Getting in shape- how to pace myself?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting in shape- how to pace myself?

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be leaving for Parris Island on Jan 28th and I started working out this week to prepare myself for recruit training.

I've worked myself incredibly hard in those 2 days, running the 1.5 mile, doing pullups, crunches, pushups, etc... along with basic stratches. Yesterday I also went to the gym to specifically work out triceps and chest.

Today I am beat. My triceps hurt to the point where I'm barely capable of wiping my own ass, my biceps burn moderately, my thighs and calves are aching, and my stomache.... my abs hurt to the point where I have to walk carefully and I am positive that I can't do a single crunch.

One of the guys that I was working out with told me that when I'm burnin' and hurtin' is the best time to keep working out.

I'm well aware that I'm going to be pushing myself to extremes at boot, and that only by pushing myself beyond my limits I can get better, but when do I stop and take a break?

Should I be pushing even harder now? or is it ok to take a day off? any advice would be very helpful.

(P.S. I'm not overweight or anything, just out of shape. I'm 5'11'' 160lbs)

Why did you wait until now to start preparing yourself?

You haven't worked yourself hard at all.

If you had then you would have been running at least 3 miles to prepare yourself for the 2 PFT's (official PFT's) you'll be taking in boot camp rather then the 1 IST you take in recieving...

As far as the pain goes... I'd do some more cardio on your "off" days.

Or you could just keep being a lazy thing, sloth the rest of your last little bit of your civilian life away before boot and commit the phrase "PCP is for me!" to memory.

I just became a poolee in the end of december, and I had a trip planned over the holidays, and spent 8 days.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll do more walking and jogging while I give my other muscles a day's rest.

Does taking a trip prevent you from working out? There are PLENTY of ways to work your body out without lifting a wieght or mounting a pull-up bar.

thats something you will learn in the marines. always train for the worst and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 305poolee
    Hello everyone!

I'm going to be leaving for Parris Island on Jan 28th and I started working out this week to prepare myself for recruit training.

I've worked myself incredibly hard in those 2 days, running the 1.5 mile, doing pullups, crunches, pushups, etc... along with basic stratches. Yesterday I also went to the gym to specifically work out triceps and chest.

Today I am beat. My triceps hurt to the point where I'm barely capable of wiping my own ass, my biceps burn moderately, my thighs and calves are aching, and my stomache.... my abs hurt to the point where I have to walk carefully and I am positive that I can't do a single crunch.

One of the guys that I was working out with told me that when I'm burnin' and hurtin' is the best time to keep working out.

I'm well aware that I'm going to be pushing myself to extremes at boot, and that only by pushing myself beyond my limits I can get better, but when do I stop and take a break?

Should I be pushing even harder now? or is it ok to take a day off? any advice would be very helpful.

I'm speechless

Hello everyone!

If I were you, I would just work myself moderately, instead of killing myself. You started too late to actually get in top form before your ship date. Pushing yourself too far beyond your ability too fast might actually cause injury. Better to just follow a sensible plan in the few days you have left, so you will be as ready as you can be, but not injured or aching when you get off the bus.

If I were you, I would focus most of my energy on running, and instead of worrying about speed, I would work on distance. Running builds up your core muscles... legs, back, gut, and arms, and does it without causing much pain.

It also improves your wind, and VO2 max... how well your body can process oxygen and get rid of CO2.

Without these basic things squared away, overexerting your arms, shoulders and gut muscles is more likely to cause injury, because the core muscles are not well enough developed to support the exertion.

When you are in boot camp, your DI's and instructors will work you properly, so there is less chance of injury than if you just go at it like a maniac, without a decent plan.

I work out every day (except Sunday), and really push myself, but I'm really careful where injury avoidance is concerned, because I don't like having to take days or weeks off because I was dumb enough to jam myself up, and then have to play catch-up, to get back to where I was, before I messed up.

Hello everyone!
    Yes hello

I'm going to be leaving for Parris Island on Jan 28th and I started working out this week...
    Dont stop, keep moving. Advil, ice whatever just stay active.

I've worked myself incredibly hard in those 2 days...
    Thats so common its one reason health clubs sell contracts, they get paid even though said member hasn't appeared in months. Can you keep it up!? At your age it takes somehwere over 2 months to approach decent conditioning. It's nice to meet your new parents with strength and endurance but these D.I.'s regardless will take over your routine and see that you are tuned.

Today I am beat. My triceps hurt to the point where I'm barely capable of wiping my own...
    aaaaaaaaaawwwww nutmeg. Hoist your sippycup and holler for moms...more Ovaltine please!

One of the guys that I was working out with told me that when I'm burnin' and hurtin' is the best time to keep working out
    Thats basically false towards the extreme. I've done it often to finish a job and make a living but its suffering from tweeks in the long run and eventually makes one feel like shiat.

Should I be pushing even harder now? or is it ok to take a day off?
    Stay busy do all can. If you ache suck it up and adjust your workout but keep moving your days off are a luxury of the past.
    but when do i stop and take a break?
    damn you just started quit snivelling you had an 8 day vacation. Take a break on the plane and bus ride, geeze

--->Dave

I have to say I admire, in a sick way, someone who spends 18 days to get ready for the greatest challenge of his life.

I would say maintain and don't work as much. You sound about 17 days away from an injury if you aren't careful....

Walkingman hit the nail on the head, its too late to really get yourself into boocamp shape, you will just go thre with sore muscles at this point, or maybe hurt yourself.

You don't look like a fatbody, and you're young, so just enjoy your last few weeks of freedom and have fun, whatever shape you're in now will be what you will be in when you hit those yellow footprints. As the old saying goes, "your ass belongs to Uncle Sam".

Goodluck

Thank you all for your responses, 17 more days!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree, at this point there is no reason to worry about it. The DIs will get your body in shape....believe me they will!

haha, I said, "boocamp"....obviously I meant "bootcamp"....that 5 minute edit feature bit me in the arse again.

I signed up in March 86. I went to PI in Aug 86. I started training as soon as I enlisted. I followed my recruiters plan almoast to a "T"! I still wasn't ready! Your best bet at this point is to try as best you can to prepare mentally!

I weighed 10 more pounds than yourself, and was 5 inches taller. I weighed 145 when I came out on the parade deck, graduation day at Parris Island. You do the math, and than you will know that what you just did was completely and utterly useless, as far as preparation goes.

Thread Information