Marines at Navy ET School Treasure Island
Create Post

Marines at Navy ET School Treasure Island

Anyone around from the Marine det at Navy ET School at Treasure Island, 1957-58 timeframe?

Yes, there were Marines going to Navy ET "A" School at Treasure Island, a whole barracks full! (Barracks 119)

Back in that timeframe the Corps did not teach basic electronics, they sent young 'slick sleeves' like myself to Treasure Island, for a 12-week school, in the same classes as Sailors. We would then go on to Marine Corps MOS Schools for specific equipment training.

Treasure Island was super liberty!, if you could afford it on E-1 pay, and if your school grades were good enough, you got mid-week cinderella liberty. The liberty was too good, and a lot of guys grades suffered.

Shortly after this timeframe the Corps started their own basic electronics school, at 29 Stumps, didn't have to worry about 'super liberty' !!!

Hey I just visited TI for the first time since 1959 and was disappointed no Barracks 119. The place is run down but what do u expect from civilians. I was hoping to see some signs of where we lived for six months and went to school. Does anyone have a map of the place that shows places in 1959?

Gunther

Credits
    Savings
    Passed through there in 69
    This was returning to the " world"

Accountability was pitiful !
    No real units there, just a bunch of short timers

thx -when we came back from Japan in 61 we passed underneath the Golden gate but tied up at the Army's Pier in the Port of SF and then back to MCAF Sanat Anna.

Thread Information