New PFT?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PFT?

Thumbs up New PFT?

My recruiter was saying something about the PFT being revised to be harder. I heard it is rumored that there will be a ruck run, and timed O-course. Does anyone know anything about this? I will ask for some more info at PT tomorrow, but regardless thought I would sure.

I love how as all the other services make it easier the Marines make it harder.

Mike

Hmm, didn't hear about that one. I just ran one yesterday and it was the standard pullups, crunches, 3-mile run (i got a 250----decent i suppose), and that is what is being used for my application into OCC 197.

Sounds like the recruiter is messing with you. Unless you're thinking about the Royal Marines... those crazy people do all kinds of silly things.

yes there is a new pft...

The old pft (three mile run, max crunch, max pull-up) is being examined by the powers at be. The Commandant had already signed off on it. Supposedly it will be a prerequisite for deployment. i have to run one on Wednesday. What i know about it is:

1 mile boots & utes run max 850 on rough terrain

min of 40 push ups in a minute chest must touch hand flat on deck

min of 10 elbows to knees from a dead hang in one minute you may dismount as needed (25 is perfect)

300 meeter sprint (boots & utes) do not know the time limit
    I have also heard about star jumpers and lunges being a factor.
    REMEMBER every single activity comes after the run so you are already tired.

We got a white letter from the Sgt. Maj. today and none of that was mentioned. However, all the stuff in the other PFT related thread recently posted here was mentioned.

Looks like what you're doing may just be command wide.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BR03Hopeful
    We got a white letter from the Sgt. Maj. today and none of that was mentioned. However, all the stuff in the other PFT related thread recently posted here was mentioned.

Looks like what you're doing may just be command wide.
    Do you have a link to that White Letter by chance?

Negative. I have it on my @usmc.mil address. I'll email it to my yahoo email and PM it to you tomorrow.

I am down here in NAS Pensacola for my school. This Monday we have to run the original PFT. Wednesday we have to run whats called the "PRT." Its suppose to replace the PFT because it is "combat readiness" I ran the PRT yesterday and it really wasn't hard. Eventhough some of the stuff is pointless me personally I like it better than the PFT.

It's not going to replace the pft, it's going to immediately follow the pft.

It's going to be called the "combat fitness test." I was reading something that the CMC send down to all commands yesterday. They have no idea what it is going to consist of yet though.

How long have you been at Pensacola?
    My son is there, got there this Wednesday, Air Traffic Control school. What is the deal with Liberty for the Holidays?
    The PRT sounds like the Corps is heading back to a little "old School". Back in the 70's PT was ran in boots and utes. You had the option of running the PFT in running shoes if you had them, most didn't.

Pointless? I dare say not. If we do this CFT directly after a PFT, it's a better test of ones mettle. A ton of Marines (not all, not half, but a good percent) are completely exhausted after doing a set of pullups, crunches, and a short PFT run. This pushes it a bit farther. I think if they do those one after another, that actually makes for much better training.

I suppose it's also pointless to add your table 2 score into your KD course rifle score (which is now being implemented, FYI). The CFT at least comes a tad bit closer to conditions at which you may find yourself in on a mission (at least you're in boots). The CFT is made to be a test of core strength; that's the CMC's mission with it, in part, to build core strength.

It's good and fine if you can run an 18 minute PFT, do 20 pullups, etc etc, but without fierce core strength, that 18 minute run time won't do **** for you if you're wearing a full combat load.

My 2 cents. Over and out.

As a Marine very opposed to certain powers that be, I have differing views on this new fitness test. A part of me says that it is good to consistenly challenge Marines and to help them realize their full potential. However, another side of me sees it differently. When my vehicle was hit with an IED, let me tell you, there was absolutely no hesitation to rush after those insurgents and we were definitely "combat ready". I run a PFT in the 290s, but when someone tries to outright kill you, your bodily instincts take over and you're ready to go get some!

Yea I've heard that too (which Sgt. experienced)... That its alot easier to run with a 100 lb. pack when your gettin shot at or your ready to rock n roll...which i've not been to war, obviously, but I can believe that.

The MC Times had an article on this, this past week. Also, I saw the briefing slides on it shortly before that.

The gist of it is this:

It will be taken directly after the PFT.

It will be a series of events that are supposed to 'mimic' combat (carrying 2 20 pound ammo cans while sprinting, for example, is one. Another is a firemans carry of your buddy, NOT simulated but actually done..)

It is going to be a quick 'intro' process, but will be 'fleetwide' by June of 2008. The recruit depots will be the some of the first to do it.

It's going to be a timed evolution.

It will be 'pass/fail' at this point.

Thread Information