Sound Off!!! - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Well, this is interesting. I see a lot of us were on the same ship, although different times, or on the same deployment.

USS Guadalcanal LPH-7, Operation Steelpike.
    USS Princeton LPH-5, off Vietnam
    USS Okinawa LPH-3, off Vietnam
    Uss Iwo Jima LPH-2, off Vietnam
    Uss Guam, LPH-9, Grenada

What I always got a kick out of was my little brother did 25 years active in the USN and retired HMCS (E-8). Most of his career was FMF as a DOC. With my active duty and USMCR time, I pulled more sea duty than he did, and I never let him forget it..

My buddy was a Sr. chief as well....and he had like 14 years of Sea Time, I think he was in about 30 years though...We were on the USS Shreveport together...It was cool, because he had his own office and stuff...I always tried to meet as many people as I could..I couldn't sit in our living space all the time...

You know what's really funny Corporal? Can not speak for other type ships, but, on LPH's the Food Service NCO was a CPO. I learned an old trick from a WW11 and Korean War Gunny. I would volunteer some of my guys for mess duty. Hey, volunteer 4-5 Marines per meal, kept them PVT's and PFC's occupied. The reward was we ate like Kings, kid you not. Hell, I even helped serve some meals. A Battalion of Marines, plus Airwingers, and the ships crew, were a lot of mouths to feed.

Riddle me this: Do you think all that leftover chow went into the garbage chute on the fantail?

USS Antietam - 2 weeks for carrier quals - 1961
    USS Franklin D. Roosevelt - 2 weeks carrier quals - 1963
    The mess on both was reasonable. On the Antietam, no air conditioning,talk about hot in the birth's. Loved it on the Roosevelt, when all our planes, A4D's shyhawks were in the air, we laid on the gun turrets and, (got a nice tan) while we watched the sailors do their thing on deck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nice memory,, USS Tripoli, LPH 10. One month of powdered eggs, powdered milk, powdered potatoes, and salt water showers. But then, Food is food. I didn't miss a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by millar123
    All those Marines that live and have lived on ship, tell the rest of us what ship you were or are on, when, and how it was/is.

Lcpl Miller USS Essex, 2007 and current, Big ship hard to get around.
    Hey, I'm on this hunk of junk as well. Worthless.

Hey, how 'bout us "Fam Mbrs" & "Others"?

I didn't serve on a ship but I DID ride on the USS Blue Ridge to Taiwan and Korea. Both were for dependent cruises the .mil occasionally does (did?). Both cruises were back in the mid '70's and we sailed out of White Beach on Oki. Man, this was back in the day when squids could still wear beards!!! I remember on the Korea cruise, a squid was smoking a joint while on watch at night and fell overboard. Quite a commotion, I can tell ya! We found him...

My dad was SenMarO for CinCPac so we got to eat in the Captain's quarters and I'll never forget how uptight I was! I was a young teen and it was ABSOLUTELY the fanciest dining I'd ever been exposed to!!! Silver and china and frigging salad forks and little Filipino serving guys who kept calling me "Sir" and waited on me hand and foot...it really freaked me out! I was so relieved when my dad told us we could also eat in the messhall...burgers and fries and coke in a wax cup were good enough for me!

I also liked watching the shipboard movies there as well instead of the private viewing for the officers. The enlisted guys teased us and stuff but they were really friendly. I have good memories of those cruises. I really liked standing at the bow (or close to it) and seeing dolphins running besides us. There's a fearsome beautiful majesty to the open sea so many people will never now!

USS Peleliu LHA-5 (14 months sea service)

1999 11th MEU (SOC)
    2001-2002 15th MEU (SOC)

That ship is home to me. I miss being on it. It took me to places that I might not ever get to see again.

Thailand, Singapore, Korea, Hawaii(x4), Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Qautar, East Timor, Indonesia, Australia (Sydney, Darwin, Perth)

Okay some places I don't want to go back to.

USS Boxer 29 April 2008-26 June 2008 Operation Continuing Promise
    San Diego to Guatemala
    Guatemala to El Salvador
    El Salvador to Peru
    Peru to San Diego

the most worthless two months of my life. I'm an armorer at 46 squadron...I have nothing to do on land and had even less to do on the ship. the only productive thing i did was i got off in Guatemala and helped the Seabees paint a church and got off in El Salvador and helped the Navy dental techs. We got a day and a half of libo in Peru which was awesome...what i can remember of it anyways. But i did end up making some friends in the berthing which is surprising since most of the Navy females were annoying. It was fun on some days but most of the time it was boring. But I am proud to say that I am a Shellback haha.

Top Sharetts

I've mostly been on APA's, and LST's, one short ride on a Chopper Carrier coming back from Nam. However, my favorite sea going ride was a 6 months Med Cruise on the USS LaSalle, LPD-3. It was part of her shake down cruise and we were the first troops on board. That baby could roll. But it was like a cradle.

OOHRAH

USS Guam in 88 for workup, USS Iwo Jima 3-88 thru 8-88 Med Cruise, USS Nassau for Desert Shield/Desert Storm

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

USS Guam LPH-9, pre Grenada invasion.

USS Guam LPH-9, pre Grenada invasion.

I can't believe I'm the only here that posted being on the USS Saipan as old is it is!!!!

Was on it going to Iraq Jan. 03 - Feb. 03. Coming back May 03 - June 03

USS Iwo Jima LPH 2 and we had an acronym for it, I want one Jammed in my A** little pricks hurt 2

Thread Information