Need help deciding...
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need help deciding...

So basically, I've been wanting to be a marine since the age of 13 or so. That part, I don't need any help on deciding.

What I'm trying to figure out, is if I want to deploy asap, as to start off my life in the right direction, or if I want to wait to see if the next president elected will pull troops out of Iraq.

For me, I'd be happy either way, but I'd lose a bit of respect from my peers and family if I joined a war I wasn't completely for. Which got me thinking, should I really join NOW, while we have troops still going to Iraq? Or like I said, wait to see if something changes in the next presidential election?

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for you time.

Quote Originally Posted by APagz88
    So basically, I've been wanting to be a marine since the age of 13 or so. That part, I don't need any help on deciding.

What I'm trying to figure out, is if I want to deploy asap, as to start off my life in the right direction, or if I want to wait to see if the next president elected will pull troops out of Iraq.

For me, I'd be happy either way, but I'd lose a bit of respect from my peers and family if I joined a war I wasn't completely for. Which got me thinking, should I really join NOW, while we have troops still going to Iraq? Or like I said, wait to see if something changes in the next presidential election?

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for you time.
    Choice is yours, but keep in mind a warrior doesn't have the luxury of politics...while you may have a political leaning....it doesn't mean a thing.

We are here to defend democracy....not practice it! Keep in mind the political landscape always changes and if you make a decison or a career path based on that, you are going to find yourself adjusting your job and your "tack" quite a bit.

Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    That was well put Leonard. Thank you for the reply.

The next President of the United States may pull out of Iraq, just for something else to happen and commit the Armed Forces of the United States elsewhere. You never know what could happen. I personally wan't to be deployed. I know my country and the Corps need me so I am willing to go and do what needs to be done wherever they choose to send me. As the Cpl said warriors don't have the luxury to decide they don't want to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DGardner
    The next President of the United States may pull out of Iraq, just for something else to happen and commit the Armed Forces of the United States elsewhere. You never know what could happen. I personally wan't to be deployed. I know my country and the Corps need me so I am willing to go and do what needs to be done wherever they choose to send me. As the Cpl said warriors don't have the luxury to decide they don't want to go somewhere.
    im with you there! we'll get deployed though, dont worry about that.

whats your MOS?

03XX - Going for 0311 Straight up Grunt!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by APagz88
    For me, I'd be happy either way, but I'd lose a bit of respect from my peers and family if I joined a war I wasn't completely for.
    You MUST be kidding! What do you think the military does anyway? Doesn't matter what you're "for" - you would be one of the first ones to yell CO if something came up that you're not "for". Don't go in the Corps!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you don't like this war,,,, Maybe you should wait for one you can enjoy.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Sparkie...you beat me to it! Theres more wars on the horizon...just wait!

NO war has ever been PC for everyone.A Marine has NO say, he just fights others battles and ultimately makes them his own.

Hang in there another wars coming! You may like that one!

Credits
    Savings
    But like I said, I'd lose a bit of respect from peers, not myself. Me? I think I may have just been born a fighter, war or no war, marines are definitely my cup of tea. I just wanted to hear some opinions.

The way I was thinking, once I become a true marine, I'll be "for" any war. My logic? Any war killing one of my brothers is a personal blow to me, that I can fight for like hell. Amirite?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You're talking out of both sides of your neck. The choice is yours child - what difference would it make if you DO lose respect from your peers? Your peers sound STUPID if they aren't supporting the men and women who ARE in Iraq now - seems to me they should respect you MORE because you would be willing to do something that THEY don't have the balls to do.

First off, Marine is always CAPITALIZED!!

Second off, who gives a sh*t what your parents or peers think. Name the last war that was PC and everyone agreed with. If your that worried about going to war, any war, then maybe the Marine Corps is not for you.

Credits
    Savings
    I was never worried about going to war in the least, just gathering opinions from you guys, because like I said, couple of my buddies are trying to persuade me. Not necessarily to NOT go, but to wait. I'm not a man of waiting. So I needed some material to prove em wrong with. Why bother losing respect and going to war when you can gain respect before you leave, y'know?

War and military conflict is not for the faint of heart. I don't know, I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like there is a part of you that is scared to join in a way, and you are trying to find some reason not to join and possibly get deployed, like some loophole clause. Who the bloody hell likes war? I always wanted to join the Corps ever since I was 8, at least. I may or may not personally agree with a war, but I'll be damned if I'm going to lay idly by while my fellow countrymen and women are sacrificing everything. There is a time for talk, and a time for action, and as they say - actions speak louder than words.

Credits
    Savings
    Well lemme put it this way. If everybody I knew was in agreeance with the war I wouldn't be here, but I've always been the guy that's treated his friends with utmost respect, so I was trying to see how I could go about the situation without losing any.

The thing about forums is my original intent gets jumbled up so much that people get the wrong idea. It's not even that big of a deal at all, referring to the above statement I had first made, I don't need help on deciding whether or not to join the corps. Already made up my mind. Thanks for all your input though.

Thread Information