After graduation traveling
Create Post

After graduation traveling

Sorry, I don't mean to be dumb but my mother was wondering and I thought I'd try and find an answer.

After graduation of boot camp, do I have to buy my own plane ticket back home or do they provide us one? Or what happens?

If you have means of travel, such as traveling by car with your family, then you won't have to get anything. But if you don't plan on leaving with your family, then you'll have to buy your own plane or bus ticket.

looks like ill be buying a plane ticket, thanks for the response! :]

Save all reciepts, you will be reimbursed!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by drwilkinson
    Sorry, I don't mean to be dumb but my mother was wondering and I thought I'd try and find an answer.

After graduation of boot camp, do I have to buy my own plane ticket back home or do they provide us one? Or what happens?
    Look, if it'll do you any good, I'll get you as far a Wyoming.

Snow, fireplace and brandy.

With those 3 things, and after talking it over, we should be able to get you back to Texas a few days later, depending on the weather.

Reimbursed for boot leave? The Marine Corps is only responsible for paying for you to get from boot camp to MCT/SOI. The trip home should be on your own dime.

You're reimburse for it. The trip home is mandatory. They don't allow you to not take leave. My D.I.s told us we would only be reimbursed for up to 90 dollars, they were wrong.

I have been reimbursed for all travel I've done in the Marine Corps, and I didn't save a single receipt! I was even reimbursed for a plane ticket and cab ride when I flew out to Cleveland after MOS school to buy a car. Then I, my wife, and son were paid for travelling in that car here to KC, MO.

Of course I just happen to work in pay, so...

That is pretty awesome I guess. I'm torn, but this isn't the place for that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by BR03Hopeful
    You're reimburse for it. The trip home is mandatory. They don't allow you to not take leave. My D.I.s told us we would only be reimbursed for up to 90 dollars, they were wrong.

I have been reimbursed for all travel I've done in the Marine Corps, and I didn't save a single receipt! I was even reimbursed for a plane ticket and cab ride when I flew out to Cleveland after MOS school to buy a car. Then I, my wife, and son were paid for travelling in that car here to KC, MO.

Of course I just happen to work in pay, so...
    Who do I need to see to have it reimbursed?

Unfortunately you're probably going to have to have admin do it when you check into your first permanent duty station.

Sending new Marines home after boot is a PR thing. They're like walking, talking, recruiting posters. (except they're marching/barking).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unless things have changed a lot (new Marines will know for sure) during the last few days on the Depot, all travel arrangements are made. Any tickets needed are bought and paid for there in the travel office on the Depot! If you are going home then to SOI/MCT, then your ticket will be from the Depot to your home, then from home to SOI/MCT. If you have to pay for it, it will be debited from your account right then! You will get all of this when you get your orders at MCRD! When you arrive at your destination, you will fill out a travel voucher and turn it in when you check in. They will Pay you for anything, not already covered, that is authorized. This is usually done within the first couple of days after you arrive at your destination. If you are due any pay, or any other allowances, you will be given that at that time as well!

You have nothing to worry about, the Corps will see to it that your get home and to your next duty station! Generally, the Corps pays for your trip, if on orders, not if you are going home for the week end! If you are on change of duty status (which you will be), they will assure that you have the means to get there, then if you are late, it's your own fault!

I hope some of the newer Marines will clarify this for you better than maybe I have. I have been out a long time, but I have a lot of friends that are still active duty!

Just my 2 cents and HO!

Dave

Thread Information