Presidential Guard same as MSG???
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Presidential Guard same as MSG???

I received a letter from my son who is at Boot Camp in San Diego. He said he has been going through a screening process for "Presidential Guard Duty". While searching the web for info about this specific MOS I am finding very little. Is this duty and actual MOS or a duty assignment? Is this the same as being a Marine Security Guard? If he is chosen for this duty, will he first get his contracted MOS? If not, and he doesn't make it through the screening/training process, then what?
    I find this site very informative! Thanks to all those that take the time to answer all these questions.

He is being screened to work at Camp David. He will still go to Infantry School and be given an 03XX MOS. It is different than Security Forces, who are given a contract to go security forces. Marine Security Guards are different, too. They guard our embassies and I don't think you can enlist as a new Marine to do it, but I may be wrong on that.
    Anyway, if he goes to Camp David, it is usually a 2 year tour, like 8th and I Marines. He will do some training at Quantico to stay somewhat fresh on his infantry MOS throughout the guard tour. He then will get orders to the fleet. Hopefully, he will come to the fleet ready to be a fleet Marine.
    I spent all 4 of my years in an Infantry Batallion. we had lots of Security Forces, 8th and I, and other Marines show up as Corporals with no prior fleet time. Some were great, and some were not-so-great. They will have less experience as fleet Marines. But, as long as they are willing to learn and listen, they do fine. Either way, he has a great opportunity that only he can decide if he wants to pursue. keep us posted on what he does.

He will also get a Top Secret Security Clearance. He'll be waiting for that investigation in Washington DC and be assigned to 8th & I, Marine Barracks. That will likely take about six months or so to complete.

It's good duty, and a fine opportunity, he should jump at it if he gets the chance.

Presidential Guard Duty

Thanks for the info and the speedy response! I copied what you both wrote and am sending it to him in the mail today. He said in his letter that the "screening team" will be back next week. He is due to graduate on Jan 18th. Do you think he will know if he has been accepted for this duty prior to graduation or will they notifiy him during his MOS training. His MOS is Infantry and training is Camp Pendleton.
    JJ

He'll probably get notified in SOI, but it could be sooner. Depends on how many they want in the pipeline.

Good luck..and keep us updated!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have a friend who enlisted as UW. What is the policy on girlfriends and marriage?

Fill out your profile and you might get a coherent answer. Until then, all you'll get from most is brickbats.

Like this:

UW??? What the hell is UW?

UnderWater?

Unconventional Warfare?

Unwilling William?

Credits
    Savings
    I have a friend who enlisted as a Presidential guard. What is the policy on girlfriends and marriage?

None per se. You'll have to be more specific. Even Marines in special programs are allowed to date, etc.

Credits
    Savings
    I thought when he enlisted he signed something that said depending on how high up he got as Presidential guard that he may not be able to date etc. until he had been enlisted for two years or was a Corporal or Sergeant. Do you think that its different depending on the person (every contract is different?) I could be wrong I was just wondering if there was a "uniform" rule/policy for that MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MY LITTLE OR SHOULD I SAY YOUNGER BROTHER WAS AROUND BOTH,MSG SCHOOL WAS A REAL BEAR;HE STILL SPITSHINES HIS HUNTING BOOT'S (LOL) PLUS HE WAS FLUENT IN 3 FOREIGH LANGUAGES.HE HAD TOP- SECRET CLEARENCE.

What Heavy Gunner said is (was) absolutely true. Especially the part of going to the fleet and needing to know the infantry skills. If your son gets accepted into the program it's a great program! Not many Marines earn the Presidential Service Badge and I at least still consider it an honor to have earned mine.
    As for the dating. The only stipulation that I recall was that we weren't supposed to date foreign nationals. While in the DC area dating is ripe for a Marine. At Camp David the chances are a lot less. Not much around that area!But there are women none the less, I know I dated several in the area. Some Marines have a hard time adjusting from DC to Camp David. It's all in what they want to do on their off time.
    With any luck he should know before graduation that he will be going to 8th & I for the program.
    Best of luck. Wear the Badge with pride. Lower numbrs buy the senior numbers a beer.

Hi everyone im new and i know nothing about the marines except that my boyfriend is becoming one. i want more information so i can be better prepared for myself and also so i can better support him. He is currently a senior in high school and will go to boot camp after graduation. He told me recently that his recruiter told him he will be a presidential guard. i want to know what this means, what he will be doing, where he will be, how long he will be doing this, and basicly any information anyone can give me.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR View Post
    Hi everyone im new and i know nothing about the marines except that my boyfriend is becoming one. i want more information so i can be better prepared for myself and also so i can better support him. He is currently a senior in high school and will go to boot camp after graduation. He told me recently that his recruiter told him he will be a presidential guard. i want to know what this means, what he will be doing, where he will be, how long he will be doing this, and basicly any information anyone can give me.
    Like, uh, well, uh maybe, like, did you like, umm, take the uh, time to read post #7?

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay66 View Post
    He is due to graduate on Jan 18th.
    JJ
    Graduation at Pendleton are on Sunday? And thanks for sharing that info about your son. Sounds exciting!

Thread Information