Col. Dan Johnson
Create Post

Col. Dan Johnson

COLONEL DAN HARDING JOHNSON (USMC RETIRED) - 87, passed away on Thursday, December 20th, at Heartland Hospice in Cartersville, Georgia. Born November 13th, 1920 in Torrington, Wyoming, he served as a Marine Corps fighter pilot in WWII, Korea , and was commander of the Marine Aircraft Group 13 in Chu Lai, Vietnam. From 1961 to 1965, he was the Marine Corps liaison officer to the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. He attended the Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania in 1966 and while there received his Masters in International Affairs from George Washington University. After 28 years of active service he retired as a Colonel to live in Knoxville, Tennessee. He then served for 13 years with the Tennessee Medicaid system retiring in 1982. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Sarah Elizabeth Fowler from Knoxville, Tennessee; three daughters, Jacqueline in Indiana, Dana in Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth in Georgia; eight grandchildren, and six great grandchildren. He also leaves behind his brother, Morris, and two sisters, Virginia and Alice. Funeral services will be held at Arlington Cemetery in Washington, D.C on Monday, February 11th. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the ALS Clinic at Emory University in Atlanta, GA.

I met Col. Johnson, he was a Lt Col at the time, in August, 1958. He was CO of VMF(AW)314. We were at Atsugi. His obit says he was a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea, but I will also tell you he was one fine fighter pilot in Ping Tung, Taiwan. His leadership / management style was one to emulate / copy. I will forever be indebted to him. He was a Marine's Marine!!

Semper Fidelis, Marine!! Rest in peace, King Dan!!

E. E. Mason, Sergeant, USMC
    s/n 1597346

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Semper Fi Col Johnson!

Warriors like these are the ones that taught the 'College Boys' how to fight in the air! Ohh-rah!

Last edited by yellowwing; 12-24-07 at 09:26 PM.

(hand salute)

Rest in Peace, Marine.

I had the pleasure of working with Col Johnson, who liked to be called Dan, in the early 80's at the State of TN Health Department in Nashville where he worked as an administrator. A real gentleman and all around great guy. He told some interesting stories about his flying career. He said that he flew every day he was in Vietnam so that if anything happened to his F4 he would immediately know by the presence of any unusual sound. I miss him. RIP Colonel.

Semper Fi Rest In Peace Sir,Handsalute.............2

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Thread Information