From Afghanistan to the airwaves
Create Post

Thumbs up From Afghanistan to the airwaves

From Afghanistan to the airwaves

July 12, 2007 11:49 AM

July 11, 2007

Albany-- A Marine's tale of heroism will soon reach millions of people through the television screen. Although combat in Afghanistan is far from being history, The History Channel has picked up on the story of First Sergeant William Bodette and his comrades.

First Sergeant William Bodette has a scar that runs from his lip to the bottom of his chin. "I call it a trophy," said Bodette.

He won't reveal exactly how he got it but he will tell you about his other injuries from war. "By an insurgent. I was shot in the hip and and I took another ricochet in the hand," said Bodette.

So far, a safe record considering nearly 20 years spent in the Marine Corps. He followed in the military footsteps of his grandfather, two uncles and an older brother. "I just knew that it was the best fighting organization that I could possibly join," said Bodette.

Since then he's been in operations all over the world.

"Everywhere from Japan to Norway," said Bodette. In May of 2004, Afghanistan was the destination as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. "I think about it everyday," said Bodette.

Everyday, then ranked Gunnery Sergeant Bodette, and his fellow Marines fought the Taliban and al-Qaida forces. The mission is now explored in a History Channel documentary called "Shootout: Hunt for Bin Laden."

"It shows how I was in the Kunar province of Afghanistan along the Peche River when I was actually attached to a special Forces Green Beret detachment, me and about 48 other Marines," said Bodette.

They were ambushed three times in just one month and forced to fight from one side of a raging river 50 feet wide and 9 feet deep. "So we really couldn't maneuver on them. We had to sit there and we had to fight it out then and there, just man on man going at it," said Bodette.

But Bodette says the best man won. "We just overwhelmed them with awesome firepower and we were obviously more trained than they were. They picked a fight they couldn't win," said Bodette.

For his bravery during the attacks, Bodette received a Bronze Star with a V for Valor, just one of many awards that line his wall. Now safe in an MCLB office, he misses combat.

"I don't miss putting Marines in body bags. I don't miss that. I don't ever want to see that again but there's something about being there in combat. Life is so much simpler," said Bodette.

What he considers simple is accomplishing a mission and taking care of your marines. That simple message can now be seen by the world.

Bodette has also fought in Iraq. Ironically, the first time this documentary aired back on November 5th 2005, Bodette was lying in a Baghdad hospital from the injuries he mentioned in the story. He says he still hasn't seen the entire documentary.

You can see the documentary on the History Channel Thursday at noon.

Ellie

Bo is a good friend of ...
    Bo singing for us ...LOL

The Husband and my oldest son watched this. They both enjoyed it and it ment a little more to the Husband since he knows Bodette from PI.

He recently ran into him in GA, says he's doing good. I only met Bodette twice, but have heard about him from the Husband--He's a great guy and Damn Fine Marine

I knew then Cpl Bodette a long time ago (or so it seems). We were both with 3/6 and played on Bn Rugby team. He looks the same. Would love to get in touch with him and catch up. He was always a great Marine and a lot of fun to be around (remember the Alamo!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gomez
    I knew then Cpl Bodette a long time ago (or so it seems). We were both with 3/6 and played on Bn Rugby team. He looks the same. Would love to get in touch with him and catch up. He was always a great Marine and a lot of fun to be around (remember the Alamo!!)
    Bo is now a 1st Sgt station in GA...
    He does come back to visit us once in awhile....

He hasn't change, he always makes us laugh

Ellie

He still owes me 50 bucks. If you see him, let him know I said "Semper Fi" and God Bless him and his (and you & yours too). He can reach me at sgtg@frontiernet.net. I know it's been a long time but I think he would remember Redhorse Rugby and a fun trip to San Antonio to play. Back in 92 with 3/6 I think if you would have told either one of us that Bo would be back with Kilo 3/6 as the Co Gunny 12 years later (I was a CPL in Lima, he was in Kilo then I believe) we both would have laughed. One time on Oki over a couple of beers, we were discussing reenlistment. He said he wasn't going to. Had enough, blah,blah,blah. I told him of course he was. We both were. What else could we do? Nothing else in the world we could do. Besides I told him, "What are you gonna do with a face like that? Sell insurance?" He just turned with that patented Bo look. Priceless. I still laugh when I think of that. Ask him to tell you about the time in the Schwab "O" club when he had a bunch of 1/7 2ndLt's convinced he was a mustang Capt and they should leave their CPL's and SGT's alone. Had our BN CO busting up. Funny story. Good times. Would be neat to see him as SgtMaj for 3/6.

Thread Information