Deployment
Create Post

Thread: Deployment

Deployment

I have been reading this website a lot and have watched the news. The news is always talking about the Marines killed in Iraq or injuried.
    Sometimes I have heard people talk and say the Marines who died were Intel or M.P's or Infantry.
    Also they say that Intel is a highly deployable job.

I'm wondering if alot of the Marines who are being killed in Iraq have those jobs because its a highly deployable job or becasue they are on the front lines.

Pretty much I am just wondering what are the jobs that get deployed the most? Infantry?

What are the jobs that are the least likely to get deployed. and whats the reason they dont get deployed? Like would lawyers and accountants get deployed? or even firefighters?

thanks for help

Every job is deployed. If it isn't needed in a combat zone it isn't needed in the Marine Corps.

Lawyers give briefs to people before they go on missions, etc... To do so, they must be in the area of operations.
    Accountants deploy with their unit. When the unit goes, they will as well.
    The only firefighters are the crash crews. If Marine Corps aircraft are operating, there is someone there to put the fire out if something goes wrong.

If you're talking about kicking in doors- that is the domain of the infantry- but other people can find themselves doing it as well. Every Marine is a rifleman, all other conditions are secondary.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Staples2
    I have been reading this website a lot and have watched the news. The news is always talking about the Marines killed in Iraq or injuried.
    Sometimes I have heard people talk and say the Marines who died were Intel or M.P's or Infantry.
    Also they say that Intel is a highly deployable job.

I'm wondering if alot of the Marines who are being killed in Iraq have those jobs because its a highly deployable job or becasue they are on the front lines.

Pretty much I am just wondering what are the jobs that get deployed the most? Infantry?

What are the jobs that are the least likely to get deployed. and whats the reason they dont get deployed? Like would lawyers and accountants get deployed? or even firefighters?

thanks for help
    The intel guys are probably mostly counterintelligence people. They spend a lot of time deep in the field scraping up human intel. Some of the most highly decorated Marines I knew had been CI types in Vietnam. CI also, percentage-wise, suffered a higher casualty rate than infantry in Vietnam.

MPs are getting whacked and so are Motor Transport people (those who drive most of the big trucks). They're out on the convoys finding IEDs the hard way. Grunts get whacked because they are grunts, at very tippy, pointy end of the sh*tty stick looking for the bad guys up close and personal.

If I remember some old stats from Vietnam, CI guys, infantry (includes Recon), and Motor T, in that order, had the highest casualty rates in Vietnam (by percentage of their MOS in-country). At least 50% of the Vietnam vet instructors at my Motor T school had a Purple Heart and the scars to back it up. I don't see Iraq being that much different.

Every Marine is likely to be deployed at some time, and every deployed Marine has a good chance of being shot at, mortared, rocketed, IED'd , or otherwise annoyed by the bad guys.

Staples2...
    Short answer from the MARINE CORPS TIMES in January 2007:

The Corps’ 66,000 leathernecks who have not yet deployed to Iraq — more than one-third of the active-duty force — are now on-deck for combat, according to a new policy issued by the Corps’ top commander Jan. 19.
    The Corps will immediately begin reviewing personnel assignments with the intent of sending all Marines into Iraq, Commandant Gen. James Conway told commanders in an all-Marine message titled “Every Marine Into the Fight.”

Under Conway’s plan, Marines without Iraq experience could be reassigned to new units. Conway also urged commanders to support Marine requests to go into combat.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Leonard, old buddy, I love that post. Tells it all. And congrats to Gen. Conway,,,,,, Must be a Marines Marine.

if you are worried about what jobs get deployed and who gets killed more often, you probably shouldn't be considering the Marine Corps.

I second spartan on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanMullet
    if you are worried about what jobs get deployed and who gets killed more often, you probably shouldn't be considering the Marine Corps.
    on my profile I checked the box for not interested in joing the Marine Corps. I'm not sure what it isn't showing up on my profile. but anyway, I'm not planning or thinking about joing. I was just wondering, becasue I hear so much on the News about Iraq and soilders and Marines dieing.

Thanks all for answering my question.

If you want to know what's going on in iraq then grow a set and join when you're old enough. Yes, Marines are dying in iraq...it's called war. Not really sure why you would come onto this site to ask that though.

Thread Information