Switching Branches
Create Post

Switching Branches

My buddy decided to join the Navy a wilhe back. He's in DEP and he wants to work with computers. I went the Marine Corps route, and after I showed him he can do what he wants in the Marine Corps, hes become more intrested. If he wanted to switch out of Navy DEP and join the Marine Corps, does he have to wait a certin ammount of time or does he just let the Navy recruiter know, get discharged, and then sigh up with the Marines? Thanks.

THE NAVY, what was your buddy thinkin?! You need to get him out of there before he turns gay & get him in the Marine DEP!

wow kelley, how completely unnecessary... dont EVER down another military branch, do you think you're a Marine already? Respect all branches of service no matter what.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sure there's something available, they swear you into the services, not into a branch right? Tell him to talk to the Recruiters, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to get a guy whos done all the MEPS stuff!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbx9
    I'm sure there's something available, they swear you into the services, not into a branch right? Tell him to talk to the Recruiters, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to get a guy whos done all the MEPS stuff!
    No, you're sworn into a particular branch.

The friend needs to see a Marine recruiter and find out what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    No, you're sworn into a particular branch.

The friend needs to see a Marine recruiter and find out what can be done.
    Last I knew there were restrictions on talking to those in another branches DEP to keep the poaching at a minimum. Maybe a talk with the Navy Recruiter and the Marines can straighten it out?

Quote Originally Posted by kelley26
    THE NAVY, what was your buddy thinkin?! You need to get him out of there before he turns gay & get him in the Marine DEP!
    Yeah... let's not be an idiot.

I believe he can get out of the Navy contract up until the point he takes the oath at MEPS on the day he ships out.

He should see the Marine recruiter to see what he can work.

You can break the DEP Contract and re-enlist in the USMC, i'v seen it done. Usually there is a 6 month wait before you can re-enlist in any other service though.

I personally had an extremely similiar situation to this. I initially DEP'd into the Navy under the SEAL Challenge Contract. I didn't know though that if you fail at all, you're basically chipping paint for 4-5 years--so I decided to opt out and not ship.

You will be discharged from the Navy, and they will send you a Customer Evaluation Form asking why you decided not to ship, etc., etc.

Tell your friend to go to his Navy recruiter and be as polite and cordial as possible, and just explain his situation. They will try to tell him he can't do that, that he will get in trouble for not shipping, etc. Just tell him to stand his ground and that he wants to join the Marine Corps.

After he has been discharged from the Navy DEP, he will be allowed to talk to a Marine Corps recruiter. But regulations prohibit ANY contact with another recruiter of another branch while someone is in the DEP of a different service--so the Marine Corps recruiter can't really help him right now.

That's what I did at least, and now I'm in the Corps

We had a poolee from my RS that had switched from the navy, so it is possible as PFC. mcgannph said.

Thread Information