This puts a damper on things...
Create Post

This puts a damper on things...

Well i've really been wanting to DEP in for some time now but i'm struggling with these last 10lbs. So i've been pushing myself to my limits and beyond for the past 3 weeks. Anyways i've been having this pain in my right quadricep for about a week now but that didnt really stop me from training though. So it finally got so painful that I just couldnt take it anymore. I went to the doctors Saturday got a X-ray and a MRI and I went in about 45 minutes ago to see what was up. No broken bones BUT I have a slight tear in my right quad. I wont need surgery cause it's not that bad it will heal in time. I pretty much cant do any running or resistence training for about 3-5 months so says the Doctor. I'm not the one that listens to Doctors cause they over exagerate everything. But I dont wanna mess with the quad cause i've heard you can be out close to a year if you tear it really bad. So I guess i'll take it easy for a few months but this isnt gonna stop me from training. I'll find something to do that cant help me lose weight. The thing that amazes me was I trained for a week (Ya I know it's only a week but still )with a slightly torn quad. I will keep ya'll updated when something comes up and this will not stop me from acheiving my goal this only puts another hurdle that I have to jump to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    I'll find something to do that cant help me lose weight.
    I meant CAN help me lose weight

If you can't run, you can at least walk. Keep eating right as well.

Pound out whatever cardio you can. Keep hard chargin.

Don't push the envelope with a torn muscle. I've had them....the only, and I mean only thing that will help them heal is time. If you continue to work your quad, it will only make matters worse. I played football for three years with a partially torn or strained I think groin muscle. I still have probs with it now and again because I never let the damn thing heal. You're young....don't screw yourself.

Rowing machine comes to mid, along with a lot of upper body toning stuff you can do.

Mike

Find a swimming pool where athletes cover laps, not the public urchin pool, they cant teach you anything. 20, 25 or 30 minutes of freestyle (australian crawl) is comparable to upper body running. It really doesn't do as much for the legs somehwat like running doesn't do much for the arms and you dont have to use your legs at all if you so chose. If you cant picture yourself a lap swimmer, get a library book and and study technique. I did this in '92 and in less than a month went from someone who could only spaz out a couple laps before foundering, and began swimming a 1/2 hour non stop with tolerable technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    I pretty much cant do any running or resistence training for about 3-5 months so says the Doctor. I'm not the one that listens to Doctors cause they over exagerate everything
    They diagnose and reccomend treatment after years of study and training in strict protocol. If an MD's 'advice' sounds absurd its because they know from experience that idiots and those who know nothing about medicine dont understand the importance of orders. Think about that. If you had years of training in medicine what would you tell some rock head whos gonna leave the office on a skateboard. hehehe Do you know more about musculoskeletal anatomy and trauma than a orthopedic surgeon? Your attemtping to be a Marine, do you know more about the making of Marines than your future D.I.'s? Are you ready and can you follow orders from professionals? Your future Corpsman is by no means a doctor and less educated than an RN and besides a dentist, will likely be the only medical professional you ever have contact with. Can you respect the Corpsman with his modest medical education?

--->Dave

Be careful! You don't want to push yourself and make things worse. I was in the same boat as you, trying to lose my last 10 lbs. to DEP, working out like crazy, and then I broke my collar bone (not because of exercising though...). The doc said at least 8 months until I can enlist. My followup appointment was earlier this week and he said I should be good to go in 4 months. I haven't really exercised at all in the past 7 weeks since it happened, just a little walking. I was too afraid to hurt myself more. It really sucks to start back up from ground zero but it will be better in the long run. Doctors do tend to overexaggerate but you're young so your body can heal fast. Just don't over do it. Listen to your body. My unprofessional suggestion would be to let it rest and heal for a bit (a couple weeks) then start working it slowly if you're that impatient. If it were me, I wouldn't work it at all until I saw the doc again. Just try to keep up with a good diet and don't gain that weight back that you worked hard to lose. The swimming pool sounds good to me like SlingerDun said. Don't lose your motivation. I totally understand what you're going through. We're here for you! :]

Thnx all for the support and advice really appreciate it. There are actually no pools in my town i'd have to go to another one to do that. I do however have a pool in my backyard although I am not ready to swim in 56 degree water. I live in Arizona and it was 71 degrees out today and I was FREEZING lol.
    They diagnose and reccomend treatment after years of study and training in strict protocol. If an MD's 'advice' sounds absurd its because they know from experience that idiots and those who know nothing about medicine dont understand the importance of orders. Think about that. If you had years of training in medicine what would you tell some rock head whos gonna leave the office on a skateboard. hehehe Do you know more about musculoskeletal anatomy and trauma than a orthopedic surgeon? Your attemtping to be a Marine, do you know more about the making of Marines than your future D.I.'s? Are you ready and can you follow orders from professionals? Your future Corpsman is by no means a doctor and less educated than an RN and besides a dentist, will likely be the only medical professional you ever have contact with. Can you respect the Corpsman with his modest medical education?
    I understand what your saying and I do tend to shrug off what doctors say and it never helps. I'll listen to this one and just take it easy. I can still walk with ease but cant run. So i'll continue to walk and hopefully that wont make it worse. The doc did say I was ok to walk so if it gets worse I blame him

hay yo

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    Find a swimming pool where athletes cover laps, not the public urchin pool, they cant teach you anything. 20, 25 or 30 minutes of freestyle (australian crawl) is comparable to upper body running. It really doesn't do as much for the legs somehwat like running doesn't do much for the arms and you dont have to use your legs at all if you so chose. If you cant picture yourself a lap swimmer, get a library book and and study technique. I did this in '92 and in less than a month went from someone who could only spaz out a couple laps before foundering, and began swimming a 1/2 hour non stop with tolerable technique.

--->Dave

lol. ya slinger is right, dont underestimate a Dr.'s orders. I see so many marines that end up having bigger problems bc they didnt follow my, or the Dr.'s instructions.

or my personal favorite.......hay doc, ive had this rash for four weeks and i need it seen today...lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Eat banannas,,,,,,,, No. I'm not kidding. Has nothing to do with the Bananna King. Has to do with potassium, and muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Eat banannas,,,,,,,, No. I'm not kidding. Has nothing to do with the Bananna King. Has to do with potassium, and muscles.
    EVERY time I hear the word banana... you guys crack me up...

Thread Information