Doing the right thing - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well Im glad that I dont have anything to worry about but was talking to my cousin who leaves for boot camp 20080106 to PI. The topic of medical records and stuff came up. Thanks for the help.

This is a interesting topic. Only because my friend lied to the Docs at MEPS about ALOT of stuff, lol. I refuse to say his name because that isn't right, however I worry about how long it will be until they find out. He was diagnosed and perscribed meds for ADHD, Depression and a Herniation in his back, along with a bunch of other things (attempted suicide, etc. etc.) Most of this stuff was when he was younger. Like 13-16. Except the back thing. Thats more recent. He lied about all of this and passed the Physical.

I go an tell them I took Aderal when I was 11 years old (21 now) and they DQ me immediatly. But, even though they DQ'd me at first and I had to get a waiver, I feel so much safer now. I don't have anything hanging over my head to worry about if they go snooping around my records. He, on the other hand, will have a mess of issues to avoid throughout his time in the Corps. And the scary part was my recruiter is the one who told him to lie about it all. Crazy. Hope nothing happens to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan629
    And the scary part was my recruiter is the one who told him to lie about it all.
    I have some friends that are at a diffrent RSS who have the same things going on. They don't unerstand that it's on them to tell the truth.

"I do what my recruiter tells me to and trust it's the right thing"

"They know what they are talking about, they say it won't get found, then it won't."

I feel bad for the kid. He has a good drive to be a Marine but is going to screw it up before he get's that dream if he doesn't tell the truth.

They just want the stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Oookay.

The big kicker here will be, however, was, WERE you diagnosed as "Depressed", (number one), by competent medical authority, and, (number two...the biggie) WERE you prescribed medication for it?
    Yes, I was diagnosed as "depressed". No, I wasn't prescribed medication. I shouldn't have a problem in getting a qualified doc with ANY sense in his head to say I'm fine.

Now you are making assumptions. The good thing is, no meds.

Go find a qualified doctor and get an official opinion that you are NOT depressed or whatever. IN WRITING. Your regular family doctor would be best since he could cite years of experience knowing you, etc. Then bring that with you to the recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan629
    And the scary part was my recruiter is the one who told him to lie about it all.
    Ok, I know that not all recruiters are perfect and honest, but I feel like every other day I come on here and read about some wannabe's medical issue and they're saying how their recruiter has told them to lie or to be dishonest about something. This just seems a little unrealistic to me. I think it's more of the recruiter's saying something like what they said to me: "If you cracked your thumb bone when you were 6 and it hasn't given you any problems since then, then I wouldn't worry about saying anything about it."
    I seriously doubt that there are recruiters out there telling kids to lie about their depression or the screws holding their bones together or asthma.
    I have a feeling that there are poolies who are just voluntarily withholding information and are now scared of getting caught and are just using their recruiter as a scapegoat in case they get caught. "What, no my recuiter told me not to tell anyone about my surgery! It's not my fault! He said no one would find out!"

Good point, Patriot. Why would a recruiter potentially do something career killing of that magnitude (falsely enlisting someone who is knowingly UQ) just to get a 'stat'?? Not saying some of them don't, (the usual 10 percent) but I agree with you.

Also, just FYI, recruits enlisting (falsely) with all these "Issues" WILL eventually get busted.

When they do, out the door they will go, and quite frankly, if I knew who they were, I'd report them myself. They are liars from the git-go, and a liability for REAL Marines if they ever make it to the FMF or god forbid, combat.

Think on that. You are not only putting your OWN life in danger, but that of your buddies, when you go out with ashtma, can't understand or follow simple instructions because of ADD or whatever the hell the current crap is (BiPolar, Mental masturbator, inability to function...don't know and don't care) being bandied about, or the pin in your back snaps while humping, etc etc. The list is long and endless, but those DQ's are there for a frakkin reason!

Lastly, you are wasting MY tax dollars!

If something is waiverable, get it waived, but be honest about it. Otherwise, you are a liar and a charlatan, no matter your 'good intentions' (which are just self serving most of the time...it's the kultur, I know..but it's still this ME ME ME ME ME thing) to enlist.

This didn't start out to be a 'call for fire' but it sure ended as one.....

Sgt,

I honestly couldn't agree with you more. That is why I am dealing with the situation i'm in now with BuMED. I often wonder how long my buddy will go before getting caught. (ADD, Depresssion, Bi-Polar, Bulging disks in back and the list goes on). All withheld from the docs at MEPS.

Your post made me feel better about the fact that I told them everything when I was at MEPS. At least once it is cleared up, I have nothing to worry about once I get in.

-Dan

Clean slate is ALWAYS the best way in the long run. It will pay off.

I was on anti depressents for 4-5 years in middle school to early HS. I did need a waiver and two doctors notes, but I was given a waiver and now will NEVER have to worry about this for my entire military career.

My docs explained in letters that I was minorly depressed and anxious (and included session notes) and that likely helped a lot. If it turns out you thought about or attempted suicide you may be looking at a whole different game.

Good luck

Mike

Thread Information