Pull ups
Create Post

Thread: Pull ups

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Pull ups

I've searched this, but it came up with 500 results, so please dont bash me for not looking through all of them! lol, anyway, what is the proper way the Marine Corps grades a pull up? The biggest part of it I don't know is whether you have palms facing inwards, or outwards. If there's already a thread on this that I missed during my quick glance, I'll gladly take my business to that thread, but I didn't see it when i searched and scanned. Thanks for your time.

palms facing inward or outward is your choice,they dont care how you do it..they both work different muscles.1 full pull up graded by a full downward release with arms completely outstretched and a upward pull with your chin above or touching the bar.they also do not allow kicking to get yourself your momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling
    palms facing inward or outward is your choice,they dont care how you do it..they both work different muscles.1 full pull up graded by a full downward release with arms completely outstretched and a upward pull with your chin above or touching the bar.they also do not allow kicking to get yourself your momentum.
    That's why PFT's are done w/o sweat shirts so the arms can be observed!!

I was honored to go to a Poolee meeting with my nephew in Texarkana couple weeks back. It was amusing, yet kinda sad to see how some struggled with pullups. The Sgt. in charge didn't cut them any slack, however!! He insisted they do them correctly.

Credits
    Savings
    Ahh thank you very much, that was the answer i was looking for.

Just as a side note, a recruiter at my RSS says that having the palms facing away is the easiest way to get 20 pull ups because it works the back, which is larger than your biceps. I've also noticed that the people who do the must pull ups are the ones who do it that way.

I thought your palms had to be facing outwards. I guess my biceps are stronger than my back, because I can do about 18 with palms facing in and only like, 7-8 with them out lol.

I can do 15 both ways, doesn't matter to me. I remember back in the begining of this month. I couldn't do 1. So it's not possible, just gotta keep working on it.

Its not that your biceps are stonger than your back, you probably use your biceps more, therefore they dont fatigue as fast as your back. The reason its easier palms out is because there is a group of muscles your using in your back, not just the two on your arms

not many people know this but your tricep is actually your strongest

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by marinepooly1361
    Its not that your biceps are stonger than your back, you probably use your biceps more, therefore they dont fatigue as fast as your back. The reason its easier palms out is because there is a group of muscles your using in your back, not just the two on your arms

not many people know this but your tricep is actually your strongest
    Yeah, from what i remember of anatomy class the tricep covers about 60% of your arm and the bicep only 30 i believe? Those numbers might be off give or take 10%.

it probably depends on the individual. i'm much stronger with palms facing me, using biceps. when i was in boot camp, our senior Drill Instructor wouldn't let anyone in our platoon use palms forward. we won both PFT's so i think it works!

Thread Information