Sound Off!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Sound Off!!!

All those Marines that live and have lived on ship, tell the rest of us what ship you were or are on, when, and how it was/is.

Lcpl Miller USS Essex, 2007 and current, Big ship hard to get around.

I could tell ya,but then I'd have to KILL YA....

18 Days on the LUXURY LINER APA USS J C BRECKINRIDGE
    in the heart of a typhoon sept 1960.
    stacked 12 high in the lovely forward hold,with about 1500 stinking Marines.,and beleive me with a tea cup of water a day to shlt,shower and shave with, we all smelt pretty rank

11 days total, thank God!

We locked the gates at Olongapo in 1992 and left for Hong Kong on the cruise-liner USS Dubuque or DePuke.

I puked the whole way there, well until I ran out. Attributed to high seas, and purging myself from Olongapo!

We spent 5 days in Hong Kong on pure libo, drinking like a fish and partying like rock stars.

Then we got back on the Dubuque and went to join the battalion in Oki, and I puked the whole way there, or until I ran out. Attributed to high seas and purging myself from Hong Kong!

Coral Sea, Belleau Wood, Kilauea...you can have em all i'm a land hand and no i did not enlist in or ask to join the freaking Navy!

--->dave

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    Attributed to high seas and purging myself...
    Hey those high seas and heavy winds around Japan are no joke in the winter time. I never did yack but found it hard to keep from snagging cargo pockets on passageway widgets and keeping a grip on a victual tray and bug juice while trying to feed, the mess decks were quiet when the ship was pitching like a cork.

--->Dave

3 months pvt phillips aussie and korea

Yea Dave That's No Sh-t About The Sea Of Japan. We Left Diago In January 65 On The Gaffney Was On Mess Duty All 21 Days To Oki. Dirty Stinking Bucket Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    USS Tripoli, LPH 10. 3 Months. had a lovely Christmas. { Started to enjoy Pakistani music ]

USS Barrett in 1963 enroute to Okinawa, Japan, for 30 days. AND we went through a typhoon!!!!!! Talk about a mix-master!!!!! We had some Marines so seasick they couldn't drink water!!

SEMPER FI,

Two months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, eight months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain in the Suez area, one month aboard the aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, a couple of weeks aboard an AKA from Puerto Rico to Morehead City, NC, a couple of weeks aboard an LST from Japan to Taiwan, a trip from San Diego to Japan on the Breckenridge. Maybe some I've missed.

I used to delight in comparing notes with sailors, even Chiefs, and finding I had more time aboard ship than they did.

On the LST from Japan to Taiwan, one of the crew on the LST had been in grade school with me. That made the local newspaper.

crate

Quote Originally Posted by OLE SARG
    USS Barrett in 1963 enroute to Okinawa, Japan, for 30 days. AND we went through a typhoon!!!!!! Talk about a mix-master!!!!! We had some Marines so seasick they couldn't drink water!!

SEMPER FI,
    I went through one of those too, on the way back from Australia to Oki

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Gotta think back a ways....

USS Cleveland, LPD 4 ?? about a week '76
    USS Iwo Jima, LPH 3 ?? Westpac '76 to '77
    USS Portland, LSD 37, Med '77 to '78
    USS Nassau, LHA 4, to GitMo and back '79

Can't recall the numbers on the Cleveland and Iwo for sure. Maybe the Cleveland was '7'.

Best nights sleep I remember was riding out a storm out on the way back from the Med. About 2 days out of Rota, dropped sea anchor, flooded the well deck, and rode it out for @ 2 days. Just rocked ya to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by crate78
    Two months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, eight months aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain in the Suez area, one month aboard the aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, a couple of weeks aboard an AKA from Puerto Rico to Morehead City, NC, a couple of weeks aboard an LST from Japan to Taiwan, a trip from San Diego to Japan on the Breckenridge. Maybe some I've missed.

I used to delight in comparing notes with sailors, even Chiefs, and finding I had more time aboard ship than they did.

On the LST from Japan to Taiwan, one of the crew on the LST had been in grade school with me. That made the local newspaper.

crate
    Ah, Crate ole buddy, that was the LST1170, The Windham County!! Remember her well. My compartment was just aft of the chain locker. Needless to say, but I slept better on deck than I did in my rack.

USS Princeton, LPH-5. Games on Mendora Island, back to Oki then back out to sea heading to Vietnam, 1962. The racks were 8 deep and you had to slide out to turn over. We hit a typhoon, the destroyers with us were going completely under the high waves. What a ride! I picked an MOS that I thought would keep me off of a ship. Wrong!, not as a Marine!!!

Thread Information