0861 (Field Support/Forward Observer)
Create Post

0861 (Field Support/Forward Observer)

Alright, heres the deal. I just took my highschool exit exam (which I know I passed) and will be getting the results of it in 6-8 weeks. The day they come in I get my diploma and they're flying me to MEPs the day after. Assuming I score high enough to qualify for 0861, I think thats what I'm going to be entering as. Originally I wanted to be Infantry, but I recently got wind of this MOS and I liked how the recruiter described it to me. But from what I've heard recruiters have a tendancy to not tell the whole truth.

If I go into 0861, is it kind of like being a scout? I go out in a 2-4 man team and give fire coordinates and stuff while trying to remain as hidden as possible. I was also told that this MOS, though on the field, rarely gets into any firefights, if ever. Is this true? Is there more that I he didnt tell me about? This isn't a desk job is it? I will be out on the field, doing exactly that?

Let me know and it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Heath

If you're going active duty, you are not likely to get a guaranteed 0861 contract. You will get an 08xx contract and find out which specialty you get at MCT. Most will get 0811 and very few will get 0861 or one of the other specialties.

Your job is not to get into firefights.
    The FO's basic job is to see the target, call for indirect fire, and shift fire for effect. Your most crucial job is to know your exact position on the earth so you can relay the position of the target to others who cannot see the target.

Your training will always be out in the field and will most often work with artillery units. If you get assigned to an ANGLICO unit, you will attach to forward units in small teams.

Do a search on this forum and Ask A Marine. It's been covered before.

Ahh sorry =P Thanks for the answers though ^_^ I think I'll be going in a 03xx then. Artillery doesnt quite strike my personal interest as a spot to work in.

Seoke...
    It is more telling Arty where to shoot versus working directly with them. You are "forward deployed" in the scheme of things sending in intel and adjusting their fire.

Our FO got chances to work with the Flight Control officers, directing Close Air Support and other things to call down the wrath on the enemy.

Thread Information