Switching from National Guard to Marine Corps
Create Post

Switching from National Guard to Marine Corps

I am currently in the Army National Guard, and have been for two years. I joined the guard to try and go to school while I served my country. After starting college I decided that I was not ready to conitinue with college. I wanted more out of life. I started to rething the path my life was going. I decided that I wanted I would like to go into the Marine Corps. I figured if I was going to go active duty I might as well do it the right way. I went to my unit Readiness NCO and asked him about what I would have to do to go into the Marine Corps. Needless to say he was not very happy about what I was telling him, but I didn't give up on the issue and continued to ask more questions. I found out that It was possible. Once I found out the forms that I needed I submited them to my Unit's Readiness NCO. He then informed me that I was flagged for Height Weight. I don't have a problem with PT it was just my Height weight. The problem is I stalky and for my height 67" i'm only allowed to weigh 165lbs. Right now I weight 180lbs. When they do body fat on me I come out anywhere for 22.86-27% the army uses the tape method to measure body fat. I'm not sure what to do now. Becoming a Marine is a Goal I have set for myself I can not see myself giving up on it. I don't care what I do in the Marine Corps as long as I can earn the title of U.S. Marine. Any advice or information I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

A Young hopeful

p.s. Sorry about the length of this post, but i wanted to give as much background info as I could

Goals

It is funny how many people set goals and have hopes and dreams, yet rarely do they follow through with them. I encourage all to follow their dreams no matter what they may be. I used to teach elementary school and I tried to encourage the kids to make goals that they thought they couldn't do. They wrote them down on a sheet of paper. At the end of the year I had them look at the goal they wrote down. Many couldn't believe that they accomplished that goal after 6-9 months.

I have been told on several occasions that "you will not be able to do this or that". I was told that about the Marine Corps. Three weeks before I left for Parris Island, I went to see a doctor about an ankle problem I had. I had broken my ankle in 8th grade and it gave me problems here and there. The doctor told me I would NEVER make it through Marine Corps bootcamp. I never listened to him. Thus I earned the "Title". You will never understand until you earn that "Title". If that is your dream, don't let it slip away. GO FOR IT!!!

As for being "stalky"... The Marine Corps will work through that. I have been short and stocky all my life. I was a year and half in when they told me I was overweight. Needless to say I was very far from "overweight". They came and took my body fat percentages and found I was way under. You will be fine if that is the case.

There are others here that will give you more definitive answers and provide more avenues for you to approach. Like Jimmy V said; Don't Give up! Don't Ever Give Up!"

Good Luck!

Regards,

Jerry

Registered User Free Member Barndog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    A little story of the National Guard - and the Marines. I joined the Marines on my own accord. At 6'6 and 270, it was going to be tough. I came out of boot camp at 193, and stabilized around 230-240 - with my max being 235. I spent the vast majority of my Marine Corps time on weight control - not because I was fat or couldn't PT - I was a 1st class PFT. It was because of the uniform you see. I didn't fit the poster picture the Corps wanted. It never stopped me. Not ONCE.
    As for the National Guard, I was promoted to E-5 based upon my skills in aviation, and the leadership I possessed. The VERY next drill weekend, a short squat acting 1Sgt took the same SGT stripe away, stating I was now on weight control. My section Chief wasn't impressed with that maneuver, and the 'acting 1sgt' never made it to 1Sgt - by some stroke of S-1.
    I lost my 2 year old son to cancer in 1987. I then de-activated myself from the Guards, with the grace of the Colonel of the facility. Desert Storm came, being a Marine, I packed my seabag, grabbed my stuff and showed up at the hanger (UH-1 mechanic/door gunner/SAR/medivac) the 'new' captain said we are overstaffed. I asked to see the Colonel (who was my company commander when I was in) He was now the Colonel.
    I went into the Col's office and explained that I was reporting for duty. The Col. said in the back of his mind, he expected me, knowing my Marine background. Unfortunately, the Army runs on a different drummer than the Corps. He said 'we have 37 more people that the Army allows us to have... I can't take you Tony'.
    I replied, " Colonel, all the money, training, thousands of hours of flight time, and you have too many people, half of which don't even want to be here, and you wont take me? I am not impressed with your Army, Sir, not what so ever".

And I left never to return again.

Tell that National Guard Readiness NCO too keep trying. When your heart and head are wired together, there is nothing else that matters.
    ARMY = Aint Ready for Marines Yet

Semper FI

Barndog

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Post See the Marine Corps recruiter first

Your Marine Corps recruiter should be your starting point. The Marine Corps will need to initiate a DD368, release from reserve component request. This form requires the signature of the Commander or his designate. This is usually not a "readiness" NCO. Often times it is the XO or adjutant. Your recruiter will tell you about the Marine Corps height and weight standards and you will actually have to run a USMC PFT to get a waiver or be considered for enlistment. So, call a Marine Corps recruiter who will tell you how to get it done, not how it can't be done.

I did it myself

I joined the NG in 1980 (at 17yrs old and an Junior in HS - I did finish HS after the summer) and transferred to the USMC 1982.

Its a good deal, I did lose all rank (E-3) and had to go open contract (but got the same mos.. duh), but kept my original entry for the start of my Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD) which pay is computed, also my Armed Forces Active Duty Base Date (AFADBD) was adjusted to '81 vice '82 because of the NG active duty time I already had - this means that I hit my "20" four months earlier than USMC Boot.

Just as Sixguns said - First see the USMC Recruiter then just make your unit sign the release. I didnt have a problem, but the CO was shocked that I was going in the USMC and not the Army, because you will have to go through boot all over again..... well not really "again" - USMC is a lot harder!

I am still an Active Duty Marine having a blast... well for 90 more days, I am going to retire!

Semper Fi,

Thank you

Thank you all for all of the help. I spoke with a recruiter a few months ago; I was then told that if i didn't let off for awhile they were not ever going to do it. I'm now starting to see that this was just a way to get me to shut up.(I guess i'm a little slow) I now Know that if I'm ever going to get my release i'm going to have to keep up on it. I guess I don't understand why they won't release me because they say i'm over weight, but I meet the requirements for weight to ship to recruit training. Oh well, Again thanks for all the help I'm going to just have to keep asking and never quit. Thank you all for help.

p.s. Congrats on your Retirement Top and thanks for your service

Thread Information