At least 500 troops openly gay, group says
By Andrea Stone - USA Today
Posted : Tuesday Jan 8, 2008 6:34:46 EST

Army Sgt. Darren Manzella figured that stating he was gay on national television would surely get him booted from the military under the Pentagon’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. But Manzella has heard nothing in the three weeks since he told CBS’ “60 Minutes” that his fellow soldiers knew he was gay and the program aired a home video that showed him kissing a former boyfriend.

“I thought I would at least be asked about the segment or approached and told I shouldn’t speak to the media again,” said Manzella, 30, a medic who recently returned from Kuwait and plans to hold a news conference Tuesday in Washington to discuss the military’s silence.

He said he is among a growing number of service members who have told other troops and even commanders they are gay and have not been discharged.

The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a gay advocacy group, says it knows of about 500 gay troops who are serving openly without consequences.

“That’s the highest number we’ve ever been aware of,” said SLDN spokesman Steve Ralls. “Their experiences point to an undeniable shift in the armed forces.”

Manzella said he was invited to join more than 600 members of an invitation-only MySpace group, Guys and Gals Like Us, for gays who don’t hide their orientation from their units. The members use pseudonyms because some gay service members have been discharged for acknowledging their sexual orientation elsewhere online.

Nearly 12,000 troops have been dismissed under the policy approved by President Clinton in 1993. Discharges peaked at 1,273 in 2001 and have fallen sharply since the war began.

“A lot of service members are getting ‘wink-wink’ treatment from their commanders,” said Aaron Belkin, director of the Palm Center at the University of California, Santa Barbara, which studies the policy.

Elaine Donnelly, whose Center for Military Readiness favors a ban on gays, said “skepticism is in order” about reports that they are serving openly without sanctions. She said she has been “bothering” commanders at Manzella’s base, Fort Hood, Texas, to take action since the “60 Minutes” piece aired.

“We have yet to get an answer,” she said. “His commanders should be disciplined appropriately for failing to do their duty.”

Manzella, who earned a Combat Medical Badge for service in Baghdad, said he’s been open about his sexuality for 18 months, adding that he told his commander he was gay because he was getting anonymous e-mails threatening to expose him. The Army investigated in August 2006 and viewed the video that showed his boyfriend.

After all that, “They found ‘no evidence of homosexuality,’” Manzella said. “They recommended that I just go back and keep doing my job.”

He soon headed to Kuwait for his second Iraq war deployment.

Col. Diane Battaglia, a Fort Hood spokeswoman, said Manzella’s commanders were unavailable for comment because his unit was re-deploying from the Middle East. But, she said, “There’s always an investigation conducted” when a soldier declares he’s gay.

Army spokesman Paul Boyce said the “policy is public law, and it is being enforced.” It’s not illegal to be gay in the military, he points out, as long as a service member keeps quiet.

Eugene Fidell of the National Institute of Military Justice, a group of military legal experts, wonders whether the dwindling number of discharges suggests broader implications for the policy.

“Is it dying basically for lack of interest?” he asked. “Military managers may be turning a blind eye because it’s a nuisance, and we need these people.”

Ellie