Quantico reserve unit ships out to Iraq War MARINES >> 'Band of brothers' among those deploying
January 4, 2008 12:36 am

By CATHY DYSON

Tom Patsos fought back tears yesterday as he gave some last-minute advice to his son, who was setting out on his first deployment.

He told Brandon, a 22-year-old Marine corporal, to focus on the job in Iraq.

"Don't worry about your bills or your girlfriend or anything back home. We'll take care of all that," the father said, as he held his son close. "Just pay attention to your mission--and come back home."

Then, the elder Patsos told Brandon to do something that's been almost second nature to the younger man in recent years.

"Never be alone," he said. "Look out for each other."

Chances are, no members of this "Band of Brothers" needed to be reminded to stick together.

Six young men, who grew up within 10 miles of each other in Spotsylvania County, joined the Marines together in the wake of terrorist attacks.

Since then, they've been constant companions, as much as schedules allowed.

In 2005, the group was featured in a story in The Free Lance-Star. Yesterday, four of them set out for their first tour of duty.

They were Patsos and Jason Story, Chris Bowers and Adam Dinger, all lance corporals. The four were among about 150 members of Delta Company of the 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion.

The reserve unit is based at Camp Upshur on Quantico Marine Corps Base. Most of its members live within 100 miles of the base.

Two other "brothers," Ricky Baffa and Corey Matus, are active-duty Marines.

Yesterday morning, more than 400 friends and relatives of the reservists gathered to say goodbye. For hours, they lingered in "the drill deck," an open area as big as a gymnasium in the Reserve Training Center.

The Marines fed the group breakfast, then lunch. A photographer snapped portraits of couples and family groups, then printed the pictures on the spot.

Three-fourths of Delta Company members were heading into a war zone for the first time, said Maj. Alex Remily, reservist commander.

Few looked more somber than the Moffett family of Amissville.

Lance Cpl. Shane Moffett seemed even younger than 18 as he sat on the top row of bleachers.

His parents, Mike and Sheryl Moffett, looked forlorn. His girlfriend, Tiffany Turner, wore a blue Virginia sweatshirt and black nail polish as she clung to his side. She told him she didn't want him to go.

His parents may have had longer to prepare for the deployment, but they struggled, too.

"I've known this has been coming since he was 10 years old," his father said. "It's all he ever wanted to do."

"I thought he might change his mind," said his mother. "I tried to get him to change his mind."

But the 18-year-old was certain he was doing the right thing.

"I feel like I'm serving my country," Moffett said. "That's what I'm meant to do."

The reservists will train in California and North Carolina, then head to the Al Anbar province in March. They'll stay in central Iraq at least through October.

Mary O'Herron hopes the unit is back in time for her daughter's first birthday on Oct. 15.

Yesterday, Cpl. Mike O'Herron clutched his little bundle of pink, Vera Kate, who's 21/2 months old. He repeatedly told his wife and parents, Sheila and Ray O'Herron of northern Fauquier County, that time would pass quickly.

"It will be over before you know it," he kept saying.

The younger O'Herrons considered themselves lucky. At least Mike was there for the birth of his first child; several men in his unit left behind pregnant partners.

The couple plan to videotape all the milestones Mike will miss. He's taking a portable DVD player with him to view the home movies.

At least his daughter won't remember any of the deployment, Mike said. That gave him and his wife some comfort on a day they were relying heavily on their faith.

"God will totally take care of us," Mary O'Herron said. "If he brings you to it, he'll get you through it--that's pretty much our motto right now."
Cathy Dyson: 540/374-5425
Email: cdyson@freelancestar.com

Ellie