What is the process of looking over educational background at MEPS
Create Post

What is the process of looking over educational background at MEPS

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could answer a question regarding MEPS.
    When you go to MEPS do you need to take your actual dilpoma along? and if you need to get moral waivers does it go along with your packet when they send it out to the proper command level? I read that all documents sent will not be returned and i would hate to have to send my diploma out and lose it for good. What is the process involving background checks for education, my recruiter told me they have someone specific who looks over diplomas, how do they do that?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I went in in 73 so it may have changed. I graduated school and a week later I was gone. But the recruiter I had took all my paperwork H.S. diploma,birth certificate et. and made copies,then stamped them certified true copies and someone in the R.S. initialed them and the originals were returned. As I stated that was almost thirty five years ago so the policy may have changed. The Marine Corps doesn't usally loose paperwork unless you PO some Remington Raider or disbursing clerk!

I gave all of the documents to the recruiter, not the people at MEPS. He made copies and returned the originals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gum07
    Hello, i was wondering if anyone could answer a question regarding MEPS.
    When you go to MEPS do you need to take your actual dilpoma along? and if you need to get moral waivers does it go along with your packet when they send it out to the proper command level? I read that all documents sent will not be returned and i would hate to have to send my diploma out and lose it for good. What is the process involving background checks for education, my recruiter told me they have someone specific who looks over diplomas, how do they do that?
    I just finished recruiting duty and yes u need ur actual diploma or certified education verification ( a recruiter should have that) thats a document to take to the counslers to fill out and they dont do education background checks cause ur dipolma covers that and moral background checks include ANY misdemeanors or felonys weather they said they dropped them off ur record or police said it wont show( trust me ANY misdemeanors and felonys will show. and once u sign ur contract at MEPS you will get ur documents back!

Thanks for the helpful info guys! I was worried that when i go to MEPS that my diploma would be sent out when they forward my packet for waivers. No worries i dont plan on leaving anything out. Ive already gotten all of my 370's and written statements done and am planning on taking it all in to my recruiter today to get a set date to go to MEPS, but now i have another question. When i go to MEPS my packet will have to go to MEPSCOM because i had a felony as a juvenile. If a waiver is approved at MEPSCOM is that the end of the waiver line or does it need to go through Marine Corps approval somewhere yet to?

It's not going to "MEPSCOM" it's going to Headquarters Marinecorps
    we never send "waviers" to mepscom, it's a Recruiting Region wavier and that could take awhile to come back approved or disapproved sometimes ive seen almost a month. Good Luck with that

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum07
    Thanks for the helpful info guys! I was worried that when i go to MEPS that my diploma would be sent out when they forward my packet for waivers. No worries i dont plan on leaving anything out. Ive already gotten all of my 370's and written statements done and am planning on taking it all in to my recruiter today to get a set date to go to MEPS, but now i have another question. When i go to MEPS my packet will have to go to MEPSCOM because i had a felony as a juvenile. If a waiver is approved at MEPSCOM is that the end of the waiver line or does it need to go through Marine Corps approval somewhere yet to?
    You are 28, you had a felony as a juvenile, you appear worried that someone will see the felony - Why are you trying to join the Marines?

Im not worried someone will see the felony ive alread disclosed everything and ive been totally honest and upfront about it all. If i wasnt disclosing this why would i have been filling out 370's and written statements? I only want to know what the next step is really. My recruiter said today that once I bring my medical release forms and my diploma that she will call to see if I can go up to MEPS. I dont know if she means before waiver approval or what, and im just ready to push forward. I am planning to take this stuff in to her in a few days. Why am i trying to join the Marine Corps? I respect the **** out of you guys and I have always wanted to join, but I had a few setbacks in my life. In 1999 I was going to but my daughter was born and life on the homefront with her mother wasnt good at the time. Ive gotten my life to a place where i am physically, mentally, and emotionally set. My father and brother are former Marines and my best friend is a current Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps at the moment. Ive been being what you guys refer to as a professional pest, showing determination and perserverance. Ive already gone through alot of hard work just getting all of this paperwork together, but I refuse to give up until I get definite no from whomever approves/disapproves waivers. I could sit here and give you 1000's of reasons why i want the opprotunity to join the Marine Corps but Ive already had to write that written statement lol. No one wants this as bad as I do. I want to serve my country with the BADDEST M'fers in all of the armed forces of the world. I want 0311 and am more than willing to do whatever it takes to get there. I know that I have should not have waited until I was almost too old to join and that its now or never. I know i will have kids almost 10 years my junior giving me orders and such and I am totally fine with that. They earned their title and I will gladly earn mine given the opprotunity. I am in excellent shape for my age, and I do PT every morning and run every other day. Please dont think I am some punk just trying to join your beloved Corps, I want this too bad to be put in that category.

Thread Information