Instructor (DI) are without exception volunteers. The tour of duty is three years and is widely regarded as one of the most intense and demanding duties in the U.S. Armed Forces. Candidates report to either Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in California, or to Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island in South Carolina, where they are assigned to Drill Instructor School. Service as a Drill Instructor is considered a special duty in the Marine Corps, which is factored into consideration of a Marine's eligibility for promotion. A Marine assigned to DI School must be of at least Sergeant (E-5) rank or Corporal (E-4) on track to promotion to Sergeant by completion of the school.

Thank You, CPL, Semper FI Brother.

My drill instructors were Sgt Duncan, SSgt Morse and GySgt Hogwood. Other drill instructors in our series were Cpl's. From what I've seen todays instructors seem to be Sgt's and SSgt's with the occasional Gunny but I believe Cpl's are still acceptable....

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I applied to DI School as a 20-year-old corporal in 77. My application was accepted - I received a waiver for my age - but prior to the start of the school (in Jun 78), I picked up sergeant (in Jan) and turned 21 (in May). We did, however, graduate a corporal in our class who was 20. (Side note: Our CDI - Chief Drill Instructor - at the school back then was GySgt Harold Overstreet who went on to become Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.)

Not too long ago, I was on either the PI or SD Recruit Depot web-site and found a Marine Corps Order or a letter (don't remember which) that listed the requirements for DI School, including rank and age. I'm pretty sure that now, a candidate must be at least a sergeant and older than like 24 or 25. I don't remember if there was mention of an age waiver like I received. I think that age is at least important as rank. I regularly had a few recruits in each platoon who were older than me. In my first platoon, for example, we had a 25-year old ex-cop from Detroit. Plus, I think being 21 years old is too young to be tasked with the responsibilities of being a Marine DI.

The minimum tour back then was a year, by the way. And the maximum was two years although you could request a one-year extension.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My drill instructors were 3 sergeants and a corporal. The corporal was relieved for administering a little too much corporal punishment. If you pay attention to the scene in "Full Metal Jacket" where he gets his camera stolen you will recognize downtown Olongapo city square as the location.

LOL..another veteran of the 'Po.

oohrah, Sgt Q.

Thread Information