Questions about Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about Boot Camp

I really don't know where to start, so I'll just throw it out there. Every post that I've read about boot camp says it was the greatest thing in your life (or one of the best). I'm planning to enlist, but I want to get a handle on what to expect in boot to help me prepare mentally and physicially. I've been on the Marine website several times, but it really doesn't tell you how to prepare or what to expect. I've looked through hundreds of threads and found lots of do not do under any circumstances. (like call your rifle a gun) Is there anything more I should know before I go to boot? Thanks for serving, May God bless our Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome to the site. I am sure that you will get all the answers you want if you search and read the poolee hall threads. But to address one of your concerns, there is no preparing , mentally, for Boot Camp! Oh you can get yourself physically prepared for it but there is no way to train, or pre-train, your mind for what you will encounter at either MCRD! Boot Camp is an experience that can only be experienced personally, not told about. Everyone remembers and tolorates it in a different way. We Marines can not tell you what to expect, as you will not perceive the encounter like the person standing next to you on those yellow footprints! It is the most demanding thing you will have ever done! That time in your life will become a part of you, and what you are, for the rest of your life! When, and if, you leave the depot you will understand why we are the elite, the best, the Few (if you will), why we are the strongest brotherhood in the world!

My advice-----do what you're told, when you're told, where you're told, how you're told, and who to do it to! Never quit, never ask why, and never volunteer for anything! Learn to sound off loud, and eat fast. Pay attention in all phases of training, stay awake in class, take good notes, and pay attention to your PMI at the Range.

The Corps is not for everyone! That's why we are the Marine Corps! We don't promise you a rose garden, we promise (if you have what it takes) to make you one of us!

Again welcome to the site, feel free to ask any questions, join in on the Sunday and mid week chats. There is a ton of information there, free for the asking!

Andy,

My advice to you is to find someone in your home town that was a Marine. Sit down and talk to them. You will find out more information, faster, than by typing questions in a forum such as this. I have read your profile, so I know you are from Medford Wisconsin. I happen to know that your police school liaison officer was a Marine. You can also get a hold of me at the Sheriff's Department if you would like to sit down and talk for awhile.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You cannot prepare for Marine Corps boot camp as Cpl Blaylock stated. You can prepare for the physical aspect by PT'ing to ace the IST. But NO one can prepare for the mental rigors and aspects of boot camp. Even though the Marine Corps is not a Marine Corps of ONE. What one recruit is doing in boot camp and his experience could and would be totally different from the recruit standing next to him on line or the drill grinder. One recruit may also ace the written portion and another would max the physical. There is no answer for your question that is going to suit one recruit or Marine. Each war,lullaby and horror story will be different.

Patriot, it's not a good idea to make double posts. Not good forum etiquette.

I really hate when people feel the need to post the same question in both forums. I guess they figure we aren't smart enough to know it is there two times.

I don't intend anything like that. Marines are the ones that keep this country strong. I have tremendous respect for you and all your other brothers. I just want to soak up as much info as possible before I enlist. If I offended any Marines, I am extremely sorry.

What's up, fellow Patriot screen name holder. How coincidental. You even have the same name as my boyfriend.
    Anyway, everything all the other Marines have told you so far is completely true. You'll experience boot in your own way. The advice here can help you as far as the practical stuff goes, but the feelings and experiences you have will be unique to you.

You didn't offend anyone. But, you can post in either forum and we will all see it. If you want poolees to weight in, post in the other forum. If you only want Marines to answer- post here. We read both places- I promise.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All Poolees ask is there anything to prepare for the things that happen in Boot Camp, meaning the yelling and in your face attitudes of the DIs when something happens. There is noway to prepare for that stress of the time and place of it. Everything that happens is differant, every incident is differant and the games are differant that the DIs play on you is differant. At any given moment something will happen that is differant and is handle differant by each DI. So there is noway to prepare what will take place, that is what is fun about becoming a United States Marine. The stories you get to tell of your Boot Camp games that were played on you. These are what we all get to tell each other about what happen to each of us when we went through Boot Camp and earned our Title Marine. It is the head games, stress, heat of the moment and just doing it that what we all went through to become Marines. It is hard and it is supposed to be hard, or as the saying goes then everyone would be Marines. If you have what it takes, you just got to go do it and earn the Title United States Marine like the rest of us did. It is earned never given, so that is up to you to decide.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's funny looking back on it but, at the time, it was the most horrible thing I had ever experienced! It's something you can't prepare for.

Let Me Tell You , I Went P. I, In 1977 Nothing Can Prepare You For Marine Corps Boot Camp, And Mean Nothing. Ethier You Cowboy Up Or Your Gone. I Know Things Have Changed Since I Was There But Prepare Your Body And Your Mind. The Seals Have A Hell Week We Have 13 Of Em. Thats Why We Are The Best...good Luck. Ooh-rah..

physically boot camp wasnt hard at all in my oppinion, they **** with your head alot though. Just remember when things are getting crazy, and they will, every single part is planned out its like a game. Biggest thing is dont show up with an attitude and dont try to be top dog but dont act like a ***** ither. And remember the fleet is completely diffrent than bootcamp, they tell you the fleet is even harder to try and scare you, im a grunt man we work hard but usually when were not in the field were off at 1600 every night, and we get 96's like every other weekend.

Cool The Gunny said:

I will tell you this. If you want to make it under the radar: Don't be first and don't be last, give 100%, listen always and talk seldom. Your PMI will steer you right at the range.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    im a grunt man we work hard but usually when were not in the field were off at 1600 every night, and we get 96's like every other weekend.
    If it wasn't field day or an event was going on, yes most days if everything was done they got off around 1630. But these 96's like every other weekend are an exaggeration. For your length of service and after SOI and now in the Fleet...you had off for the 232nd Marine Corps Birthday,Veterans Day.....then Thanksgiving,Christmas & New Years if your aren't on leave or duty. You get a 96 or 72 for most Federal holidays. It just seems that way because your length of service....this ain't the norm. Granted grunts work hard then party hard...but like every other weekend......a 96......wrong.

Thread Information