Enlist vs. Officer
Create Post

Enlist vs. Officer

I'll be graduating with a bachelors in psychology in August and am throwing around the idea of enlisting. I have been considering the Marines for about 3 years but have always imagined going to OCS. I haven't decided on the Marines yet, I may stay in the land of academia for a few more years. In the past few months though, I have started to wonder if enlisting would be a better option for me.

I realize enlisted men get paid far less and are generally treated like dirt for the first few years. I realize quality of life is far better as an officer.

I am a leader but I wonder if I want the full responsibility of an officer. I want to earn my respect rather than being gifted it.

And it seems enlisted men get more.... exciting jobs.

Has anyone else struggled with this decision? Anyone served as both enlisted and then officer?

Btw, I'm sorry if this has been covered. If so, just point me to a thread and delete this one.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Where are you getting your information and statistics that enlisted.....
    are generally treated like dirt for the first few years.
    State your source and let me know....and not your friend or family members opine.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Take this for what its worth from someone who hasnt enlisted yet (its not much but I'm giving you my honest opinion) if you aren't fully 100% sure you dont want the full leadership responsibility, I surely wouldn't want you leading me anywhere, not even to a grocery store. In my mind leadership isn't something you can be 50/50 on, like you want the perks but none of the downsides...Its gotta be something you KNOW you want, or else you won't be able to lead effectively, and sometimes your mens' lives will depend on your decision.

You aren't gifted respect as an officer. People will do what they have to do because of your rank, but that doesn't mean you'll be respected. The Marines at the top and bottom of my list as far as respect were both 1st Lts that served as my platoon commander. It is probably much harder to earn respect as a junior officer than it is as a junior enlisted Marine. As a PFC you're following the orders of others. As a 2nd Lt you're leading an entire platoon. You better be able to prove you have what it takes to lead those Marines, or you'll lose the platoon.

As for the decision- I had planned on being an officer and changed my mind. The jobs are different. I decided that the enlisted side of the house appealed to me more. But, I had no intentions of making the Marine Corps a career. That being the case, it wasn't a big deal. If you plan on staying in for 20 years, being an officer starts to have more of an upside in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimes
    I'll be graduating with a bachelors in psychology in August and am throwing around the idea of enlisting
    Sorry pard, tossing day dreams around doesn't hold water. Now if you were to consider joining the Marines as grabbing the dragon by the tail, i'd say you may be serious about a life changing commitment. Ask any new Marine on these boards how far wishy washy philosophy carries you past the yellow hoof prints
    I have been considering the Marines for about 3 years but have always imagined going to OCS. I haven't decided on the Marines yet...in the past few months though, i have started to wonder if enlisting would be a better option for me
    Are you familiar with achems razor? It's possible you could be good at both but since you 'wonder' about accepting 'full' responsibilty, no need to unnecessarily multiply the equation. Sometimes E-1's shoulder responsibilty that would shatter milquetoast
    I may stay in the land of academia for a few more years.
    so what
    I realize enlisted men get paid far less and are generally treated like dirt for the first few years. I realize quality of life is far better as an officer
    what you realize is theory without practice, mister student.
    I want to earn my respect rather than being gifted it
    Marines are tighter than a misers smile with 'gifts' and the Corps will reluctantly thank everybody who wears the uniform twice a month.
    I am a leader...

--->Dave Mims

I am a leader but
    I love this part,,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, no kidding Wookie.

Grimes, military history (and especially Marine Corps history) is repleat with enlisted men taking over officer positions, along with the full responsibility that comes with the billet.

Privates have led squads, PFCs have led platoons, and sergeants have led companies. During battles such as Iwo Jima, it wasn't unusual. Even now in Iraq and the 'Stan, you read of corporals leading squads and buck sergeants as platoon sergeants.

In Vietnam, during the Tet 1968 Battle of Hue City, A/1/1 was commanded by the company gunnery sergeant on more than one occasion, while the platoons were run by sergeants and corporals nearly through the entire battle. Higher HQ couldn't get enough replacement officers to staff the entire officer compliment. They couldn't even get enough officers to stay in one piece very long as the company commander.

So, not being an officer doesn't mean you won't end up with "full responsibility." In fact, in the Corps, you always have "full responsibility" for at least your own actions. They don't buy the "victim card" bullsh*t. That card is one of the items of contraband they take away at Receiving Barracks.

It is true, unlike most Marines I have not dreamed of being one my entire life. I see the Corps as one of a few life changing paths that I must decide between.

I am sorry if I insulted a few of you, which seems to be the case.

I am just trying to get all the information and opinions I can to make the correct decision. I'd really like to hear from someone who has served as both Officer and Enlistee, if thats possible.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You haven't pizzed me off..........yet! And you could never insult me. I just want to know the answer to the above statement that you posed.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    I love this part,,
    Haha, you're funny.

You guys reminded me of something. I remember a quote that was something like the following, that was suppose to come from an old Officer’s Manual.

“Enlisted men are basically uneducated and stupid, but are very sly, cunning and bear close watching.”

S/F
    Finger

I am sorry if I insulted a few of you,
    dont flatter yourself quiff, and never apologize!

The job's are different... the title is the same. The choice on whether to enlist or go to OCS should be one based simply off what you want out of the experience. Keep this in mind: The Corps has much more forgiveness for a Pvt or PFC who has a slow learning curve. Lieutenants aren't given much slack at all.

There might be more to say, but you should see a recruiter or an Officer Selection Officer. Certain tests and screenings need to be competed to make sure you're eligible for either path. If you've already done them... good job. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Thread Information