Recon Training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recon Training

Recon Training

I'm supposed to go down to sign my DEP contract next weekend. I'm prior service Army Reserves. I was wondering if theres any way to sign up as recon right away? If not I'm going to go infantry. Could anyone let me know if this is possible? If it is I'm going to try and push for it at MEPs.

Also, should I push for a bonus while I'm at MEPs? If I dont get one right away, since I"m going DEP and have time before I graduate, should I just not sign my contract and keep trying until I can get one? I'm more then willing to take the time to go down there multiple times I suppose.

Thanks in advance for the answers,
    Heath

You can sign an 0321 contract that will guarantee you a shot at recon. But, if you don't pass the indoc or aren't selected for whatever reason you would be an infantryman of some sort. Honestly, if you don't want to be an infantryman I can't see wanting to be recon. But that's up to you and the recon guys.

Whether you're eligible for any bonus or not will depend on many factors. I got a bonus, but that wasn't settled until I was about to ship.

So if I dont make it in recon school I can still be an infantry man? I wont get discharged from the marines they'll just send me to SOI?

Also whats an indoc? Where can I get more information on becoming recon?

My main goal is to become a scout sniper, would being recon help me achieve this or should I just go 0311 and try to get into scout sniper school like that?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just out of curiosity your age on the profile is 19. And your prior Army reserves. How long was your Army contract?

Do a search in the Poolee forum. Your question has been asked over and over again.

I joined when I was 19 and got an uncharacterized discharge for not finishing highschool on time =/ The marines are giving me my second chance though after the Army screwed me over =/

The Army didn't screw you over. They didn't force you to graduate late.

Anyway, being a recon guy and a sniper aren't same/same. If you'll do a search you'll see many young men come here talking about wanting to be one or the other. However, there aren't just a ton of openings for these people. If you want to be a sniper, then be an infantryman and try your best to get there.

I misread what you said and thought you said you didn't want to be infantry. Sorry about that. You can sign up under the 0321 option and try out. If you don't make it you're not going to get discharged, they will just rotate you back. The vast majority of people that try don't make it. Accord posted about when he took the indoc- if I remember correctly only a couple of people passed.

I smell pooh

I think Phantom got him somethings wrong here.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    I think Phantom got him somethings wrong here.
    Been busy, so it seems.

Army screwed him. Nah!!

Sorry, but I agree with the Wook & Bloop, a bit of barnyard aroma is emanating from this post.

Quick question - Do you get more nookie if you tell the lovlies that you are fixing to sign up for recon or sniper?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    We had someone else come in here a few months ago with the same answer.

All branches of service give 5 discharges

The five types of discharge are as follows:

1.Honorable

2.General (under honorable conditions)

3.Other than honorable

4.Bad conduct

5.Dishonorable

So what is an uncharacterized discharge?

Sounds like a fraud relent enlist to me for not disclosing information.

Can I ask you this? How strong a swimmer are you? What is your PT level? In both, you should be superior not just above average. At indoc, you will bwe comparred to the best of the best. Think of that.

I personally don't like the direct path to Recon. If a Marine can't prove himself as an Infantryman, he won't make a good Recon Marine.

Anyway, whatever you do, do your best and good luck.

S/F
    Finger

Alright I'm flying out to San Jose Thursday to sign my contract as an infantryman. And yes I had an uncharacterized discharge so obviously you don't know a whole lot about the services discharges =/ I got an uncharacterized one because I was a DEP that never got shipped to AIT due to my recruiter not notifying me of my ship date (Yes he got in deep crap for that one =/)

So before all of you start flaming a post why don't you take into consideration that I might actually be trying to enlist to help serve my country and you're not making me want to anymore. Seriously I thought this forum was supposed to HELP a recruit, not get all ****y with him just because he asked about what routes he would take to becoming an elite soldier. Didn't know that question would upset so many of you guys =/

Seoke,

That is way I asked you the questions I did. I would hate for you or any other to think they were going to Recon and find out they may not be able to.

If any Poolie out there is considering this Recon contract thing, I would recomend you don't ship til you are a flaming stud and can swim like a shark.

Just a little experience here with going through and conducting indocs.

Good luck to you,
    S/F
    Finger

Quote Originally Posted by Seoke
    Alright I'm flying out to San Jose Thursday to sign my contract as an infantryman. And yes I had an uncharacterized discharge so obviously you don't know a whole lot about the services discharges =/ I got an uncharacterized one because I was a DEP that never got shipped to AIT due to my recruiter not notifying me of my ship date (Yes he got in deep crap for that one =/)

So before all of you start flaming a post why don't you take into consideration that I might actually be trying to enlist to help serve my country and you're not making me want to anymore. Seriously I thought this forum was supposed to HELP a recruit, not get all ****y with him just because he asked about what routes he would take to becoming an elite soldier. Didn't know that question would upset so many of you guys =/
    Quit your crying, you're not in the army anymore. If anything anyone says to you on this site convinces you not to join, you didn't want it bad enough and we've done our job to weed out all non-hackers.
    If you have any more complaints, dial 1-800-WAAAAAA.

No, it didnt convince me not to join =/ Just not to expect decent answers from you guys instead of *****ing about how another recruit wants to be in recon =/ You guys act like nobody ever makes it in, and definately noone that ever makes it to this forum could. Its really quite annoying that you refuse to help anyone out that wants to be one, and has the potential to be. Kind of surprising really

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    So before all of you start flaming a post why don't you take into consideration that I might actually be trying to enlist to help serve my country and you're not making me want to anymore.
    You can call the discharge what you want! It has to be classified as one of the five above,or a medical.

And Seoke, this forum is to help! However I could give a real rats azz whether you enlist or stay home.

Every kid that wants to a Marine comes here and wants to be Recon or a Sniper. Nothing wrong with that...but search the Poolee Forum and do a search before you ask questions.

If you had the potential....you would have fulfilled your Army contract...then joined the Marine Corps!

Thread Information