Did any Poolees here get the GI Bill kicker ("Marine Corps College Fund") ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Did any Poolees here get the GI Bill kicker ("Marine Corps College Fund") ?

My friend who's a Reservist has it (he enlisted a year ago though).

Is this still available, or did they get rid of it as part of the NEW post-9/11 GI Bill?

And, if still available... is it listed somewhere in our contract?

My recruiter told me I was eligible for it if I chose to finish up with the Marine Corps after my 4 years.

The GI Bill will be discussed and taken care of in boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    The GI Bill will be discussed and taken care of in boot camp.
    I understand that, Cpl.

The College Fund ("kicker") needs to be in your contract before you leave to obtain it though. This is why im inquiring about it to see whether or not the Corps did get rid of this as part of the NEW GI Bill (like I have heard a recruiter mention).

BR34...

Spoke to my recruiter and he coincidently did mention that the GI Bill does get taken care of in bootcamp.

BUT, he mentioned something about that the Marine Corps college fund isnt available anymore because of the New GI Bill? (something im still trying to figure out if so).

also, after searching online... it IS supposed to be listed in your initial contract upon enlistment.

I keep scratching my head... just wanna get this cleared up. thanks for the GI Bill/bootcamp info, BR34!

Tolerance,

What is it and is it only for reservists?

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Tolerance,

From what Ive read (I'm signing reserve) the kicker is only for reserves. Its basically $350 a month for 36 months along with your 11k GI Bill (Active gets bigger GI Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Tolerance,

an extra $350 (a "kicker") added to your GI Bill income each month

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorDog View Post
    From what Ive read (I'm signing reserve) the kicker is only for reserves. Its basically $350 a month for 36 months along with your 11k GI Bill (Active gets bigger GI Bill)
    hmm... maybe it might be for Reservists? not sure; haven't read anything about it.

ask your recruiter and let us know?

Credits
    Savings
    Y'all need to quit talking sh!t and listen. I JUST got the GI Bill brief from the VA and it all goes away Aug1. Those of us who paid our $1200 will have the chance to pick new or old. Those who bought into the kicker lose out. And as the Cpl said, it will be covered in boot camp. I swear y'all are good people, just need to settle down a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    Y'all need to quit talking sh!t and listen. I JUST got the GI Bill brief from the VA and it all goes away Aug1. Those of us who paid our $1200 will have the chance to pick new or old. Those who bought into the kicker lose out. And as the Cpl said, it will be covered in boot camp. I swear y'all are good people, just need to settle down a bit..
    PaidinBlood coming in for the save

thanks for the confirmation!

My roommate shipped in January and received what I believe was called option C, or the largest kicker available. He went into the Navy. I however, was told I am ineligible because i signed up in the Marine Corps reserve infantry, which is not a critical mos.

I graduated from boot Jan 16 this year, and it was dealt with at bootcamp. There are differences between the old an d new GI bills and also between active/reserve GI bills... but it is all explained at bootcamp.

Tolerance, I think you may be mixing up the GI Bill and the Marine Corp College Fund.
    They are too different things. Just think of the Marine Corp College Fund as a signing bonus, I got offerd 50,000$ Marine Core College Fund for me to leave early, in addition to the GI Bill that everybody gets.

"The Marine Corps College Fund

If you complete an active duty contract of at least 48 months, you may become eligible for the Marine Corps College Fund. In combination with the Montgomery GI Bill, it provides almost all of the funding necessary for your college education. Recipients of the fund can get up to $50,000 for college "

I got that from *************, here is the link. There is a bunch of good stuff on education progams the Marines offer.
    http://www.*************/money-for-s...ation-programs

Quote Originally Posted by ohsdrummer08 View Post
    I graduated from boot Jan 16 this year, and it was dealt with at bootcamp. There are differences between the old an d new GI bills and also between active/reserve GI bills... but it is all explained at bootcamp.

what was exactly explained/dealt with at boot?

from what the "RULES" say, a person needs to get the "College Fund" in their initial enlistment contract in order to obtain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron20080630 View Post
    Tolerance, I think you may be mixing up the GI Bill and the Marine Corp College Fund.
    They are too different things. Just think of the Marine Corp College Fund as a signing bonus, I got offerd 50,000$ Marine Core College Fund for me to leave early, in addition to the GI Bill that everybody gets.

"The Marine Corps College Fund

If you complete an active duty contract of at least 48 months, you may become eligible for the Marine Corps College Fund. In combination with the Montgomery GI Bill, it provides almost all of the funding necessary for your college education. Recipients of the fund can get up to $50,000 for college "

I got that from *************, here is the link. There is a bunch of good stuff on education progams the Marines offer.
    http://www.*************/money-for-s...ation-programs

idk why the link didnt show?

Put spaces in that address...so is this only if your recruiters offer this to you? That's ridiculous how some are told of these things and others aren't. It'd be huge for me to get something like that after 4 years of loans at a university.

Hopefully it doesn't have to be in your contract and I can get it down the road.

Thread Information