Marine buddies.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine buddies.

Marine buddies.

This is kind of a stupid question, but in the Marine Corps, is everyone all buddy-buddy because of similar aspirations, goals, past, and whatnot- or is it like high-school where people are in their little groups and you only get along with one quarter of the Soldiers?

I am picturing it as everyone gets along with everyone, but to me that seems unrealistic. If someone could entertain my question, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Tim

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyMAG
    This is kind of a stupid question, but in the Marine Corps, is everyone all buddy-buddy because of similar aspirations, goals, past, and whatnot- or is it like high-school where people are in their little groups and you only get along with one quarter of the Soldiers?

I am picturing it as everyone gets along with everyone, but to me that seems unrealistic. If someone could entertain my question, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Tim
    Sure, we get along with all them soldiers.

Corpsman Up!! Meds!! Meds!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BIG AL,SAID IT BEST ROOKIE!!! OFTEN TESTED~ALWAYS FAITHFUL~BROTHERS FOREVER WE DON'T LEAVE OUR OWN BEHIND

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "...only get along with one quarter of the Soldiers?"

Smooth move, slick. You just p*ssed off BigAl. And a bunch of other Marines too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Soldier? Don't know any................

If you're talking about what you've seen on this forum so far.............some of us have NEVER met, we served in different times, some of us went to war, some of us didn't, I'm sure NONE of us had the same goals. It's something that was instilled in ALL of us by going through Marine Corps boot camp - we may fight amongst ourselves sometimes but, NOBODY (that's NOT a Marine)can come between ANY of us. Even though I may not personally know any of these men, I would GLADLY take a bullet for one of them if I were to ever be in the middle of a war/bar fight (yes, been through a FEW of them in my time)/whatever. I know I can trust them and they know they can trust me to make sure we both don't get killed. It's something you'll know and understand when and IF you become one of us.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    BAND OF BROTHERS

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'

Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words

Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Amen.

Credits
    Savings

Jack, Chris & Kim said it best, followed up by a nice poem by Chuck.

TobyMAG, do you understand?

Maybe, big maybe, someday you will!!

Personally, I wouldn't want to **** off any one of these Marines. Why, because they are tough? Nope, because they are my Brothers.

This goes for all the young pups out there. **** off one, you **** off all. Disrespect one, you disrespect all.

Simple as that.

Credits
    Savings
    Marine84 hit the nail on the head. Nothing more to add.

FYI.... refrain from the term soldier here. We don't know any of them.

I will just add that when Marines decide to fight- get the hell out of the way if you aren't involved- because someone will involve you. If someone that isn't a Marine happens to be in the area- expect the Marines to decide to stop fighting each other and fight with the Soldier/Sailor/Airman instead.

Sorry I didn't mean to get anyone worked up or anything. I didn't nor do I totally understand what is wrong with the word 'soldier' but I'll be sure to keep that word out of any of my future comments. I assume it is thought to be a reference to Army, I don't know though.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks,
    -Tim
    Well, the Maring Corps isn't high school, and Marines aren't 'Soldiers'.

Naturally, there will be some Marines who you like more than others, and there will probably be some Marines whose personalities you will find difficult to accept.

But when bullets are flying all around you, and things are blowing up all over the place, and you are in a WORLD OF SH-T, which is what war is, and you see this Marine you went through boot camp (which is actually a sort of mini-simulation of warfare) with, and you never really liked him very much, and figured he was pretty much an a$$hole, but now he is bleeding like crazy, and needs your help, or he is going to be very, very dead, very very soon...

What are you going to do?

If you are a Marine, you will do what you were trained to do, in boot camp, and schools, and all of your subsequent training... you will act as a True Cog in the Great Green Machine... and you will do so without even thinking.

No-one gets through Boot Camp on their own. Boot Camp is designed to be IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to graduate from, as an unaided individual. The only way one gets through Boot Camp, is as a 'Member of a Team'.

After Boot Camp, the same 'team' lesson continues to be taught, over and over again, and reinforced, until it becomes part of one's personality.

It's not that Marines are 'better' human beings or anything (although we usually like to think so ) ...it's the training, and the lesson lasts a lifetime, and does not only function where other Marines are concerned, or on the field of battle, which is why a lot of Marines wind up doing extraordinary 'go get him' stuff long after their active duty days are past.

Any Marine who has been on the field of battle, and been a part of a 'let's go get him/her' stunt, and lived to reflect on it, knows full well that they are not heros, and that what they did was pretty much done on the spur of the moment, without a great deal of thought, what the personal consequences (death) might be.

It's the training... Marines are trained to act and survive as a unit... not as individuals, and that training is their great strength. They are trained in ways that supersede Reason, and their own personal instinct for individual survival, and the end result is, that their overall survival rate on the field of battle is significantly better than is the case for individuals who were not so trained, and who enter into combat with an 'individual' mindset, as opposed to a 'team' mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Soldier? Don't know any................

If you're talking about what you've seen on this forum so far.............some of us have NEVER met, we served in different times, some of us went to war, some of us didn't, I'm sure NONE of us had the same goals. It's something that was instilled in ALL of us by going through Marine Corps boot camp - we may fight amongst ourselves sometimes but, NOBODY (that's NOT a Marine)can come between ANY of us. Even though I may not personally know any of these men, I would GLADLY take a bullet for one of them if I were to ever be in the middle of a war/bar fight (yes, been through a FEW of them in my time)/whatever. I know I can trust them and they know they can trust me to make sure we both don't get killed. It's something you'll know and understand when and IF you become one of us.
    YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I didn't nor do I totally understand what is wrong with the word 'soldier' but I'll be sure to keep that word out of any of my future comments.
    Yet another thing you don't understand if you aren't one of us. It's nothing personal................it's just because MARINES aren't soldiers. I'm sure the other branches do just as good a job BUT they don't look NEARLY as good as we do doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Yet another thing you don't understand if you aren't one of us. It's nothing personal................it's just because MARINES aren't soldiers. I'm sure the other branches do just as good a job BUT they don't look NEARLY as good as we do doing it.
    Heh! That's a fact!

Thread Information