A Little Issue.
Create Post

Thread: A Little Issue.

A Little Issue.

I want to make it clear. I did not sign up for the money, this is something that came up when I was researching some topics.

The first time I went to the recruiter I talked to him about enlisting. I told him I wasn't interested in the money, but asked him if there was anything I was (should I use the word entitled?) to. His responce was "NO". Like I said. I am not doing it for the money, but if I am entitled to it. I would like to apply for it.

So like I said, I was researching some topics and came across this.
    http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradm...c?OpenDocument
    It is a document, about a enlistment bonus for certian MOS's in the selected reserves. When I brought this to my recruiter, his eyes litteraly lit up. He never expected me to come across this. Well, neither did I. I just noticed the words on the bottom of the left corner of the website.

He told me he would send the paper work in, and he would let me know what happens. After a few weeks of PT, and not hearing anything. I went today to see the new office, and ask some quetions about shipping out, and the bonus. He told me about how congress stopped all bonuses after January 1 until further notice, and I couldn't get anything. I was ok with that. I never really expected to even get it in the first place.

Now me being me. I went and searched. Not in disbeliefe, but just to understand what was happening. I came across this.
    http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradm...d?OpenDocument
    So as I am reading. I came to section 3,b. It states.
    "(1) DELAYED ENTRY PROGRAM (DEP) MEMBERS AS OF 31 DEC 2007 ARE GRANDFATHERED AND NOT AFFECTED BY THIS GUIDANCE."

Now I am wondering if he just missed this, or felt the need to leave it out. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but even my co-workers think something is going on there.

Here is a question to any Marine that knows the answer. Would there be a reason for a recruiter to try and hide this? Is there any type of incentive to hide anything like this from someone joining, like me?

I would go to the office tomorrow, but I have an appointment to get my taxes done, and I am heading straight to work after that. I will definetly bring the paper I printed to him, and see what he sais. For some reason. I am doubting he even sent the paperwork out. I don't want to not trust my recruiter, but this is making me wonder.

Again. My reason's to join the Marine Corps had nothing to do with money. **** I wasn't even moved when my recruiter tried talking to me about college tuition. He didn't have to do anything to convince me to join. I randomly walked right into the office, and told him I wanted to earn it. So please. Don't bash the fact, that I am asking about a bonus.

I can't say I don't care about the bonus, because obvously I wouldn't be asking about it. However. If it doesn't happen. Ill still wake up, and leave on my ship date with the only thought of the day I become a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Money or no,,,,,, It's Always good to keep a recruter in line,,,,,,,, I'm talkin to one now, for my son's best interest. Keep it up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Bruce

I would not think that the recruiter would have anything to gain. I don't know his experience on recruiting duty but things do change with budgets constantly. I would ask but not confront maybe he was not informed. If it were me I would make sure that you went to MEPS with everything that you asked for. I would make it my mission to answer your questions. You are what most recruiters pray to get into the office, a walk in that is qualified. Sometimes that is hard to find with no legal, moral, or physical problems. This is not rare just doesn't happen everyday. If you are having a problem speak with your recruiter's SNCOIC. It is better to get everything in the open than to wonder wheter you were treated fairly and completly, this would make things alot better for the recruiters reputation and confidence in himself/herself.

Good luck Bruce.

Thats what I thought. I don't think he has anything to gain, and I am hopeing he just didn't catch the part about me being grandfathered in. I guess sometimes I just wonder.

Like I said. I don't have any reason to not believe him. I didn't go searching because I thought he was lieing. I went searching because this is my life, and one hell of a commitment I am makeing. Ill be dammed if I am just going to jump in it with a blindfold on. I did that once when I was 19, and it ended in a repo, and bad credit. I learned my lesson there, and I will not ever let that happen again weather it be with a car, or anything else in my life.

I am not planning to walk in and be a jerk. I will bring in the papers I printed, and show him though.

I think SNCOIC is the Senior Non Commisioned Officer In Charge. Right now I believe that is the Gunny who I have been dealing with. I guess I say recruiter to geralize.

Chesty didn't get no sign-up bonus....

When I first saw this thread I thought it was called; A Little Tissue....

My understanding is that the recruiter will not usually offer, but if you ask, then it can be made part of the package. I am sure your mileage will vary.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt that it was accidental or he was miinformed. Get all the information you can and bring it to him and let him "help you" solve your issue.

I wouldn't go in guns blazing on a possible mistake, when this is the guy that is going to help slide your paperwork through. Then again...I would do your research and make sure you both have all the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    When I first saw this thread I thought it was called; A Little Tissue....
    Like I said. This isn't isn't why I joined, but if I can get it. You sure as hell can believe I am not going to say no.

I won't go in all ****ed off. Its not my intentions. I will bring it up, and show him the paper.

Thread Information