Addition to the PFT the CFT - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1161
    Somebody thinking of bringing the old PRT back?
    Sounds like they're bringing something bigger and more practical than the old PRT. A supplimental to the existing PFT.

I understand the biomechanics and physiology of what they're doing. It makes sense to me as it is in the general realm of my research interests in deadly force and the biomechanics of violent confrontation.

If the CRT is added to the existing PFT, it will be harder to become and stay a Marine - as it should be. But it will also be a truer test of combat fitness than just the existing PFT alone.

I leave June 2 of 08, so if it starts in june ill be among the first to do it at RT. It looks freakin awesome. If my recruiter doesnt already know about this, im gonna ask him if we can start running these drills at PT.

That's a damn good idea man - I'm going to do that tomorrow and ask my recruiter that same thing. Granted, I can't make it to the whole RSS poolee PT Mondays and Wednesdays (I go with my recruiter everyday Mon-Fri for two hours if individualised PT with him) because of work, but I want to ask them all about it at the very least to see if they knew about it (I'm sure they do, but just gotta make sure, ya know? LOL), and to see if they might add some stuff to the regular poolee PT sessions they have to introduce others to it. I am supposed to ship in two weeks, but hell, if this is something I can ask about to possibly help my fellow poolees out, then I'll definitely be asking away. Thanks for the idea :-)

Also, how will this affect the scoring system? Will PFT scores exceed 300 now? Also, will there be differences in the minimum scores between males and females as in the grenade throw?

Credits
    Savings
    ZULU36

Are they still doing the PFT in PT gear?
    My though about the PRT was that it was done in Combat gear.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1161
    ZULU36

Are they still doing the PFT in PT gear?
    My though about the PRT was that it was done in Combat gear.
    As far as I know, they do the PFT in PT gear.

I pulled my boot camp platoon book just now to check the photos of us while we did the old PRT. We were in boots and utes, no 782 gear.

That was the last time I ran the PRT. After MOS school I went to Japan and Okinawa briefly and then to Vietnam. After I got back, the PFT, more or less as we know it today, had come into effect.

How are they going to score this? It's all about time?

Question

So from what I've read we will be doing the PFT and the CFT on the same day, which of them comes first. I also am currently on the MSG program, will those Marines be excused until they get back to another command that is better equiped for this?

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Addition to the PFT the CFT

Thanks for sharing the information and outstanding illustrations of the new addition to the Marine PFT.

I have a great deal of continuing interest in this topic, having worked in the fitness profession since March 1980 (about seven months after the end of my four-year enlistment). A few years ago, I co-developed a SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) Fitness School for law enforcement and military personnel. A good portion of the two-day school is the presentation/administration of a job-related fitness test rather than the standard pull-ups/push-ups, sit-ups/crunches and distance run that's so typical of military PFTs. At any rate, the new CFT of the Marine Corps has some strong parallels to the fitness test that we endorse in our fitness school. In case you're wondering, here's the test that we recommend for SWAT (done in this sequence and in FULL GEAR, including ballistic helmet, ballistic vest, utilities and tactical footwear):

1. run 1.0 mi in 12:00 (while carrying an unloaded, assigned shoulder weapon)
    2. sprint 60 yds in 0:15 (while wearing a gas mask and carrying a one-person ram or 45-pound dumbbell to simulate the ram)
    3. low crawl 30 yds in 1:00 (while wearing gas mask)
    4. climb six-ft fence in 0:10
    5. do five pull-ups
    6. do five dips
    7. climb eight flights of stairs (four floors) in 0:30 (while carrying a one-person ram or 45-pound dumbbell to simulate the ram)
    8. move heaviest team member 20 yds in 0:40

Remember, all of the above are done in FULL GEAR. The new CFT makes much sense and is infinitely more job-related than the existing PFT. The only things that I'd question are . . .

1. throwing a one-lb medicine ball to simulate a grenade. I'd suggest simply throwing an inert grenade. That'll have a better feel to - and be of the exact weight of - a real frag than a med ball.

2. running two separate tests of "maneuver under fire," one with straight-ahead running and the other with diagonal running. I think it would be more time efficient to combine the two.

3. pairing Marines by size for the casualty carry. The bottom line here is that you can't pick the size of the guy who you might have to rescue. In the CFT, everyone should be required to carry the HEAVIEST Marine, not a Marine who weighs within 10 pounds of you.

I'd also like to see some type of task included that's done while wearing a gas mask. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good test. I'd be curious to see how long it takes to administer as well as hear the passing criteria (times). You probably have to throw in some rules, too, about knocking over cones (do you get time added to your effort, do you have to return the cone to an upright position and so on).

Anyway, just my two cents. Great thread. Again, thanks for the intel!

Matt Brzycki
    Sgt (1975-79)

Well, I will be one of the first ones to start this new CFT stuff in June... so I will definately have to report back an tell everyone how things are going on in sept of next yr.

Wait from what i heard you have to run both cft and pft. In the same day.

Wow...what more sh*t can the Marine Corps think of.

Correct. Same day.

I guess, Outlaw, it's a way to test for 'combat fitness' instead of 'pft ability', or, perhaps, in conjunction with it.

I know this much...my sorry old azz couldn't likely do this stuff..which is why I'm in the Air Guard and NOT the USMCR now LOL.

"Man's got to know his limitations...."

It actually tests stuff we would do in combat. I'll reserve an opinion untill i have done it.

I believe this is a really important topic so I'm bumping it up! Us little poolees that ship in june and around june need to look at this. We will be the first guys to run this dude! which personally it don't really intimidate me. Looks fairly easy to me...might be a different story when I start doing it. So for some of you new poolees of this site that havent seen this I figured you guys would like to look over this and check out the new addition to the PFT that starts in june!

Thread Information