Searching for MSgt. Donald R. Welch, Aviation Ordnanceman
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Searching for MSgt. Donald R. Welch, Aviation Ordnanceman

Trying to locate an real old, longtime friend.

Credits
    Savings
    Welcome Home Sir, and thanks for your service.

Have you tried, together we served dot com?

Thanks, that is a great site for Marines...

Vietnam tet holiday
    Tet - Vietnamese and Chinese Lunar New Year, is the most important Festival of Vietnamese people. This scared Festival sometime between late January or early February (depend on Lunar Calendar ) and Tet has become so familiar to the Vietnamese that when Spring arrives, the Vietnamese, wherever they may be, are all thrilled and excited with the advent of Tet, and they feel an immense nostalgia, wishing to come back to their homeland for a family reunion and a taste of the particular flavours of the Vietnamese festivities.. Although officially a three-day affair, festivities may continue for a week or more with every effort made to indulge in eating, drinking, and enjoyable social activities. It is also a time for family reunions, and for paying respect to ancestors and the elders. Gifts of food are made to friends, neighbors and relatives in the days before Tet.
    The Tet of the New Year is, above all, is an opportunity for the household genies to meet, those who have helped during the year, namely the Craft Creator, the Land Genie and the Kitchen God. Tet is also an opportunity to invite and welcome deceased ancestors back for a family reunion with their descendants to join the family's Tet celebrations. Finally, Tet is a good opportunity for family members to meet. This custom has become sacred and secular and, therefore, no matter where they are or whatever the circumstances, family members find ways to come back to meet their loved ones, gather for a dinner of traditional foods like bánh chưng (a square cake made of sticky rice stuffed with beans and pork), măng (a soup of boiled bamboo shoots and flied pork) and xôi gấc (orange sticky rice). This is followed by a visit to the local pagodas
    Everyone is in a rush to get a haircut, buy new clothes, spruce up their homes, visit friends, settle outstanding debts, and stock up on traditional Tet delicacies. Businesses hang festive red banners which read "Chuc Mung Nam Moi" (Happy New Year) and city streets are fes*tooned. With colored lights. Stalls spring up all over town to sell mut (candied fruits and jams), traditional cakes, and fresh fruit and flowers. Certain markets sell nothing but cone-shaped kumquat bushes. Others sell flowering peach trees, symbols of life and good fortune which people bring into their homes to celebrate the coming of spring. As vendors pour into the City with peach trees strapped to their bicycles, the streets look like moving pink forests.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Are you positive his name is Donald and not Dolph? Years ago I knew a Dolph Welch who I was stationed with at MWSG-17 (Station Weapons) at Iwakuni, Japan. Last time I saw him, he was NCOIC of Station Ordnance, Yuma, AZ and was a MSGT. This was 1975.

No, his name is Don. He never was station in Yuma. Thanks anyway.

Found Info on MSgt. Welch

Unable to contact Don or his family but I read today, in the "Semper Fi" newsletter, that my old friend had passed away in March 2011. He had retired back in Feb. 1973. He had 3 children. One of which was also an Aviation Ordnanceman like his dad.

Don, you will be missed... Semper Fi.

Jack McNutt

Why?

join9527,

What was your intent on replying about a Marine's death with advertisments? Don't understand your response...

Sir I have seen that on almost every post on here. I think someones account got hacked or something of that nature. Sorry to hear about your friend. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmar View Post
    join9527,

What was your intent on replying about a Marine's death with advertisments? Don't understand your response...
    I think if you look at his profile, he is a poser. An E-1, joined in '85, still in the service?? I think not.

Hi mcmar... MSgt. Welch was my grandfather. He did indeed pass in March, of cancer. I'm sorry that I didn't find this thread sooner..

Feel free to send me a message if you'd like. If you have any questions I'd love to answer them.

Happy Veterans' Day, Fellas. Semper Fi.

Great to hear from you...

Thank you for contacting me. Your grandfather was one of my truely great friends. I had known him since 1964. I really miss him. More so now that I know that I will never see him again. I don't know how open this site so here is my email address. I hope that you will contact me via email.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jack McNutt

Jack - there was no email address listed in that!

Thread Information