Sound Off!!! - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Did WestPac 92 on LPH-3 Okinawa. It was the ships last cruise and it was an old piece of crap. it did have a good gym though.

Semper Fi,

Mike

I was in Amtracs. I lived on a ship. The longest was a West Pac from OKI on the USS Shenectady- we called it the skinny tity. Got caught in a typhoon coming out of Hong Cong harbor out in the sea of Japan. The left side prop came off and the left steering paddle also. The bildge pumps quit short of Japan and the Coast Guard had to bring portable pumps. That LST was rolling all over the place. That flat bottom piece of S"t. I was on the Bristol County and the Tarawa. That was a nice one compared to the LST's. 1976 to 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Hulk
    Did WestPac 92 on LPH-3 Okinawa. It was the ships last cruise and it was an old piece of crap. it did have a good gym though.

Semper Fi,

Mike
    Hey Hulk I was on that POS with Charlie Company 1st Bn 4th Marines during that same time. Who were you with? The USS Broken-nawa. BTW She sailed after that however I do think you are right she didn't do any other cruises. The gym sucked on that think and it was right next to the cold storage for dead bodies. Remember those big silver metal containers right outside the gym? Those were there for the bodies. Do you remember the dead Iraqi pilot we brought on board? They stored his butt in those.

Sgtgrunt0311,

I was with Helo squadron on board. I was there NBC NCO. I do remember the mourge by the gym.... thats where we did abs

Semper Fi,

USS Kearsarge, 1997 Med Float Libo was awesome of what I can remember of it.

I never had the 'pleasure' to be aboard ship, but this post reminds me of what my Grandfather (retired Navy, 27 years) told me when I metioned to him that I didnt want to join the Navy becuase I didnt want to be stuck on ships all the time...His reponse was:

Do you know what Marine stands for?

My
    A$$
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by testforecho2112
    Do you know what Marine stands for?

My
    A$$
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment
    Hey I love that one never heard it before

hey Oorah1994,fill Out Your Profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Hulk
    Sgtgrunt0311,

I was with Helo squadron on board. I was there NBC NCO. I do remember the mourge by the gym.... thats where we did abs

Semper Fi,
    Do you remember Sgt. Kilkus? He was one of the Marines killed on the helo's that crashed into each other. Sgt. Kilkus was a good friend of mine. He and I met on the Oki we used to work out together in the old house of pain. He was good Marine.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Did about a week or so can't remember the name of the ship. We took it from okinawa to hong kong where we had libo ,and then from there to the philippines where we embarked and trained nine days in the field.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

USS Plymouth rock LSD Rosy Roads PR to Morehead Beach 30 days 3rd laam Battalion sicker than a dog all i could eat was crackers..

This is in response to the moldy barracks at Bragg issue. As a former Marine and Army Paratrooper. I lived in the Barracks on smoke bomb hill, and was Barracks NCO. The mold is not caused by lack of cleanliness or hygiene. We conducted Field Day/G.I. parties just like I did in the Corps.

The mold is a product of humidity combined with inoperable ventilation and duct systems. It didn't have a quick fix. After several attempts we were moved to different Barracks. Its **** poor to have a mold garden sprout on your Service Alphas/Class A's. every night.

I'm proud of all of my military service, Marine Corps and Army. Rest assured the problems don't exist because soldiers don't know how to use gp cleaner and a green monster.
    Lastly, all the politicians are going to take advantage of this minor event. Bottom line up front. Should have been squared away ASAP at the unit level. Not trying to sound like a highbrow Sociologist, but the demographic change from less than half to more than two thirds families versus single in a decade has had a significant impact on single soldier facilities. The entire military is stretched thin right now in resources, both human and financial. SSG(former Marine Corps Cpl) Martin

USS Nassau LPH 4(?) I'm getting old. According to the squids, her maiden voyage. Went to Cuba to reinforce the barracks when Castro threatened to have the Marines thrown off the base with help from his Russian friends.

Do Coast Guard vessels count?

I did 6 months on the USS Austin (LPD 4) and 6 months on the USS Shreveport (LPD ?) Good times.....read my profile for details...

Thread Information